Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

shogun 2 and sli

U8mypizza27U8mypizza27 MemberPosts: 51Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Since napoleon and empire hasn't really been sli friendly, will CA actually make the game "perfect" to the even the issue with sli?
Post edited by U8mypizza27 on

Comments

• RaggaRagga Member Posts: 95Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    i too would like to know
    [PORTABLE-ID]ragga[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • BobspeedBobspeed Senior Member Posts: 126Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I don't understand Sli?
    [PORTABLE-ID]bobspeed[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited December 2010
    I believe that's where you bind two graphics cards together to work as a single card, in theory it's supposed to double the fps but from what I've read in reality the result is rarely anywhere near double and sometimes it can even slow both cards down to the extent that you would have been better off just having one lol.
  • DomusvondutchDomusvondutch Senior Member Posts: 195Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    It really does horrify me to see total war players really dont know anything about a computer at all. I would like to infite you here at my home to see the advantage your missing not playin the ultra ultra ultra setting on a 1900x1200 monitor.

SLI en crosfireX with two newcards will never be slower then one card these day. Actually the average is like 80 till 90% perfomance increase.

But dont buy a card for a meazily 100 bucks. I plan to plan with two 6950 crossing fingers they figure out how to make a decend drivers. Otherwise 570 is the way to go.
  • Maddco12Maddco12 Junior Member Posts: 25Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Domus why wouldnt you go 580....other than price.
  • U8mypizza27U8mypizza27 Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I believe that's where you bind two graphics cards together to work as a single card, in theory it's supposed to double the fps but from what I've read in reality the result is rarely anywhere near double and sometimes it can even slow both cards down to the extent that you would have been better off just having one lol.

It doesn't double your fps, but most surely gives a big increase, i have two 460's 1gb, it's really a better benefit two have two if you want to have highest settings on 1920x1080 resolution.
    edited December 2010
    before we get into a huge debate on if it is/isn't worth it... we would like to keep on topic and hopefully CA will have a simple reply to put this thread in the dust.

however, sli only really benifits large resolutions (1900x1200 or 1080x1200). although it will increase frame-rates on all resolutions (never decrease it, unless the game/program does not support SLI/crossfire), the true benifit is in scale'n. Larger resolutions will greatly benifit with dual cards - never to the pointin double'n performance, but usually generate'n a 60+ (sometimes greater) increase. which is worth it, especially if you have an older card and picking another one for 100 is much more reasonalble than trying to sell your old card and then buying a 500 dollar card to make up the difference.

ps. i too am a bit disturbed to see ppl here who still have no clue about SLI/Crossfire:confused:
  • SilvaSilva Senior Member Posts: 674Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Ragga wrote: »

ps. i too am a bit disturbed to see ppl here who still have no clue about SLI/Crossfire:confused:

Haha, why disturbed? If they don't mind, why should you?
    kthe23rd
    "Honestly, if they have both SSFIV AE *and* bubble tea, I don't care if the place is owned by mecha-H!tler, I'm still there."
    Mythos
    "No, you wouldn't, because Mecha-H!tler would kick your ass at Street Fighter and you know it."
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited December 2010
    Ragga wrote: »

You don't need to know everything about PC's in order to be able to enjoy playing games on them you know.
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited December 2010
    I have two 580's in SLI now, and I get a 95% Increase in FPS.. The G500 Architecture is much better than the G400 in the way that the cards work together.

This would probably be better off in tech discussion, but it is about shogun 2. So keep it about SLI with shogun 2 :D

@Ragga:

Not everyone is particularly interested in learning the technical aspects of the PC... Alot of the people here just want to play the game :D

That's why me and Iscaran are here...although i'm not here near as much as I'd like...Fricken Uni..
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
    edited December 2010
    true... no one has to be techy to enjoy playing a TW game, but i guess i assumed that most ppl playing have a gpu or at least have researched in investing to buy a computer would know... none the less, i guess the word "disturbed" disturbed you all... and i retract and say that it is "interesting" to hear that ppl do not know about SLI/Crossfire... I guess just buying a Dell or a computer from BestBuy is good enough for many.

anyways... lets stay on topic here: will it suport SLI?
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited December 2010
    Well they have been talking about improved engine stuff, like optimization among others. and NTW wasn't too bad in terms of the SLI support.. I tried 16X AA on 1920x1080, and its awesome!!! 60FPS all the time :D

Have you ever tried forcing 64X AA with one GPU? on non SLI games it puts the other GPU to good use.
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
    edited December 2010
    one gtx 580's should handle itat 60fps without sli ;) wana give me the other?
  • RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    SLI/crossfire is such a waste, your GPU might be badass but without a equally badass CPU (which on a normal budget is impossible) you might as well be throwing your money away. by the time they got a CPU that can handle your GPU setup to the max your cards are gonna be obsolete anyway.

normal desktop computers just arent at the speed they need to be to justify spending the 500$ for crossfire.
    edited January 2011
    Get an intel core i5 or i7 and then there is no problem with handling multiple high end GPU's.

