Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How will this rig run NTW and future games like S2TW on high settings?

CoolPotatoCoolPotato Junior MemberPosts: 7Registered Users
edited December 2010 in Technology
AMD Phenom II X4 965
768mb GTX460
4GB CORSAIR memory DDR3
AM3ASUS M4N68T - DDR3 1600X4
CORSAIR CMPSU 650TX PSU

How will it do?
Post edited by CoolPotato on

Comments

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    It depends a bit on your screen resolution. But when its not higher then 1680 x 1050 the games should run fine. If its 1920 x 1080 or higher you probably need to lower some settings because ETW, NTW & TWS2 will probably use more then 768MB of VRAM on those HD+ resolutions.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Get the 1GB 460GTX.

ETW uses easily up to 870MB VRAM on nVidia cards. NTW even more. STW2 even more than that.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Two comments
    1)
    I agree with lordmaximus and Iscaran
    I use a 1gb card (285gtx) on NTW at 1920x1200, and I would probably not go any lower than that. Although I use a modded unit multiplyer and easily have 10k troops or more on screen in most battles, I would assume you will want at least that capability given what we have heard about the scalability of S2. Nota Bene: here follows the requisite statement that we don't really know what the exact spcifications are for S2, only what has been leaked or generally implied by hints from the developer: If you can play NTW, you can play Shogun2, but it scales up, but it is more optimized (whatever all that means). MMurray likes to use the rule of thumb that each subsequent game requires a slightly greater video card to play at max or alternatively, if you played NTW at Ultra, you can play S2 at High, and whatever comes after that at Medium, and so forth. Not absolutely certain if that can be applied here, but it IS a nice rule of thumb! :p

2)
    Er, is your ram READING as 1600, or did you overclock it to get that reading with that cpu? If this is not a system currently in your hands, you should be aware that what the listed capabilities of the ram are may not be what the board will actually volt or time for in default settings. That is an AM3 socket CPU and we have just been around the bend talking about what the offical supported AMD lmits are for that socket (1333). It is not a reason for panic, but there is a minor benchmark hit in performance for the lower data rate, and I have written elsewhere that in practical gaming application I haven't been able to notice any difference in performance between these two speeds. I just didn't want to not mention it so you freak out! Best bet is the mobo (motherboard) will read 1333 as default, although Asus has a reputation for often pushing the limits of what the CPU mfger will allow (I have a few of their boards :p). Also while we're talking about ram, be aware that if you don't have a 64 bit OS, you will be limiting your actual available ram to 3.something gigs, and with the four rigs we run for actual heavy gaming with Vista, we don't run with less than 6 gigs on XMS (high performance) profiles unless we are testing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • CoolPotatoCoolPotato Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Two comments
    1)
    I agree with lordmaximus and Iscaran
    I use a 1gb card (285gtx) on NTW at 1920x1200, and I would probably not go any lower than that. Although I use a modded unit multiplyer and easily have 10k troops or more on screen in most battles, I would assume you will want at least that capability given what we have heard about the scalability of S2. Nota Bene: here follows the requisite statement that we don't really know what the exact spcifications are for S2, only what has been leaked or generally implied by hints from the developer: If you can play NTW, you can play Shogun2, but it scales up, but it is more optimized (whatever all that means). MMurray likes to use the rule of thumb that each subsequent game requires a slightly greater video card to play at max or alternatively, if you played NTW at Ultra, you can play S2 at High, and whatever comes after that at Medium, and so forth. Not absolutely certain if that can be applied here, but it IS a nice rule of thumb! :p

2)
    Er, is your ram READING as 1600, or did you overclock it to get that reading with that cpu? If this is not a system currently in your hands, you should be aware that what the listed capabilities of the ram are may not be what the board will actually volt or time for in default settings. That is an AM3 socket CPU and we have just been around the bend talking about what the offical supported AMD lmits are for that socket (1333). It is not a reason for panic, but there is a minor benchmark hit in performance for the lower data rate, and I have written elsewhere that in practical gaming application I haven't been able to notice any difference in performance between these two speeds. I just didn't want to not mention it so you freak out! Best bet is the mobo (motherboard) will read 1333 as default, although Asus has a reputation for often pushing the limits of what the CPU mfger will allow (I have a few of their boards :p). Also while we're talking about ram, be aware that if you don't have a 64 bit OS, you will be limiting your actual available ram to 3.something gigs, and with the four rigs we run for actual heavy gaming with Vista, we don't run with less than 6 gigs on XMS (high performance) profiles unless we are testing.

Well it is not my system but i am planning on buying it and i have just copied what has been listed. Soo i wont panic about as you have said, this is my first Gaming system oh and the OS included is 64 bit.

I will plunger up the extra money and purchase the 1gb gtx 460 so thanks for all advice.:)
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Cool, and good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Is this your mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131626

If yes, then: Your mobo is a micro-atx and only 2 ram slots. Unless I have space constraints, I usually would not use one myself. For ram, I'd suggest that you get a single stick of 4gig. Also, I'd not get 1600, due to what I mention in the next paragraph.

The FSB is 1000MHz, which is less than half of mine (which is admittedly a more expensive board) which also runs a X4 965. I am not sure how much effect that would have on performance. I'm not the expert on this so, I'll let Al or Iscaran comment on it. I'm also not sure how well this chipset compares to those from AMD.

Your PSU is 650W, which is more than sufficient if you do not x-fire but not really sufficient if you want to (but not possible with the current mobo). A quality 550W would enough if you do not x-fire.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    Dagnabbit, you're right Maeda. I missed that form factor issue. Yeah the micros are usually cheaper because... well, they're cheaper... (have less features and sometimes older constructs).
    On the FSB-don't panic too much since this is a board using HT...
    The FSB is what allows information to move to and from the CPU to the chipsets and thence the components- the less speed you have (which I am simplifying here), the longer it takes and slows your system. You can have the fastest goldarned CPU but it won't matter because you hooked the race horse up to the cart with the square wheels. Further, as a result, FSB speed can be directly impactful on your CPU and RAM operating frequencises because these are usually determined by multipliers applied to the FSB frequency. Now if the board uses hypertransports, which yours does, you have firstly, more actions per clock (you are faster because you play a note on the upbeat AND the downbeat), and you also have an independent memory controller so info to and from the RAM are independent and don't get on the sqaure-wheel horse-cart highway. Still, more is better, and the ATX is cheaper because it dodesn't have all the highspeed lanes that Maeda's does. In every day application, it may not effect you much while traffic is light to medium, but it might when you get to places where you are pressing more information through those lanes, like heavy heavy gaming with maxed out 3d shogunate warriors on a huge screen with everything turned to the max!

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Mine's just a mid-range MSI 870A G54 but the FSB is supposedly 2600 MHz.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    I am not familiar with how much more (if any) it really costs to put the faster HT/FSB system onto a board, or whether it actually is cheaper but they just have so many of the slower, and/or demand for same is such that it is neccessary to fill the demand. Note that FSB is the older system and typically considered the best chance for bottlenecking - as HTs (or QPIs in the Intel world) become the standard for how RAM and chipset instructions are relayed, most likley CPUs will be (once again) the bottleneck -graphic architecture is much more scalable for the forseeable future. There are some interesting (for some) articles on estimating the speed differences between these competiing types of data systems. A brief summation of the impact of FSB speed as well as a summary of HT and QPI speeds (under 'Cons' for FSBs) for the layman is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-side_bus

A slightly more in-depth article is here at Hardware Secrets:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/19