Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does the Empire or Bretonnia have better knights?

LuminousKnightLuminousKnight Registered Users Posts: 9

Does the Empire or Bretonnia have better knights? 116 votes

Empire
15%
NightOfTheDeadfisher26_1tomdoof#6883Krabbz#7495MasterSayo01#2856Igbengbsaweendra#3399zinthirDragonbroodlingsValraSillybilly#1412chaosdwarf#2622Clsmith88#2385Zandophen#9588D4nz0N1nj4Wr1t3r#6847Tavion3NethoDuran0LuminousKnight 18 votes
Bretonnians
84%
Freden#5415karlvontyrPr4vda#6038bli-nk#6314Serkelet#1834ErminazMaedrethnir#1968Nitros14#7973Archimonde#3681NeverBackDown#9942Baron_RobbaneDukeusHondlis#2158BeardedragonKayosivKrunch#7448gekjOrontes#2247mewade44#6520Odie0351#7867 98 votes

Comments

• Uagrim#4644Uagrim#4644 Registered Users Posts: 2,079
    Bretonnians
    How is that even a question?
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,849
    Bretonnians
    Empire Knights have better armor and better morale.

Bretonnian knights have better training, better horses, and the blessing of the lady.

Empire Knights are excellent but Brettonian speed, formation practice, and faith gives them a slight edge.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • Krabbz#7495Krabbz#7495 FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    Empire
    In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Shows how poorly Bretonnia is in game.
  • KIT#5531KIT#5531 Registered Users Posts: 485
    Bretonnians
    The Bretonian cav. is better in general but the demis are souhld be superior caus they sloughter horess.
    Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Why is the Empires cav. better?
  • Nazjax#2857Nazjax#2857 Registered Users Posts: 2,557
    Lore question or in the game ?

Because technicaly demigryffons beat grail knights and guardians.
    But knights of the realm are just better than empire knights and reiksguard.
    Bretonnia knights are more cost efficient and have more variety.

PS : Boost Bretonnia (and HE) horses speed like Empire please.

In the lore... you already know the answer I guess...
  • ammo2095#8079ammo2095#8079 Registered Users Posts: 1,548
    Bretonnians
    They are more skilled and synergise better with Bretonnian lords. Empire obviously has tankier cav that deals more damage, but until the late game, that's not what it's mainly about.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,328
    edited August 28
    Empire
    KIT1986 said:

The Bretonian cav. is better in general but the demis are souhld be superior caus they sloughter horess.

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Demigryphs better

78 speed with 110 armor for normal cav better

Its the same tt as well demis are stronger

And they have better support cav in outsiders..etc.

And have plenty of weapon variety in knightly orders yet to be fully implemented

The only place bret knights are better is in lore.
    In tt they were good empire better due to demis.
    Nazjax said:

Knights of the realm loose to rekisguard

Grail knights can loose to knights of the blazing sun given the right conditions in wh2 not sure on wh 3.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Empire
    Uagrim said:

How is that even a question?

Because empire curb stomps bret in game and probably in tt as well using demis.

Hell i wouldn't be surprised with the recent buffs rekisguard could beat grail knights with the right conditions

• KIT#5531KIT#5531 Registered Users Posts: 485
    Bretonnians
    saweendra said:

KIT1986 said:

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Demigryphs better

And have plenty of weapon variety in knightly orders yet to be fully implemented

Nazjax said:

Grail knights can loose to knights of the blazing sun given the right conditions in wh2 not sure on wh 3.
    But the Bretonian got the hypogriph knights. These units not only the best cav. in the game they are also one of the best units in the game! And the royal pegasus knights are the stroges anti-lagre flying unit. They kill a dragon in seconds!
    Empire
    KIT1986 said:

saweendra said:

KIT1986 said:

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Demigryphs better

Nazjax said:

But the Bretonian got the hypogriph knights. These units not only the best cav. in the game they are also one of the best units in the game! And the royal pegasus knights are the stroges anti-lagre flying unit. They kill a dragon in seconds!
    not the intended role of either unit Hypgryphs awesome units meant mostly for air to ground attacks to terror bomb or goon . not really good in cav vs cav fight

same with RPK awesome units kills most non armor flying units but can not 1v1 kill other high tier cav units in frontal charge
    basically both units are good but not in the scenario of cav domination .

