Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

So I built my first rig, Rome II being the motivation.

Zork90Zork90 Senior MemberKingdom of SwedenPosts: 1,438Registered Users
edited May 2013 in Technology
So I thought I'd share my first own built rig with you guys. So after months of planning and getting components, yesterday was The day. I knew I was going to do this last summer when I read that Rome II was announced. It is THE game for me and it has to run perfectly!

The trickiest part for me was the CPU aftermarket cooler and the cable management. Also I was dead nervous to do something wrong with the CPU installation, as I've only installed AMD chips before on motherboards.

Obviously I did some documentation for the build haha, so here are some pictures.

10i6m9l.jpg

==========================================
Specs:

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Orange (I love Orange and it just looks awesome with Black).
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB 1600MHz (Yes, they're Orange and they're awesome. Went with 2x 8GB kits, so that is 4 sticks. Works fine)
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Video card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW Edition
Power Supply: Corsair GS800 (went with 800W as I will do SLI and get another 670 by the time Rome II arrives)
SSD: Intel 330 Series 180GB
HDD: Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB

Case Fans:
2x 200mm Orange LED fans on the top. One exhaust(rear) and the other one intake.
1x 120mm in the rear, exhaust.
1x 140mm front Orange LED, intake.
2x 120mm intake fans on the side of the case.

==========================================

As I said, getting on the cooler is always the trickier part. I figured it out, wasnt that much of a problem, but really was the phase where I was afraid to do something wrong (which I did hehe, but fortunately the Motherboard was all fine).

azhyd2.jpg

Had a good free area to work around.

rkvdvo.jpg

So I tried to do the cable management as well as I could, but unfortunately I couldnt get the CPU 8 pin connectore all the way through on the backside. You can see that little hole in the top left at the motherboard tray, I didnt want to push the connector through as it could damage the cables there or the motherboard if I had put in more force. So decided to do it this way :p

2cdc26x.jpg

An overview of the rig. The PSU is actually lighting up with white LEDs, looks blue on the pic but its white. You can switch the LED color for it, it has Red, Blue and White. You can also turn it off if you want to.

20gju8.jpg

I've got a 140mm orange LED fan on the front aswell. So I got the nice "fire inside the case" look that I had planned.

2qxrj3k.jpg

I wish I had a pic of the back of the case with the cable management, but didnt get one as I was all about gettin it to work out well. And im too lazy to take one no haha. Not as if I posted too few pics anyway :P

It was great fun to plan out components, collect them and assemble them. Looking at it now, it was well worth it.
I can't wait to try out Rome II with this hehe, and I just installed Shogun 2.

Tell me what you guys think or if you got any questions.

Interesting note:
With this particular motherboard, you apparantly can't boot without a keyboard plugged in. Luckily it has a nice debugging system so I figured it out pretty fast.
The North Remembers
You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
Post edited by Zork90 on

Comments

• Hokaido_SamuraiHokaido_Samurai Member Posts: 82Registered Users
    edited January 2013
    That is one sweet build!
  • AndaAnda Senior Member Posts: 209Registered Users
    edited January 2013
    Awesome! first picture gives me a fuzzy, christmasy feeling :-)
    With this particular motherboard, you apparantly can't boot without a keyboard plugged in. Luckily it has a nice debugging system so I figured it out pretty fast.

Just a silly thing that occured to me lately: When booting a new system for the first time, could I use my wireless keyboard? I mean, will a wireless keyboard work with just the BIOS?

Also: Do you absolutely need a 3rd party cpu cooler, if you're not planning on overclocking? Is it worth the extra money just from a lifespan or noise level perspective?
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Kingdom of SwedenPosts: 1,438Registered Users
    edited January 2013
    Anda wrote: »
    Awesome! first picture gives me a fuzzy, christmasy feeling :-)

Just a silly thing that occured to me lately: When booting a new system for the first time, could I use my wireless keyboard? I mean, will a wireless keyboard work with just the BIOS?

Also: Do you absolutely need a 3rd party cpu cooler, if you're not planning on overclocking? Is it worth the extra money just from a lifespan or noise level perspective?

Hahah yeah, it sure was a kind of a christmasy feeling. I was really excited and had been looking forward to that day. And opening all the packages and everything, yep... the similarities are there haha.

