Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[Art] Chaos God: Slaanesh

Jaxhammer#8130Jaxhammer#8130 USA (unfortunately)Registered Users Posts: 67
edited September 8 in General Discussion
Morning Everyone! Previously, I presented my rendition of Khorne to the forums and he was received mostly positively. Now, some weeks later, I've sat down and over the last three days come up with my version of Slaanesh. I'd liked to share it!

Please take this (conviently cropped) version of the Pleasure God.

Close up:

The Why Of The Design:

Since Slaanesh is the least depicted of the four, this design is mostly my own, although it is decently informed by lore (though I must remind: I'm not super concerned about lore accuracy). "Slaves to Darkness" describes Slaanesh as being "Male on one side, female on the other" as well as having "golden hair". I decided to make his hair gold-white, almost a Targaryen blond. Warhammer 3 depicts Slaanesh as a six armed being. Many sources describe him as "Youthful" ("Most often Slaanesh is portrayed as a youthful male, full of life and with an irresistible allure." - Tome of Excess); were he in a humanoid form, he'd probably be in his mid-20s. Slaanesh is often referred to as "the serpent" and his followers are likened to snakes a lot, which is the primary reason for his long face and wide, serpentine grin. Azazel is said to be the second most beautiful demon, so I took some cues from him while designing Slaanesh. Slaanesh is the "Oriental Cat" (long face) to Azazel's "Domestic Short Hair" (short face). His horns are Ibex inspired; the Ibex is a goat, animals that often represent virility, carnality in it's more questionable aspect, and of course, are heavily associated with demons. This is supposed to be a "default" form; as we know, Slaanesh is a shapeshifter. I wanted him to be more humanoid, relative to his brothers, but still monstrous relative to actual men and elves.Oh, and he can do this.

An Aside:

I always thought it was amusing, and somewhat disappointing, that almost all depictions of Slaanesh in fanworks are just...generic female sex demons. It's interesting, too, because the WH community on average seems to be much more interested in being lore-faithful than other communities I've been in. This is by far the most circulated image of Slaanesh in the community, to the point where many put it forth as canon. Hell, even I took inspiration from it for my Slaanesh's hair, because it is a gorgeous piece. But, with Slaanesh being referred to as a guy, "prince" "master (as opposed to mistress)", and "brother" (Notably, I don't think there are any official works that call Slaanesh "sister" or even the "brother-sister" of the other gods), you have to wonder why 99% of his depictions are just Standard Female Demon Design.

The answer to that question: It's because Slaanesh is a "pleasure god" which to many people translates to "woman" in direct opposition to most of the lore. CA really broke the mold by making Slaanesh a guy, I think, and so I'm going in a similar direction with my design instead of the beaten path.

All that being said, I am curious how the community will recieve my version of Slaanesh...

Comments

• saj1987#4378saj1987#4378 Registered Users Posts: 369
    Not how I would envision Slanesh but I like the fact that you put a lot of thought into it. The Khorn one is great btw.
  • Jaxhammer#8130Jaxhammer#8130 USA (unfortunately)Registered Users Posts: 67
    saj1987 said:

Not how I would envision Slanesh but I like the fact that you put a lot of thought into it. The Khorn one is great btw.

Thanks! Yeah, my depiction of Slaanesh is definitely going to be distant than what most of the community thinks for sure, but I appreciate that you see the thought that went into it.

Thanks again :3
  • MammothmanMammothman Registered Users Posts: 165
    edited September 8
    Drawing chaos gods is as difficult as tidying up Nehekara, til no grain of Sand is seen anymore. ;)
  • 1v0#35621v0#3562 Registered Users Posts: 2,330
    Its cool, but I have aways imaginated Slaanesh based on its old lore:

Here some lore:
    "Slaanesh can assume male, female or hermaphrodite form at will, though he mostly manifests himself as a young man -- clean limbed and fresh with the vigour of youth. Slaanesh is seductive as only an immortal can be, disarming in his innocence, utterly beguiling in his manner. Known widely as the Lord of Pleasure, Slaanesh is truly dedicated to the pursuit of excess -- the overthrow of all moderate and decent behaviour.[6a]

Slaanesh is often referred to as a "he," with the masculine gender, though in fact, like all the entities composed of magical energy called the Chaos Gods, it in fact has no true gender, and Slaanesh prefers a far more androgynous appearance than his fellow Ruinous Powers.[6a] "

But your version is closer to the new Lore: This is by CA (and I guess approved by GW)
    Question:Presumably you’ve needed to create a huge number of new Daemon units to properly flesh them out and give them their own armies?
    Answer:IR: What you’ve just said is so true,
    edited September 8

Drawing chaos gods is as difficult as tidying up Nehekara, til no grain of Sand is seen anymore. ;)

True! Nurgle and Tzeentch have been pretty well depicted so I don't think I'm going to touch them.
    1v0 said:

Its cool, but I have aways imaginated Slaanesh based on its old lore:

Here some lore:
    "Slaanesh can assume male, female or hermaphrodite form at will, though he mostly manifests himself as a young man -- clean limbed and fresh with the vigour of youth. Slaanesh is seductive as only an immortal can be, disarming in his innocence, utterly beguiling in his manner. Known widely as the Lord of Pleasure, Slaanesh is truly dedicated to the pursuit of excess -- the overthrow of all moderate and decent behaviour.[6a]

Slaanesh is often referred to as a "he," with the masculine gender, though in fact, like all the entities composed of magical energy called the Chaos Gods, it in fact has no true gender, and Slaanesh prefers a far more androgynous appearance than his fellow Ruinous Powers.[6a] "

But your version is closer to the new Lore: This is by CA (and I guess approved by GW)

Also yes, that is from the Slaves to Darkness book I mentioned. Oldhammer is a good jumping off point for designs, but as you pointed out, CAs ideas for Slaanesh has since changed. Still, that's a very clear picture of Slaanesh, thanks for posting it 👀👀

Edit: Also, the Warhammer wikis are good starting points for lore, but the best sources are the direct ones and not secondary sources. Everything in the OP is a primary source ^^
  • ScottishclaymoreScottishclaymore Registered Users Posts: 287
    Intresting take on Slaanesh, not mine personally but when the god is beautiful beyond words and sickeningly hideous at the same time.. that is a challenge.
  • saj1987#4378saj1987#4378 Registered Users Posts: 369
    Jaxhammer said:

saj1987 said:

Thanks! Yeah, my depiction of Slaanesh is definitely going to be distant than what most of the community thinks for sure, but I appreciate that you see the thought that went into it.

Thanks again :3
    I'll be looking forward to seeing your version of Nurgle :).

Intresting take on Slaanesh, not mine personally but when the god is beautiful beyond words and sickeningly hideous at the same time.. that is a challenge.

Tell me about it. I was trying to capture that "disturbing beauty" here. I think there's an aesthetic appeal, but also an uncanny valley, to the design in those bare bits of human worked in...
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,724
    My favorite God.
    I think I prefer Khorne just a teeny, tiny tad more.

Of course, The Great Horned Rat is the best god in all the Warhammer Properties ;)

Whats up gamers, I've got an update on that design~

I don't think Slaanesh would wear a lot, normally, probably just the armor around his hips (or less). He'd probably wear this during the Court of the Covenent, naturally the god with the most drip there. Also good when Khorne decides to be aggro, since we all know how much they love each other. Nice to have some armor between you and your ragehead of a brother on the off chance he decides to stab you at the meeting lmfao

Enjoy!
    I commissioned that talented friend of mine ago, Gecko, and thought you guys might wanna see~

An array of expressions to capture the pleasure god's character ^^