Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

LED or LCD???

Bulldog773Bulldog773 Senior MemberPosts: 196Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
I am getting a new monitor just to play this game and would like to know opinions from everybody. I just want to play this game so that it's looks the best that It can.

Questions:
Do you prefer LED or LCD & why?

Do you prefer glossy screen or Anti Glare & why?
Post edited by Bulldog773 on

Comments

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Interesting question. But lets continue this discussion in the tech section.

mods?
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited January 2011
    You rang?? lol

Moved to the Tech section

Ive never used an LED screen, so.. sorry I cant put forth any good info.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I am using the 24 inch samsung BX2450 I got for Christmas off the parents and it is the best monitor I ever used. Much better than my old LCD HD TV which I now have in the lounge. The monitor has a very good response time and unbelievable contrast ratio, better than LCD IMO. No dead pixels to be found and its pretty economical too, if thats your game. It has two HDMI cables to the rear and a pretty swish stand, it is also very thin, has a clear plastic and black gloss bezel and touch sensitive controls.
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Cool question!
    Keep in mind that individual monitor ability and image appearance have many parameters that need to be equal before you can compare the rather more esoteric 'lighting of the pixels'.

LED vs LCD
    I think you will find few folks with LED monitors at this moment, partially because until recently the LED bit was still a little new-to-market for availability and price differential was not favorable. I expect this is likley to change quickly as prices have quickly been equalizing, and as people begin to decide to get new monitors there can be some benefits for the LED based lighting scheme...You have to decide if it matters to you.

I would read this somewhat dated, but mostly technically accurate article about the difference between LED versus LCD lighting, and you can putter about with some of the links there, and then hop on over to Newegg.com, for example and look at pricing.
    Article
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6303368_difference-between-led-lcd.html
    Newegg Monitors
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=19&name=Monitors

Note, what a difference a year makes as we look at price for LEDs that are right in the mix with LCD monitors (not previously the case at all). In fact there is usually less than a $50 upcharge for an LED monitor with similar capabilities from the maker I usually use (ACER) - and sometimes, the LED unit may actually be slightly cheaper for specific models (this may have to do with stands, color, competitor models, and other capabilities that have nothing to do with display capacity -so don't read TOO much into price differences that are so trifling they could just be random marketing noise).

My main take on this is that if ALL THE OTHER PARAMETERS between two monitors are the same, then, and only then, the LED angle of view, the color black, energy and environment may make enough of a difference for you to opt for the LED over an LCD model. (Note that in practice, most makers do not indicate vastly greater viewing angles for LED models- for whatever reason),. As to crispness of color superiority -in theory- I cannot comment. In practice, I have seen a few LED backlit monitors, and I was not able to tell the difference just looking at them or using them - this can have to do with individual monitor capabilities as well since contrast, brightness and reaction time as well as a few other things can have a lot of impact on 'how a monitor looks' whatever its method of lighting.

What I did last time
    My last decision was buying a new monitor for a build for my wife for Christmas (just over two weeks ago). I bought her a 23 inch LCD monitor because the extra $40 for the LED unit didn't make enough difference for me on a $1500 build to care, so I went on another specified parameter, brightness, which was superior in the measured parameters according to the maker. In other words, the specific monitor capability was better in that area for that specific LCD model.

I Would choose based on what you are going to do, and remember, there are all levels of LED as well as LCD monitors. There are many specs that can have an impact on your image, and they may very much far outweigh whichever is the method of lighting the pixels up. Oh, there is one other thing... all other things being equal, an LED screen is usually lighter, if you're buying by weight. ;)

Glossy versus Matte
    For personal machines I always prefer glossy screens for the more 'liquid' and brilliant look on a display. This also has to do with the fact I usually am rarely _using_ a computer in daylight-although I would consider the glare a small price to pay. I know most if not all employees prefer the anti glare unless they are gaming (which... they shouldn't be doing during work hours anyway!).