I suppose it depends alot with what kind of motherboard you have. But from what I know, in most cases you will need a wired keyboard for the first boot. And if you're going to use USB keyboard/mouse, make sure you use the USB 2.0 ports and not the USB 3.0, as the later one needs drivers to work.

About the cooler. No you don't need an aftermarket cooler if you do not plan to overclock, the stock one should do the job.
    I've personally heard that I should "throw it in the bin the moment you open the package" lol. Im not sure about the noise of the stock fan, I can't imagine its that much different from the one I have. Im not gonna overclock just yet, but I plan to do so sooner or later. And frankly, I think the stock cooler looks poor, the CM Hyper 212 Evo is pretty cheap and it cools really well, so I figured its worth it.
    The North Remembers

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2013
    First, please let me thank you over and over again for the pictures of the build.
    We don't get enough of these, and they are fun for everyone to see. I know its a lot of work to document when you do these things, but they live and breathe as models and goals for all of us who get 'sweaty palms' when they see pictures of PC hardware on the build!

Second, I use orange flourescent highlighted ram sometimes found on certain Asus boards and also like the effect, although perhaps not as much as YOU do (lol). I also have used that particular Case a few times and will make some comments on it below. I have never used that particular color version, but I have used red, white, and black. I actually have a white one to my left in this room that we used for a build a year or two ago. I will append a picture if it is useful to anyone.

Case:
    I love this case for its space, and cable management. We have often commented to one another that we could almost climb IN there its so friggin' huge. I do recommend this case, but I do usually warn people about two things...

The NZXT Phantom is a plastic-metal composite.
    As such, because these materials heat up and cool at differing speeds, there can be some 'ticking' when this is going on and over time this can also lead to some rattles that might need attention. I haven't found rattles on all of them, at least not yet. If things like the 'ticking' sound don't bother you, or you use a headset, you won't probably hear it, and this can also be true if you use predominantly air-cooling with lots of fans. Fan noise will probably cover all or most of this noise. We usually use liquid cooling so a lot less fans and almost no noise at all (such that usually we even find the harddrive noise irritatingly loud 0-o).

NZXT fans on this case are... sub-standard CFMs.
    While you can get some reasonably good fans from NZXT, the ones they put on this case are not among them. IN fact, they are about the worst I have ever seen from them in terms of cubic feet moved, and efficiency db/cfm. If it weren't also for the fact that some of them require modding to be replaced (because some of the sizes/screw placements are proprietary) I wouldn't care since I usually don't buy or recommend a case because of its fans and PLAN on possibly replacing them. The oddball stuff however seems simply caclulated to PO the builder who plans on that replacement, and certainly makes it a consideration if you are going to use predominantly air to maintain reasonable temperature. Once again, for most of our cases, we use liquid even when intended for another end user, so case fans are of minimal importance.

The PSU
    Beasty! I really like Corsairs in general (5 yr war. that you'll probably never need) and think its a nice feature that you can just pop out that panel so you can change the rings, although not because of the rings. I ilke being able to get into the PSu to clean it out and look at the subcomponents . I have a question though.

Given that the case is made with perforations on the bottom so the intake of the PSU doesn't have to come from the pre-heated air from the case, and you appear to have loads of other fans to create a net negative airpressure in the case, why do you have the intake of the PSu pointing upward an into the case in the pic?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited January 2013
    Congrats on having the guts to attempt to build a PC from scratch, If they sold PC cases with Motherboards and Processors already inside them then I'd be fairly confident to do the rest but I don't feel confident enough to do the first couple of steps.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2013
    Its lego with wires shire. If you would get online with Skype I would vid-conference you through it. Swear on it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited January 2013
    I'm seriously considering following in Zorks footsteps and building my own machine for the first time sometime this year, before Rome II comes out. I guess I might be a little more budget oriented though, as I want to stay within a 1.400 USD range wich is quite a lot more than i've ever spent on a pc before.

I'm currently looking at these two B.I.Y combo-packages, and it would be really cool if you guys could give me your opions.

