Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New naval Q&A blog online!

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
edited January 2011 in The Archive
Hi all,

We've blown the doors of our Japanese bune right off to give you guys exclusive information on the naval combat in Shogun 2, thanks to a brand new Q&A with Total War designers Gabor Beressy and Jamie Ferguson.

Even the press haven't had this much detail, so enjoy!

You can check the blog out by clicking this link.
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,064Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited November 2010
    Nice! You sure know how to get us our daily fix. :)
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Nick StoneNick Stone Senior Member Posts: 385Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    When can we get a vid of some footage Craig?

Cheers
    Nick
    [PORTABLE-ID]nickstone[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,064Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited November 2010
    Nick Stone wrote: »
    When can we get a vid of some footage Craig?

Cheers
    Nick

Well. After reading the blog I wouldn't mind a video showing of the naval combat...
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

• DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Well this does confirm european factions. Awesome! :D

And that seagull and whales are in is just great ;)
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

edited November 2010

The fact that there are european ships in the game does not necessarily mean there are european factions involved for things other then trade. In the begining of the 17th century the japanese started to build their own "european style" ships.

• Shinobi.ieShinobi.ie Senior Member Posts: 169Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Ooooh. You have wet my appetite with this. As with the other guys, you have set me up for wanting a sneak peak at some naval warfare.
    This means we have Fog, Snow, Rain and Night time battles.

For some reason I got all excited imagining ships boarding eachother in the moonlight, with gun/canon fire illuminating the samurai as they do battle.
    [PORTABLE-ID]shinobiie[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • ArvenidesArvenides Senior Member Posts: 194Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Nice! This was some interesting information! Hopefully, we will soon get to see some gameplay videos. :)
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited November 2010

I dont believe that will happen ,but if does, the only one will be Portugal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awsome news, fighting in the sea ,with wales !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cantopsychcantopsych Senior Member Posts: 104Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    nice ! :) thanks craig
    [PORTABLE-ID]cantopsych[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • kebabman60kebabman60 Senior Member Posts: 193Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Are the seagulls amd whales going to be a faction?
  • IBlewaFuseIBlewaFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,262Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Nice, Looking good!
  • thedisturbedwolfthedisturbedwolf Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Nice read! I look forward to more info leading up to the release. I know all of you at TCA are busy trying to make this the best game possible, so thank you for your extra time.
  • Stukaboy2Stukaboy2 Senior Member Posts: 364Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    will the whales be able to ram ships? or can you hunt whales and use them in your trading?
    [PORTABLE-ID]stukaboy2[/PORTABLE-ID]

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,062
    edited November 2010
    Awesome stuff, thanks Craig ;)
  • alexalex Senior Member Posts: 1,241Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    great, but european ships will be present at battles like "ronin" (not sure if this would be the correct term) being controlled by the ai or will be possible to build them when there is a proper relationship with the europeans?
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    So, I'm interested to find out - just how prevalent was naval warfare during this period in Japanese history? I really don't know a lot about the period, and I know that Japan in the past has tended to be rather insular (as opposed to the European nations sailing round the world and forging empires). So I'd be interested in finding out what the situation was regarding naval warfare.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • JokerJoker Senior Member Posts: 644Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Interesting read Craig ! Now if you could do something similar with Sieges and while your at it, throw in a video of them ! That would be swell :)
    My top five of next Total War installments:
    1) TW: Rome II
    2) TW: China
    3) TW: Lord of the Rings
    4) TW: Victorian
    5) TW: Star Wars
    [PORTABLE-ID]joker[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • DodanodoDodanodo Senior Member Posts: 260Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    very nice read Craig, thanx
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
    edited November 2010
    So, I'm interested to find out - just how prevalent was naval warfare during this period in Japanese history? I really don't know a lot about the period, and I know that Japan in the past has tended to be rather insular (as opposed to the European nations sailing round the world and forging empires). So I'd be interested in finding out what the situation was regarding naval warfare.

Japanese naval warfare was almost exclusively coastal. In modern terms, they had what you'd call a "green-water", rather than "blue-water" navy.

In Shogun 2 it's the same. Also, introducing land features into the coastal battles makes them all the more enticing, and gives you a sense of perspective and scale.
  • Kinjo-migratedKinjo-migrated Senior Member Posts: 468Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    The question I'm interested in is will we be able to board with more then one ship at a time? in ntw we could only board with one ship on a single side which is a disadvantage for smaller ships. If CA wants to fix naval battles make it where multiple smaller ships can board a larger ship at the same time or at least make where a ship can be boarded from both sides at the same time.
  • DenmarkRulesDenmarkRules Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,192Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Well if we could I think they would have written it. They talk a bit about boardings and this is what I find interesting
    For example you will be able to use a medium ship to board a heavy ship, while one of your light ships can give support fire without risk of being boarded.
    "The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

• SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,842Registered Users, Moderators
    edited November 2010
    Hiring European ships and crews like mercenaries in RTW and M2TW would result in some interesting battles, me thinks.
    Not easy being a gunpowderhead

Forum Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • PATRIOT45PATRIOT45 Senior Member SwitzerlandPosts: 686Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Sounds great! I really like burning ships...
    Watch out: Arena is more addictive than cocaine! :p
  • JMaszkJMaszk Senior Member Posts: 1,297Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    And that seagull and whales are in is just great

What about sharks and kraken? Gotta have them....
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum";)

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori

• Shinobi.ieShinobi.ie Senior Member Posts: 169Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    This is starting to sound like: Pirates of the Carrib- Shogun total war?
    [PORTABLE-ID]shinobiie[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the info CA :D. A video would be nice now :). I'd love to see one of those whales...
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
  • MikuferMikufer Senior Member Posts: 568Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Hoping for a vid on the other hand the Q&A didnt telly anything extremely important and new but i like having details too.
  • Col PouttingCol Poutting Senior Member Posts: 350Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    sound crackalakin Great !!!
  • OSHarlequinOSHarlequin Member Posts: 86Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Sounds great. Really glad to hear about the naval weather/time conditions. Also european style ships!
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Sounds great. Really glad to hear about the naval weather/time conditions. Also european style ships!

Yeah, its gonna be a hard decision whether to accept European gunpowder or not... Maybe as mercenary units? Though they probably make more sense (and probably historical) to only be available if you make the treaty with Europeans allowing for gunpowder and they'll probably be extremely expensive... It'll be very exciting trying to capture one of this if you are not able to build them :D.
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
This discussion has been closed.