Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What unit tier do you prefer for Lord Pack units?

ThilocMoths#8763ThilocMoths#8763 RussiaRegistered Users Posts: 69
Do you prefer CA adding stuff like Empire archers, High Elf rangers, or Nurgle marauders to spice up the early game. or do you prefer CA to raise the power level of a faction in the late game with units like Sisters of Avelorn, Bladesingers or Dread Saurian?

Personally, as someone who always hated doomstacks, I would prefer for CA to primarily add low/mid tier units in Lord Packs, giving races more options on how to deal with things, but not improving their ability to doomstack.

When a faction gets top tier units in every category it becomes an absolute cancer to fight late in the campaign, like Empire or High Elves, so it's to the overall benefit of the campaign experience to have races that excels in only one or two unit categories in the late game, it keeps things more varied and more manageable.

Also high tier setpiece units see barely any use in MP, where chaff and cost effective mid tier units are preferred, so a Lord Pack with lower tier units benefit MP scene a lot more.

What unit tier do you prefer for Lord Pack units? 32 votes

Early game/ Low tier units.
34%
NightOfTheDeadmewade44#6520MasterSayo01#2856ShiraiZensho#2852ERICdbsX99X_00#2084MrSir231Teegan2004Ironhelm#8763lightinfaGuttrench#8929 11 votes
Late game / High tier units.
65%
Serkelet#1834tqhung87Bayes#3307Maedrethnir#1968Nazjax#2857GettoGecko#7861FinishingLast#1402razenb#1517Lunaticprince#9972Floki816fireprism100#4921steam_164509919181MUJbunRsirItanDrawVids#5775nyobienvegener#1493hillbillymachinegunVolzhin#3779#326352kaiki_utokyo#9006 21 votes

Comments

• afverrall#1754afverrall#1754 Registered Users Posts: 1,311
  • ThilocMoths#8763ThilocMoths#8763 RussiaRegistered Users Posts: 69
    afverrall said:

A mix tbh.

And if you had to choose between only getting a low tier units DLC, or only getting high tier units one?
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,849

afverrall said:

A mix tbh.

And if you had to choose between only getting a low tier units DLC, or only getting high tier units one?
    Then I would choose a mix, because that is the answer.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • AxiosXiphos#9040AxiosXiphos#9040 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,523
    Yeah; Where's the both option?
  • Chronoid#8775Chronoid#8775 Registered Users Posts: 341
    If I had to say in general terms, a mix.

But really the correct answer is that it depends on the what that race's roster currently has/lacks
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,552
    Dont care, I make thematic armies without caring if the units are low tier or high
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • bli-nk#6314bli-nk#6314 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,959
    edited August 29
    It really depends on the races roster the Lord pack is adding to.

Lizardmen for example the Coatls, Salamanders, and Red Skinks were perfect additions to their roster but for Greenskins, all the Rollerz didn't add much due to plethora of low/mid-tier unit options but the Waaagh Wyverns, Stone Trolls, and Rogue Idols were awesome.

Races with obvious gaps in their roster; Bretonnia (infantry), Vampires (ranged), Dwarfs (cavalry), Kislev (flyers), and TK (flyers- has Carrion which are worse than Bats).

That said, not every race should have all roster gaps filled by an easily recruitable unit. Most of the races with particular gap can already use Allies and Outposts so I'd think special RoR unit or an upgrade of a unit a race has only at a low tier would be the most useful.

Example- Bretonnia has low tier ranged, so having a LP that includes a mid-tier ranged like Bowmen would be nice without giving up the entire race balance by adding anything more than a single infantry RoR.

Also- if Dogs of War does not do this, having an LP that adds some units recruitable from Landmark buildings by whoever controls that Landmark would be cool.

Halflings, Griffon Pride, Fellbeast, Giant Scorpion, Feral Kharibdyss, Feral Culchan pack, Mystical Monks, Shadow Bands, Swivel Guns, Landship, Fey Spirits(aspiring champion version of Hexwraiths recruited in magical forests), Naiads (living water spirits recruitable at the mouths of the great rivers except River Ruin).
    Post edited by bli-nk#6314 on
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.” Mark Twain

afverrall said:

A mix tbh.

Low tier tbh they tend to be more impactful in my experience. But its not realistic I would rather get access to dlc u its througout a game rather than frount loading or back loading them.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,648
    A mix of both. Elite units are cool but it’s the early game units that define a campaign.

As Oxyotl for example you get Troglodons and Coatls only later around turn 50-60. but Chameleon Stalkers are your rank and file from turn 1.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275
    No option for mid-tier units or for a mix. A mix is best as it adds units that you access throughout the campaign. Eltharion was almost perfect in that way, with early, mid and late game units.
    The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.
    KN_Gars said:

No option for mid-tier units or for a mix. A mix is best as it adds units that you access throughout the campaign. Eltharion was almost perfect in that way, with early, mid and late game units.

Rangers were a real game changer for early game.
  • Krabbz#7495Krabbz#7495 FranceRegistered Users Posts: 591
    Here's my poll.

What's the color of Greenskin's skin ?

a) Not blue

b) Not red
  • MrSir231MrSir231 Registered Users Posts: 70
    Early game/ Low tier units.
    1 Tier 5 unit/1 tier 4 at most in my opinion. A lord pack with nothing but tier 4/5 units becomes too necessary for the race as a purchase.
  • HowTheStarsBurn#4488HowTheStarsBurn#4488 Registered Users Posts: 766
    Poll writing quality is at an all-time low.
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,221
    Late game / High tier units.
    I have only one brain cell, but it is high tier, and it roars like a monster.
  • DarthEnderX-#6513DarthEnderX-#6513 Registered Users Posts: 4,742
    I mean...normally I would say, the high end stuff. Because the low end stuff is usually well taken care of in the base roster.

Although that wasn't the case with monogods. All of them except Slaanesh were missing their most basic unit type, marauders, on launch. They were all missing the 0-tier units they really deserved. Which, fortunately, was rectified by LP1. But they really shoulda been there to start with.
    "Assassination's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it."