Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 Coverage of Rome II (Gamespot) -comments thread

Comments

• Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,874Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    As Zork90 linked before:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/livecam-tour-day-2/

Go to 7:01:40

EDIT: Ah, 7:04:00'ish as mentioned above!
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • DJ18DJ18 Senior Member Posts: 551Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    really wished you havent showed me that. one of the biggest problems i have had with the TW series is the overflow of bugs. CA really needs to realize that a game of this magnitude take a loooong time to bugfix. it not like a generic scripted shooter where there's a limit to how much that can go wrong.

Well I am sorry. However, All games have bugs in them at start. I am sure CA will work hard to get all the bugs they can before launch. I'm not worried.
    System Specs
    RAM: Crucial 12GB Tri Channel DDR3
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 770 GTX Classified
    CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.20GHz
    Hard Drive: Samsung 240GB SSD

"Oh yes! The terror of seeing and hearing my mighty war elephants approach will cause everyone on the opposing force to automatically empty their bladders simultaneously on the field of battle."
  • TilenTilen Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Really? I'm the only one bothered by the capture points?
  • Burny2110Burny2110 Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    @Tilen....well...it has been said long time ago that there will be capturepoints like the cabagetrain and so on in fieldbattles
    edited June 2013
    Tilen wrote: »

It was a historical battle being played there. So it sounds like there would be capture points. We know that sieges have capture points. This could be a start of a seige. Total War: Shogun 2 has capture points and you can removes those.
    System Specs

"Oh yes! The terror of seeing and hearing my mighty war elephants approach will cause everyone on the opposing force to automatically empty their bladders simultaneously on the field of battle."
  • amenallah1992amenallah1992 Senior Member Posts: 584Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    i'm just gonna find my self a little corner , and weep for like 5 mins lol :(
    i 've only liked the campagin map ( and still there"s some odd stuff ) and the naval battles look interesting
    but i just can't stand the exagerated chariots charge , the artillery , and that ............ capture point flag in the middle of the battlefield
    plz just don't tell me we can't win or loose a battle even though we have terrific superiority because of a flag , just like the troops back then said , ahaaaaaaah they captured the flag , go home all , retreat ! they got the bloody flag!
    TIME , the devourer of everything .
  • SormaranSormaran Junior Member Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Nope. That looks so wierd, but may be okay if not do some critical effect in the fight.
  • Mr.MonkeyManMr.MonkeyMan Senior Member Posts: 114Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Sigh, I missed it, and now E3 won't let me go back and watch it. It keeps popping up with an ad then showing what they are showing now.
    It's only monkey business :D

I used to be a Legionnaire like you, until I took a spear to the face. :(
  • CicimuholovacCicimuholovac Senior Member Posts: 487Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    So many things i found disliking I wouldn't know where to start.. Balistas are oversized... Artilery is used against infantry (at this time? wtf CA, it wasn't used against infantry till Napoleonic wars!)... Legionares kill elephants with swords.. Raming ships is far from being a tiny bit realistic (goal of ramming is to punch a hole in the enemy ships side that will fill with water, not to break the ship into half).. Ships are too manuverable.. Chariots send men flying??WTF?? Capture the flag???

I could go on, but I think it's better to stop right now.

Rome 1 was a great game, a bit arcadis but at that time one could not expect or hope for better. Nowdays when technology has cought up we get Rome 2 that is even more arcadish than its predecesor..
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Ace Blazer wrote: »
    As Zork90 linked before:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/livecam-tour-day-2/

Go to 7:01:40

EDIT: Ah, 7:04:00'ish as mentioned above!

Yeah, you know I've been tweeting and messaging them to go to CA's booth all day!!! And finally he did. Thing is, he takes the requests on his phone, and his phone died earlier so unfortunately he didnt see most of what I wrote until we were able to message another person from GameSpot.

Got a shoutout aswell haha.
    Attero wrote: »
    How do you know

Because Jamie Ferguson at CA said so in that interview that I asked Colin@GameSpot to do.
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • b3an15HLyb3an15HLy Member Posts: 42Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    I missed it as well, is there no way of watching it again? Can someone at least describe it to me? *legolas vocie*
    edited June 2013
    i'm just gonna find my self a little corner , and weep for like 5 mins lol :(
    i 've only liked the campagin map ( and still there"s some odd stuff ) and the naval battles look interesting
    but i just can't stand the exagerated chariots charge , the artillery , and that ............ capture point flag in the middle of the battlefield
    plz just don't tell me we can't win or loose a battle even though we have terrific superiority because of a flag , just like the troops back then said , ahaaaaaaah they captured the flag , go home all , retreat ! they got the bloody flag!