Build 1:

- Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl (realy liking the minimalistic look of this)
    - Silver Power SP-S650 650W PSU
    - Intel® Core i5-3570K Processor
    - MSI Z77A-GD55, Socket-1155
    - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
    - XFX Radeon HD7950 3GB 2xFAN PCI-E
    - Samsung SSD 840 Series 120GB
    - Antistatic Armchain 1.8 meter
    - OEM DVD-RW

Price: 1.340 USD/835 GBP

Build 2:

- CM Storm Trooper Gaming Big Tower
    - Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU
    - Intel® LGA1155 Core i7-3770
    - MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
    - Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz 16GB KIT
    - MSI GeForce GTX660 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E
    - Crucial m4 SSD 2.5" 128GB
    - OEM DVD-RW

Price: 1.260 USD/801 GBP

So far I'm leaning towards build 1 with the HD7950 3Gb, but I'm wondering if build 2's i7-3770 makes it a better buy at the slightly lower price?
  • NisemonoNisemono Senior Member Posts: 928Registered Users
    edited January 2013
    Build 1:
    Faster (newer) SSD
    Better GPU
    Overclockable CPU (and mobo supports overclocking)
    PSU with higher power rating

Build 2:
    Slightly faster CPU
    edited January 2013
    First, please let me thank you over and over again for the pictures of the build.
    We don't get enough of these, and they are fun for everyone to see. I know its a lot of work to document when you do these things, but they live and breathe as models and goals for all of us who get 'sweaty palms' when they see pictures of PC hardware on the build!

You're very welcome, it was my pleasure! I was worried that I might've put up too many pictures in the thread hehe, but in fact there are too few!

Yeah, it was quite difficult to document it, I mean I was all into doing everything correctly... just that I now and then remembered, "maybe I should take a pic of this as memory" lol :)
    Second, I use orange flourescent highlighted ram sometimes found on certain Asus boards and also like the effect, although perhaps not as much as YOU do (lol).

Oh, sweet! Would love to see some of your builds! If you can, I encourage you do show me some more Orange hardware :P
    Case:
    I love this case for its space, and cable management. We have often commented to one another that we could almost climb IN there its so friggin' huge. I do recommend this case, but I do usually warn people about two things...

The NZXT Phantom is a plastic-metal composite. .....

NZXT fans on this case are... sub-standard CFMs. .....

Yeah, its a hybrid of plastic and metal. But the plastic front and top is cleanly and wonderfully made! Thats jsut my opinion though, some people don't like it at all. Iam yet to hear any of that ticking sound... could be that Im keeping the case quite cool?
    Almost time to put some of the stuff from the refrigerator down in the case instead. There would surely be room for it, lol! It really is a big case :p
    The PSU
    Beasty! I really like Corsairs in general (5 yr war. that you'll probably never need) and think its a nice feature that you can just pop out that panel so you can change the rings, although not because of the rings. I ilke being able to get into the PSu to clean it out and look at the subcomponents . I have a question though.

Given that the case is made with perforations on the bottom so the intake of the PSU doesn't have to come from the pre-heated air from the case, and you appear to have loads of other fans to create a net negative airpressure in the case, why do you have the intake of the PSu pointing upward an into the case in the pic?

Yeah, I decided quite early on that I was going to use a Corsair PSU. Hardwaremaster recommended the GS series so I looked into it, and as I actually got a good price deal out of this, it was a clear buy!

I was thinking about that quite alot, it sure does make more sense to take fresh air from the bottom rather than taking air from the case. But from the researches that I made, there was some study where someone had tested alot of different PSUs with the fans top and down, and in the end, the PSU was not negatively affected by either, so I got the understanding that it actually does not matter at all! Fan facing top or down, it has no vital affect on the PSU, even if it really does make sense that clear fresh air intake from the bottom is the "better" choice. There were also some other reasons that made me decide to go for this:

- The NZXT manual showed the PSU installation with the fan facing top.
    - My EVGA Graphics card is covered with plastic all over, so it doesnt spread around heat in the case as much as other graphics card would.
    - The PSU has LED fans... not at all the reason I got this PSU (it doesnt even have orange LED lol, :/ ) , but it still has LED lighting, and that would be pointless to face it downwards.

If you're convinced I've done wrong, I'd love to hear why I should change it. I like to hear different opinions, and you're clearly very experienced.

Congrats on having the guts to attempt to build a PC from scratch, If they sold PC cases with Motherboards and Processors already inside them then I'd be fairly confident to do the rest but I don't feel confident enough to do the first couple of steps.