There not that expensive right now and core i5 is what i'm using i got it for 200$ off of new egg.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,774Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I really don't worry about it. I play onb hugh or ultra:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name THEALIEN
    System Manufacturer Alienware
    System Model Area 51
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Alienware A06, 2/9/2010
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 10.2 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 21.6 GB
    Page File Space 12.0 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

:cool:
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited January 2011
    dge1 wrote: »
    I really don't worry about it. I play onb hugh or ultra:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name THEALIEN
    System Manufacturer Alienware
    System Model Area 51
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Alienware A06, 2/9/2010
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 10.2 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 21.6 GB
    Page File Space 12.0 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

:cool:

alienware is too expensive for it's specs, cool case but other than that you can just build the same specs for half the cost.
    edited January 2011
    alienware is too expensive for it's specs, cool case but other than that you can just build the same specs for half the cost.

True that, ive done it multiple times.

@:rumpullpus
    Not true anymore, get an I7 or I5.. their both perfectly capable of keeping up with 2 580GTX's, even the lower class ones. Their new architecture helps alot.

• RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    True that, ive done it multiple times.

@:rumpullpus
    Not true anymore, get an I7 or I5.. their both perfectly capable of keeping up with 2 580GTX's, even the lower class ones. Their new architecture helps alot.

nah my ATI HD 4870 does just fine, i will however keep that in mind in 4 years when i start thinking about a new CPU
  • GrosskomturGrosskomtur Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    So Shogun 2 "supports" sli?
    edited January 2011
    that is what we are hope'n will be answered here...
  • DomusvondutchDomusvondutch Senior Member Posts: 195Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Maddco12 wrote: »
    Domus why wouldnt you go 580....other than price.

No, price is it. :P

I hope its crossfire x ready.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Well SLI & CrossfireX support isn't something that should come from CA.

Both Nvidia & AMD (ATi) have to provide SLI/CrossfireX application profiles and make sure the drivers allow SLI/CrossfireX opperation with the titles.

Most (if not all) SLI/CrossfireX issues we had (or have) with the Total War series and other games had to be fixed in the drivers.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited January 2011
    i remember... you had to roll back your drivers just to play ETW; i hope nvidia and CA work together for this release
    edited January 2011
    I think this would be better off in the technology forum.

moved

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I am wondering if this question hasn't been already answered "cryptically" in something that was already video'd or printed...

I may come back with a link if I find it (either that or a stinking fishhead...data retrieval is so tricky late at night... lets hope for the former!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited January 2011
    So uhh... any news on that link?? :P

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Still looking. The first place I thought I remembered something cryptically relevant didn't reveal anything, although for those interested in rah-rah intel stuff, there is an amazing amount of stuff over on Intel's YouTube channel, and shows a remarkable level of interest from Intel. I was surprised actually, you may be too check it out. See this anad the related Intel propaganda films:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXd5ZKFOylA&NR=1

Unfortunately, at Intel, they have managed to eliminate anything even in related hardware connections that I could make a multi-GPU inference from. I am looking at another place right now, and I am almost certain it was a direct comment or video response that made me think..."Hmmm!"

Er... Oh My God... I DID come across THIS however!
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282498
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited January 2011
    Minimum Specs (Required for playing Total War: Shogun 2):

2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor , or AMD equivalent (with SSE2)
    1GB RAM (XP), 2GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
    256 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card (shader model 3)
    1024×768 minimum screen resolution
    20GB free hard disk space

Recommended Specs (Recommended for optimum game play of Total War: Shogun 2):

2nd Generation Intel Corei5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
    2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
    AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
    1280×1024 minimum screen resolution
    20GB free hard disk space

Shogun 2 will be released on March 15.

specs are now revealed and my gosh, i can't wait to try this out on my pc i have a core i5 and gtx 460 1gb sli but the amount of memory recommended means i need to get more, currently got 4gb ddr3 ram @1600 need 4 more now lol
  • KurtenKurten Senior Member Posts: 217Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Looks like i should invest in some more RAM, just to be sure.
    [PORTABLE-ID]kurten[/PORTABLE-ID]