Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Building a computer for STW

HHHJJJHHHJJJ Junior MemberPosts: 5Registered Users
edited December 2010 in Technology
Hi everyone! I just want to get some opinions on this rig I'm building for S2:TW and many other games in the present and future (mainly things like portal 2, HL2:E3, Fallout, Crysis, Black Ops etc):-

System Specification
- Case: Xigmatek Midgard Midi Tower - Black
- Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W
- CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.93GHz overclocked to 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-USB3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
- Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler
- RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
- Graphics Card: MSI Cyclone GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5
- Sound: Realtek 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)

The Overclocking is safe and will be maintained at that 4GHz Level. I've not played Empire or Napoleon TW so I can't really say how well this rig would perform against it. The RAM amount looks a bit low, but it isn't a cheap brand of RAM so I hope that will hold.

Thoughts? Looking to play S2:TW at High/Ultra!
Post edited by HHHJJJ on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Monitor resolution? Intending to SLI or X-fire? Up PSU for that.

Wait for Sandy Bridge?
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Wait for Sandy Bridge?

DOH!!!! Just joking Maeda!

Seriously, Maeda is right if you don't REALLY need an upgrade right now, or for the next year, since current CPU techs are near eol, although if you always wait for the new tech, you'll alwways be waiting, always a Bridesmaid, never a Bride (where did THAT come from? Heh!). Anyway, we go back and forth on this subject.

The other questions are without debate sort of crucial to the question at hand, and the PSU you are looking at is fine for a single card but is a bit low both on wattage and especially the 12+v rail for dual cards. If you are in the 1680x1050 range of resolution or less, you should be able to press beyond the upper limits of existing titles like ETW and NTW with that card and CPU, but I would definitely look at more ram if you can.

We don't really know what the "upper limits" of S2 are like- and recent tech reveals (see the sticky thread Iscaran put up) make it less certain what levels will press more than current titles do because of greater optimization of multi cores and other technological advances. I would expect the system you are representing here would be good to very good for a number of years from the present. It is not leading edge right now, and will be a genration old in about a year. That said, and by way of comparison, I still run a number of Athlon X2s (albeit fast ones at 3.2) for my sons, and their results remain very good with all modern games including ETW, NTW, Blops, FalloutNV and the like. One of these systems still has an 8800GTS Extreme Edition in it and still amazes me with how great it looks and how smoothly it operates.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • HHHJJJHHHJJJ Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I was reading about the new processor chips coming in January, so I will wait for them. Seeing as S2:TW is out in March, there will be plenty of Motherboard reviews done by February so I could easily get the best one with decent overclocking ability.

In terms of dual cards, no I won't be doing that. I think it's a bit excessive!

for the monitor, are LED LCD screens any good? I've got my eye on this one:-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/22-lg-lge2240s-pn-full-hd-led-widescreen-monitor-vga-1920x1080-5ms-250cd-m-10001-pc-mac

Thoughts?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    This is not my area of specialty, but as I understand it, unless you're a photo or artist type, the principal difference is the LED uses less energy (well and generates less heat as wasted energy as well). What I have heard leads me to believe the energy savings may only make sense if you never turn it off or are running hundreds of these (e.g. business applications).

Response time
    Aside from this, looking at it from a straight comparison with other monitors, it is a 5ms which is good, but not the best for particualrly motion-demanding titles such as FPSs and movies. If you're only ever going to be playing S2, it might not be much of a problem. If not, a 2ms is preferable.

Contrast and brightness
    Again, not that bad, but there are far better contrasts available in the LED area, and better brightness than 250 cd/m as well. This may bother you more in movie watching and some FPS titles particualrly where there are lots of dark areas, where many shades of gray or "black" are needed, although from time to time I have seen areas where this would effect cut scenes and night battles in a title like S2.

Revisiting the CPU issue, keep in mind that the new items will be at their most expensive and unreasonable pricing after January, whereas the i-series may be extremely reasonable, and still near the leading edge of performance based on the lag time for developers to apply new tech to applications.

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    There are supposed to be 2 types of led displays. The first is a simply an LCD display with its back florescence lighting replaced by led(s). The other is type is a true LED display.

With regards to waiting for Sandy Bridge, it doesn't mean that you should buy it, unless you are an early adopter with plenty of cash to spare. The release of Sandy Bridge will most likely result in price drop for the current Nahelem based chips, making them attractive.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • TotalwarloverTotalwarlover Member Posts: 95Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    maybe intel core i7 would be better
    [PORTABLE-ID]totalwarlover[/PORTABLE-ID]
    "I know only one thing, that I know nothing" Socrates
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    maybe intel core i7 would be better

Yes and No. Although the i7 is faster the difference in price ( EUR 55,- / $70,- ) does not justify the very small performance difference. Just look at this review (i5 760 2.8Ghz vs. i7 860 2.8GHz).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-760_4.html#sect1

If you would want to spend a few extra benjamins it would be wiser to use them for a faster graphics card. A GTX 460 1GB might not be sufficient to play all games on 1920 x 1080 with high settings.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS