Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Jack's Macedon Campaign Playthrough Discussion Thread

Comments

• EndovellicusEndovellicus Senior Member Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    One update a day for this week.

Cool :)
  • moridinmoridin Member Posts: 73Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for answering me again Jack!
    Sir, you are awesome.
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,805Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Neko wrote: »
    ...Some wanted cookies, hmm?

COOKIES!?

cookie monster.jpg

...One update a day for this week.

Thank you, that should prevent TWR2 withdrawal symptoms.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • mikael123mikael123 Member Posts: 55Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Those sort of randomised quests, incidents etc, are really cool.
  • InsulaInsula Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Great read to kill the days before release. :-)

I have a question about troops and development: Will the look of them change as the game progresses? That is will a unit of Roman legionary cohort infantry look different from say 50 BCE and 50 CE? From footage is seems that there are the variants, but will they be different units types (as I believe they were in Rome TW), or will the same units change looks as time and equipment progresses?

Will you have to re-raise your armies after for instance the Marian reforms, because the new troops are defined as a seperate unit type? It always seemed weird that you had to raise new men, to upgrade equipment etc.
    To do: [Insert some cool latin quote showing I'm smarter than everyone else]
  • willy1willy1 Senior Member Posts: 635Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Insula wrote: »

I have a question about troops and development: Will the look of them change as the game progresses? That is will a unit of Roman legionary cohort infantry look different from say 50 BCE and 50 CE? From footage is seems that there are the variants, but will they be different units types (as I believe they were in Rome TW), or will the same units change looks as time and equipment progresses?

Will you have to re-raise your armies after for instance the Marian reforms, because the new troops are defined as a seperate unit type? It always seemed weird that you had to raise new men, to upgrade equipment etc.

I think it has been stated that old units will be able to upgrade to new ones.
    edited August 2013
    Jack will we have the option to play with more turns per year?
  • Octavius63Octavius63 Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Can I just say that the artwork in the menus looks absolutely amazing and feels really immersive. Congratulations to the art team. Keep up the good work.
    the art of negotiation is twice as difficult as the art of war
  • InsulaInsula Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    willy1 wrote: »
    I think it has been stated that old units will be able to upgrade to new ones.

Ah, excellent, I hadn't seen that anywhere. :) Thanks for making it even harder to wait for the game! ;)
    To do: [Insert some cool latin quote showing I'm smarter than everyone else]
    edited August 2013
    No its just for Rome and Carthage. The rest you always are the ruling family but still need to content with other family's.
    edited August 2013
    willy1 wrote: »
    One more question: Can you choose other than the king family in factions other than Rome, Carthage?

No its just for Rome and Carthage. The rest you always are the ruling family but still need to content with other family's.
  • IronBornIronBorn Senior Member Posts: 167Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    I have often played TW games loving the battles and wishing more from the campaign map. Looking over Jack's play through so far I'm feeling quite optimistic about the depth of the campaign.
    There are no pacts between Lions and Men
  • albert103albert103 Senior Member Posts: 278Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Jack for the last post. I think it's interesting to see minor factions develop, like Syracuse capturing Carthage... this was less likely to happen in previous TW games and hopefully should create some "every campaign is different" feel...
    i4570K OC 4.4Ghz, 16Gb Ram, 128Gb SSD, 2TB HD, GTX 770 OC
    edited August 2013
    albert103 wrote: »
    Thanks Jack for the last post. I think it's interesting to see minor factions develop, like Syracuse capturing Carthage... this was less likely to happen in previous TW games and hopefully should create some "every campaign is different" feel...