Thanks mate.

I gotta agree with Al with this, it really is lego with wires! I mean, all you rly do is putting pieces together and connecting them to a power supply hehe. Rome demands you to take courage and do this! :P
    I'd love to build it for you, or help you build yours! Its so much more rewarding than buying a finished one from the store.

Wow, what a long post. I blame Al. :)
    The North Remembers

edited January 2013

Newegg and NCIX have some pretty detailed youtube videos on how to construct a system from scratch, wich makes me confident that it's not really that hard.

Also, I'm gonna pretend that I'm Tony Stark when I mount the CPU...
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USPosts: 2,893Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited February 2013
    I actually wish there were more threads like this. I love seeing how excited people get with their new builds!
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
    edited February 2013
    Its awesome to see so many posters enjoying it, and looking to do it for themselves... Time for some leadership Shire!

(Oh, don't worry, I badger him all the time about all sorts of things, of course he isn't going to escape on this front either - just think about how much money he would save!)

Good work Zork, I will keep reminding him that its your fault too. :)

edited February 2013
    Its awesome to see so many posters enjoying it, and looking to do it for themselves... Time for some leadership Shire!

(Oh, don't worry, I badger him all the time about all sorts of things, of course he isn't going to escape on this front either - just think about how much money he would save!)

Good work Zork, I will keep reminding him that its your fault too. :)

Agreed, I'd love to see other peoples builds here.

Yeah, you save tons of money compared to what you'd have to pay for a brand computer, in regards to what performance you actually get. + You can customize it all the way you like, take my example: Orange :P
    Thanks! I'd be glad to cause him the "trouble" haha.

PS. Had alot to do but I'll share some pics of my friends build when I can. He got inspired by seeing what I had planned for my system, so ours look a little bit similar as he went for the NZXT phantom aswell. He's not as passionate about joyful colours such as orange though, he went for the fully black one. It looks awesome though with blue leds.

EDIT:

One day later---

So got another pic here haha. Remember I said I forgot to take a pic of the backside of the motherboard tray? Here you are:

This was my first try on a cable management in the case.

dyp3wm.jpg

Can't say im that happy with it, but at the same time its not that bad either imo haha :P

God I hate cables.
    The North Remembers

edited February 2013
    Hmmm
    Well, once I get them on the other side of the tray/wall, I am not too concerned with what they look like back there so long as they aern't in jeopardy of some kind... Lemme see if I can get a bckside pic of the white one - may take a day or two.
    ~Al

edited May 2013
    Hmmm
    Well, once I get them on the other side of the tray/wall, I am not too concerned with what they look like back there so long as they aern't in jeopardy of some kind... Lemme see if I can get a bckside pic of the white one - may take a day or two.
    ~Al

Yep, doesnt really matter if it looks nice as long as its tucked in well enough to not damage any cables or anything.

A day or two, or half a year. Lol :D

A friend of mine really liked my build, and after I convinced him to get acquainted with the Total War franchise... just to convince him to later this year get Rome 2 he was all set on getting a new computer. So what happened next was that I built him a rig, quite similar to mine.

Here are some pics:

His Asus GTX660
    2lwkn7q.jpg

The Asus Board(P8Z77-V LK):
    1r96ix.jpg

The black phantom case with blue led fans:
    52hn5d.jpg

Was great fun to build another rig just some weeks after I built my first. Im pretty eager to assemble my next already haha, got another friend that needs help this summer.
    The North Remembers

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Ouch, that's a whole bunch of cables.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • DEADLY9996DEADLY9996 Senior Member Posts: 1,600Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Mine looks like spaghetti junction :D

Nice work!
    Say what?
    edited May 2013
    Ouch, that's a whole bunch of cables.

Are you implying that there is a rig that has a PSU with wireless cabling? :p

God I hate cables.
    DEADLY9996 wrote:
    Mine looks like spaghetti junction

Nice work!

Hehe! Thanks mate.
    The North Remembers

• jimglotjimglot Senior Member Posts: 1,023Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Awesome rig. May it last you many good gaming years!
    There are only two types of ships. Submarines and Targets!

"Even the bloody queen don't rate cocoa!"
    Exclaimed by a young British submariner riding Crevalle (SS 291) when offered a cup of cocoa by the crew