• KhorneBull#5991KhorneBull#5991 Registered Users Posts: 382
    In lore Bretonnia.
    In c.a.s version the Empire.
  • lcmiracle#6727lcmiracle#6727 Registered Users Posts: 1,015
    Bretonnians
    Is this an in-game question, or a TT/lore question?
  • ValraValra Registered Users Posts: 154
    Empire
    Is that even a real question, considering that these bad boys exist?

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,395
    Kinda depends on what you mean by the question. Bretonnians have the better riders in Grail Knights, but it's also worth noting that they also technically have the worst knights in Knights Errant. Empire knights are consistently at at least KotR level since their equivalent of Knights Errant are Pistoliers, but don't reach Grail Knight level.

If you're asking about who has the scarier heavy cavalry overall, though, the demigryphs push the Empire ahead.

Unless you care about flying, in which case Bretonnians win by default.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,218
    Bretonnians
    In lore? Fair Bretonnia!
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,123
    edited August 28
    Bretonnians
    Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Was it hugely different in TT? Empire still had capable cav array, but slso combined arms.

Here i vote Bretonnia because they cover every tier/role and also have an elf enchanting them.

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Was it hugely different in TT? Empire still had capable cav array, but slso combined arms.

Here i vote Bretonnia because they cover every tier/role and also have an elf enchanting them.
    Bretonnia's last army book was in 6E, so they were basically two editions of powercreep behind. There are concepts floating around that suggests there were plans to expand them that were never realised.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,302
    Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

This.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,302
    edited August 28

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

Lol yes. A whole empire knights army was trash.

A whole Bretonnian knight errant army? The blessing, price and lance formation was OP as hell.

Ive seen tournaments be won with many small to medium sized units of cheap knights errants (by poor players). The lance formation and price for them made them roll whole lines. One of the most OP spams in the tt. In class with ratling guns in 7th edition or later edition daemons (but here the whole list was OP).

We once for lolz tried to counter the list with the most OP anti cav list we could think of in my club. It lost more times than it won.

The spam got banned in many tournaments.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.

All knights, yes, but I recall Knights of the Holy Cannonball being a thing. I think it involved knights filling the core, cannons, two steam tanks, and a War Altar.
  • #387480#387480 Registered Users Posts: 111
    Bretonnians
    Draxynnic said:

All knights, yes, but I recall Knights of the Holy Cannonball being a thing. I think it involved knights filling the core, cannons, two steam tanks, and a War Altar.
    Ah yes the 1+ armor spam army. I remember a Grand Master, Lv 4, Peg Captains, IC Knights core, Steam Tank and Demi’s. Sometimes a Light Council instead of peg spam. It wasn’t the best Empire army but some people had an uphill struggle overcoming the armor saves.
    edited August 28
    Empire

• lcmiracle#6727lcmiracle#6727 Registered Users Posts: 1,015
    Bretonnians

Krabbz said:

In game, Empire.

In lore, Bretonnia.

In 8e, except for the Demigryph Knights, Bretonnia had both worse and better knights than the Empire. Going by pure stats of the Knights themselves, Grail Knights are still leagues above the best knight in the Empire. Knights Errants are cheaper but worse stats-wise than Empire Knights, and Knights of the Realm is basically the same as Empire Knight stat-wise. And Bretonnia has flying Knights and Empire still do not in 8E.

Of course keep in mind that Empire Knights all have better armour to Bretonnian knights, but Bretonnians have ward saves (though the prayer rule was pretty silly).
  • afverrall#1754afverrall#1754 Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    edited August 28
    Bretonnians
    Its hard for bretonnia to compare to a faction 2 editions ahead of them. In game I find especialy in campagin bretonnian knights completely outperform empire knights, the armoury building does a lot when bretonnia is unified a ward save on all you best cavalry from temeple tithes and good red skill line.

I find imperial knights perform a role in a larger army whilst bret knights carry the army. This is completly fine as the empire has many, many good options in battle.

Also I find Hippogriff knighs and royal pegasus knights are more useful than demis mid- late game in my experience.
  • Pr4vda#6038Pr4vda#6038 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,326
    Bretonnians
    Bretonnia needs their questing beasts though.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
    edited August 28
    Bretonnians
    Paladins and damsels need better skills as well and a virtue mechanic like ogre big names and woc paths to power.
  • Serkelet#1834Serkelet#1834 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,074
    Bretonnians
    Bretonnia is better overall. Demis are very strong, but Bretonnia has Pegasus and Hippogryph cavalry...
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,212

In the lore, in the game, on TT?
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,396
    Bretonnian knights are SUPPOSED to be best.
    Bretonnians
    In campagin they are the best knights.