We know there are capture points in Rome II. I think these could be those or they could possibly be bonuses like in Total War: Shogun 2.
    System Specs

• ArtyyArtyy Banned Posts: 186Banned Users
    edited June 2013

No you are not the only one. This will be a big issue for a lot of people. Waypoints make absolutely no sense in a game like this
  • OsrosOsros Senior Member Posts: 1,057Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Burny2110 wrote: »
    I dont have a problem with guys getting knocked or flying when a charriot crashes into them....but I have a problem with guys flying up into space when getting hit by a charriot....i mean...the direction of force should be considered

and about the arty....in those ancient times where no high explosives! they threw stones...big stones but still stones!
    do you guys know what a flying stone does when it hits the ground? ... Well...it hits the gound and thats it...there is no explosion...if you dont get hit by it directly you dont have a problem (except the ground is pretty hard and the stone splitters...still unlikly to do much damage)

The arty look like flamming pots, the pots full of flammable liquid. 3 Huge pots hit that one unit not sure if accruate but that what they looked like so I can understand them exploding on impact but not sure how I feel about the results either. If i look at it right though on the next part looks like most of that unit recovered to get back in formation.
    It is a lovely thing to live with great courage and to die leaving an everlasting fame,
    Macedonians!... Why do you retreat?!... Do you want to live forever?!
    In the name of Zeus!... ATTACK!

Rig: i7 3770k OC @ 4.5G, GTX780TI 3Gig, 16 Gig Ram, 120SSD, 1TB HD
    Rome 2: Nvidia Experience Optimization used. All settings VHigh to Ultra with Unit Size: Ultra
    Rome 2: In Game Benchmark @ FPS: Low 52, Average 76.6, High 129
  • snakenakskovsnakenakskov Senior Member Posts: 153Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Zork90 wrote: »
    Because Jamie Ferguson at CA said so in that interview that I asked Colin@GameSpot to do.

thx for doing that btw was a waaaaay better interview.
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    thx for doing that btw was a waaaaay better interview.

Np. Lol you can hear the "shoutout" at 5:40:35

It took a day but it was worth it haha. I love their Livecam, pretty fun to see.
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • squidmansquidman Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys! I was the guy doing the interview on GameSpot :) Sorry a few of you weren't too impressed. I thought I'd just pop over here and chime in. I do consider myself a fan of the series (I own all of them, although I didn't play Shogun 2 as much as I would have liked), but with the limited time we had (just under 15 minutes) I thought it would be better to get a more general look at the footage SEGA and CA provided us. I didn't think filling up a quarter of the interview talking about my specs was going to be productive, etc etc.

You guys here will totally know the ins-and-outs of the game better than me, for sure. Still, I do think adding capture points is an attempt to gamify it a little bit, and I don't quite know what to think of that, but it's certainly a game I'm eagerly anticipating come September. When I ask about accessibility, well, I've had a couple of close friends turned off from the series because they see it as too complex. It's not about pandering to a CoDified crowd here, mind, just that I think you guys (who are likely totally into every facet of it and are total pros) can forget just how daunting a Total War game can look to new players!

And, yeah, I was also hoping to see a bit more of the elephants. What can I say!

As for not looking like I was engaged with the game, well, there's no excuse for that--maybe I'm just too knackered from spending a few too many late nights trying to keep up with all our E3 work!

We're hoping that CA provides us with a playable preview build of the game soon, where we'll have a far greater opportunity to drill down into the features and feel of the game and hopefully give the kind of answers that I think a lot of you are hoping for! I'll keep an eye out on these forums, too, so when we do get an opportnity to go hands-on with the game (I'm told it will be soon) we'll be able to get those answers you guys are after :)
  • ArtyyArtyy Banned Posts: 186Banned Users
    edited June 2013
    I think the biggest issue with people saying - and also myself - why they didn't like it is because when the impact happened, they flow straight in to the air, like a rocket. I'd imagine getting hit by something like that and flying straight back but instead it looked like an elephant picked them up and tossed them straight upwards
  • amenallah1992amenallah1992 Senior Member Posts: 584Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    squidman wrote: »
    Hey guys! I was the guy doing the interview on GameSpot :) Sorry a few of you weren't too impressed. I thought I'd just pop over here and chime in. I do consider myself a fan of the series (I own all of them, although I didn't play Shogun 2 as much as I would have liked), but with the limited time we had (just under 15 minutes) I thought it would be better to get a more general look at the footage SEGA and CA provided us. I didn't think filling up a quarter of the interview talking about my specs was going to be productive, etc etc.

You guys here will totally know the ins-and-outs of the game better than me, for sure. Still, I do think adding capture points is an attempt to gamify it a little bit, and I don't quite know what to think of that, but it's certainly a game I'm eagerly anticipating come September. When I ask about accessibility, well, I've had a couple of close friends turned off from the series because they see it as too complex. It's not about pandering to a CoDified crowd here, mind, just that I think you guys (who are likely totally into every facet of it and are total pros) can forget just how daunting a Total War game can look to new players!

And, yeah, I was also hoping to see a bit more of a the elephants. What can I say!

As for not looking like I was engaged with the game, well, there's no excuse for that--maybe I'm just too knackered from spending a few too many late nights trying to keep up with all our E3 work!