My last buy? It was a matte finish (anti-glare), because I was out of time and I couldn't verify which model I could get with a glossy screen that would meet all the other demands (sadly Newegg refuses to require this information for their interface). It looks great, and my wife likes it - but I am almost certain I will be buying a glossy screen in the next month or so, and the matte screen will go for the 4 year-old's beater!

Al
    (PS- No, I am not a vampire)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited January 2011
    I have a ten year old Sony 32" widescreen CRT TV that simply refuses to die, thanks to this TV I have completely missed the HD revolution but it will die one day and when it dies I shall buy an LED HDTV, the only real question for me is 3D or not 3D?
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    To make things a bit more complicated I will add two more aspects to decision making process.

There are two types of LED panels (panels being TV or Monitor). There's the Edge Lit LED panel and the full array LED panel.

The Edge Lit LED panels are usualy cheaper, lighter and flatter than the Full Array LED panels but have inferior image quality.
    But beware: That difference in qualitity is getting smaller.

Some more info: http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/02/20/full-array-vs-edge-lit-led-lcd-comparison/

Asside from the LED vs. LCD question there's also the paneltype question. Do we need a (S-)IPS or a TN panel?

TN panels are the most widely used and are cheaper and faster than (S-)IPS. But (S-)IPS usualy offer better colors and viewing angle.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-IPS-vs-TN-Debate-How-to-Pick-the-Best-Panel-for-Your-Needs
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

• ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    Whats a LED ?
    edited January 2011
    ViCToRia wrote: »
    Whats a LED ?

L.E.D. Ligt Emitting Diode. Low power and pure in color source of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    For a traditional LCD monitor, the lighting comes from cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) that then passes through crystals suspended in a soluton.

LED technology is a type of LCD in which multiple diodes (tiny semiconductor tubes) provide the backlighting instead (either with or without color filters) either from the edge or with local dimming, again passing through the same liquid/crystal display.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• Bulldog773Bulldog773 Senior Member Posts: 196Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Thank's everyone for your help. I went to Best Buy yesterday after doing two days of revies to compare (in person) three monitors.ASUS 23", Samsung LED 23", and an LG 23".... I was sure I was sold on the LED but in person gave me a different opinion. The LED was brighter, no question about it but the glossy screen LCD (LG) had the best colors and picture in Best buy. So more than likely I will be going with that one
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    L.E.D. Ligt Emitting Diode. Low power and pure in color source of light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Ah ok a new type of screen ,i go ta HP 2210 wide LCD monitor , a big and good one .
    edited January 2011
    @totalwarfan,

Always good to see things in person.

Just a note on color though... I don't want to confuse the issue, but there are a number of settings that can effect color displays that can radically change how they appear. Factory settings out of the box are nearly always defaulted to too bright and often too vibrant or too dull. Why this is so is one of the eternal questions that make ya' go "Hmmm!", but who knows what those bozo's at BB did to those settings, if anything. You might just ask if you can play about with the colors or what standard they used to set all three (probably they don't even know who set up all three). 23 inch, nice! BTW, do keep in mind the price differential you can get online, although you should also be aware of the return limitations and potential costs!

@ Victoria
    That is a very good screen with a good response rate and 300cd. I believe it is also glossy (a personal preference). I wish Newegg would require makers to indicate whether a screen is anti-glare or glossy. It seems to me an important distinction. Did you choose it on purpose because it was a glossy, or did you buy it through the internet without knowing if it was a glossy?

• ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    i was having this problem recently and i went for a samsung bx2350. i want low power and 2ms response times and Samsungs Magicangle software has me sold as if i want to sit on the couch to watch a film currently there is some level adjustment needed. i also have a LED screen on my laptop which more than competes with my old desktop screen.

plus samsung monitors i have always been a fan, they have a good rep and it has the right connectors for connections to consoles which my old one doesnt. (2 hdmi, and a vga)