Indeed, but do not overestimate that capture. Carthage is an EMPIRE with many more provinces, so the capture of a couple of its provinces, even if one of them is their capital won't stop their counterattack...I am waiting to hear news from Jack for what happens next there...
  • D_A_RD_A_R Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Hi everybody ;-) Thank´s Jack - you are doing great job ;-)
    Just one question....what is that red symbol with skull in circle - above the units???? Is that mean - if army will lose then they will be erased from the face of the earth or is that symbol when the army siege the settlement and looses troops in each turn (it has some nice word in english - but can´t remember it :D) Thank´s for answers ;-)
    "With it or on it."
  • EdrichEdrich Senior Member Posts: 934Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    D_A_R wrote: »
    Hi everybody ;-) Thank´s Jack - you are doing great job ;-)
    Just one question....what is that red symbol with skull in circle - above the units???? Is that mean that if army will lose will be erased from the face of the earth or is that symbol when the army siege the settlement and looses troops in each turn (it has some nice word in english - but can´t remember it :D) Thank´s for answers ;-)

Attrition? :p
    "War is delightful to those who have no experience of it." -Desiderius Erasmus

• SarogSarog Senior Member Posts: 608Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    So the other families in monarchy factions are just a collective entity called "Other Families"? They aren't defined more specifically?
  • MurderinMurderin Senior Member Posts: 1,360Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Yes the shape off the symbol relates to the weight of the unit, relative to other units of that type, so for example African War Elephants would have the meduim icon so Indian Armoured Elephants can have the heavy icon.

Does weight have any effect on infantry vs infantry?
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,805Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Sarog wrote: »
    So the other families in monarchy factions are just a collective entity called "Other Families"? They aren't defined more specifically?

That is correct.
    What I wonder is: will there be only one other family for Rome and Carthage if they become a monarchy?
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • D_A_RD_A_R Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Edrich wrote: »
    Attrition? :p

Precisely - Thanks mate :D
    "With it or on it."
  • IBlewaFuseIBlewaFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,256Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    I love the mission that Rome asked Jack to complete. It adds a huge dimension to the game and really makes your allies more than just blue.
  • Jack Lusted CAJack Lusted CA Creative Assembly Posts: 851CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited August 2013
    Insula wrote: »

There will be multiple different types of units to represent the reforms, and you can upgrade existing units to the new types.
    Sarog wrote: »

That is how they are defined.
    New Content Team Director

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • JUST-ANOTHER-NERDJUST-ANOTHER-NERD Senior Member Posts: 515Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Hey jack will siege engines be able to fire from transport ships?

Thanks.
  • phillerphiller Senior Member Posts: 284Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Hey jack will siege engines be able to fire from transport ships?

Thanks.

I think I saw something of that kind in Battle of the Nile played by Al Bickham. Nevertheless, I dont know if this missiles were launched from siege engine unit or special type of recruited ship..
    "Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters" Alexander the Great
    edited August 2013
    philler wrote: »
    I think I saw something of that kind in Battle of the Nile played by Al Bickham. Nevertheless, I dont know if this missiles were launched from siege engine unit or special type of recruited ship..

That was a naval unit.
  • Steephie22Steephie22 Senior Member Posts: 158Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Oh, and are the general units the same type/class (not sure which one is the word I'm looking for, maybe it's neither lol) for different factions? For example, can Rome have a heavy infantry general? How about Carthage? And Iceni? And is there any faction that ranged general units? I've been wondering this stuff for really long now and it would be nice if you could relieve me from my curiosity :P
  • MacklesMackles Senior Member UKPosts: 5,348Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited August 2013
    Jack, on the subject of trade routes, with the fixed avenues for those routes to take will there be benefits to controlling certain regions which connect to hubs?

As an example, if Sparta wanted to trade with Macedon, would they also have to secure a trade agreement with Athens in order for the trade to pass through? In the same way, will regions in the East have to secure trade agreements with other factions to give them an overland trade route access to the port regions?
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon
  • NekoNeko Senior Member Posts: 400Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Learn to be patient, you have. Just seven day away, the release is. Want a cookie, hmm? Hmmmmmm.

Member of the "More female char's in Total War" Faction!

• Lucius VerusLucius Verus Senior Member Posts: 1,204Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the playthrough Jack

Hey Jack if you don't mind just one question regarding custom battle?
    Will it be more like Rome & Medieval 2 style or Shogun 2.

Thanks.
    Sometime you just need to relax

My most wanted option in diplomacy "give region option" still hope it will finally make it in future patch.
    edited August 2013
    Neko wrote: »
    Learn to be patient, you have. Just seven day away, the release is. Want a cookie, hmm? Hmmmmmm.

Sick burn bro.