We're hoping that CA provides us with a playable preview build of the game soon, where we'll have a far greater opportunity to drill down into the features and feel of the game and hopefully give the kind of answers that I think a lot of you are hoping for! I'll keep an eye out on these forums, too, so when we do get an opportnity to go hands-on with the game (I'm told it will be soon) we'll be able to get those answers you guys are after :)

if you were a fan , you wouldn't have asked 80 % of the questions you asked
    TIME , the devourer of everything .
    edited June 2013
    Artyy wrote: »
    No you are not the only one. This will be a big issue for a lot of people. Waypoints make absolutely no sense in a game like this

I dont understand we always had them. This battle looks like an attack on their encampment so think of it as a siege battle. I dont think it will be every random field battle.

EDIT: yeah I played it again he does say battles have capture points now, not sure how I feel about it.
    It is a lovely thing to live with great courage and to die leaving an everlasting fame,

Rome 2: Nvidia Experience Optimization used. All settings VHigh to Ultra with Unit Size: Ultra
  • Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,874Registered Users
    edited June 2013

And, yeah, I was also hoping to see a bit more of the elephants. What can I say!

Welcome to our forum. I'm sure you had a very busy and gruelling day, and sometimes we fans (fanatics) expect too much. We know you had to keep it general for people that were new to the series, as this is the first real look into the game at E3 after all. Looking forward to more coverage!
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
    edited June 2013
    if you were a fan , you wouldn't have asked 80 % of the questions you asked

AHAHAHAHAHA so funny!!!! :D
    edited June 2013
    So many things i found disliking I wouldn't know where to start.. Balistas are oversized... Artilery is used against infantry (at this time? wtf CA, it wasn't used against infantry till Napoleonic wars!)... Legionares kill elephants with swords.. Raming ships is far from being a tiny bit realistic (goal of ramming is to punch a hole in the enemy ships side that will fill with water, not to break the ship into half).. Ships are too manuverable.. Chariots send men flying??WTF?? Capture the flag???

I could go on, but I think it's better to stop right now.

Rome 1 was a great game, a bit arcadis but at that time one could not expect or hope for better. Nowdays when technology has cought up we get Rome 2 that is even more arcadish than its predecesor..

Did they have gian ballistas back then? They might have. Why not use artillery against infantry?

Dude! Elephants are blood and skin creatures. Yes, you CAN kill and elephants with swords. Though TBH, I do not know why you would. I would rather use a spear or arrows. But if your only armed with a sword and a elephants it coming at you.....

Ships ramming ships. I am sure ships broke in half. I am also sure ships just got holes in them and sunk.

Though the charitos ramming into people looked a bit dramatic but hopefully they will fix this.

Remember the footage we saw was ALPHA footage. I am sure they are going to be adding and removing a bunch of things before the game is released.
    System Specs

• Burny2110Burny2110 Member Posts: 31Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    The arty look like flamming pots. the pots full of flammable liquid. 3 Huge pots hit that one unit not sure if accruate but that what they looked like so I can understand them exploding on impact but not sure how I feel about the results either. If i look at it right though on the next part looks like most of that unit recovered to get back in formation.

even if it was flammable liquid it wouldnt explode like a hellfire rocket...just doesnt happen
    look at molotov ****tails...better and faster flameables than what they might have had back there...there is no big explosions...it's just fire that spreads out. it wont let men fly around like that.
    and i watched it again...and in my opinion only one of the pots hit the cohort
    edited June 2013

Is there a way we can have a HD video file of that interview, the streaming lack HD detail alittle fuzzy 720p 1080p available?

edited June 2013
    Burny2110 wrote: »
    even if it was flammable liquid it wouldnt explode like a hellfire rocket...just doesnt happen
    look at molotov ****tails...better and faster flameables than what they might have had back there...there is no big explosions...it's just fire that spreads out. it wont let men fly around like that.
    and i watched it again...and in my opinion only one of the pots hit the cohort

I agree brother not a fan of the effect, but they where not boulders. Anyway if they where most likely mess that up also :P

• squidmansquidman Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    I don't think we'll be able to get 1080p I'm afraid, but a video-on-demand version will be going up over the next day or so.
  • ClaymanVTWClaymanVTW Senior Member Posts: 1,117Registered Users
    edited June 2013

'

You seem legitimate (not a troll)... So thank you very much for your reply an explanation! To joun a forum to clarify things while at E3 is a very respectable thing imo. On behalf of myself and some others i think i can say with honesty that we're sorry to have spoken so aggressively of you... We're fan boys, what can I say? ;P
    "Carthago delenda est"
    -Cato the Elder

-September 3, 2013: Rome II comes out AND I start my first day of college at Kalamazoo Valley Community College!

-October 12, 2013: I turn 18 and set off to a casino for the first time... B) $$$
  • ahawkTWahawkTW Senior Member Posts: 704Registered Users
    edited June 2013

I was pretty cynical about you, but thanks for posting to clear up some of you're questions, I really do think taking extra time to post a comment here shows something.
    =[EqE]= ahawk
    edited June 2013
    DJ18 wrote: »
    Remember the footage we saw was ALPHA footage. I am sure they are going to be adding and removing a bunch of things before the game is released.

Alpha or no alpha, I've seen were the series is going, and I don't like it. COD: Rome II.

Instead of making battles more realistic they made them more arcadish. Asterix, Obelix and the magic potion is all that is missing out now in Rome, hope they put it in by September 3rd.