Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Anti-virus program for a gaming machine?

dge1dge1 ModeratorArkansas, USAPosts: 18,640Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
edited January 2011 in Technology
I want to install a new anti-virus program on my gaming machine. I've used McAfee for years but think I would like to get something a little less heavy-handed.

Any recommendations from anyone?
"The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I use AVG Free which is only an Anti-Virus (no firewall, etc). I haven't had any virus infections in the 3 years I've been using it *knocks on wood*. It takes a bit of resources when an application launches and it slows system startup, but besides those two cases it is extremely light weight. The good thing about it is that it is free of charge and you can test it and see if it creates any problems on your rig. I have no idea how good the full version of AVG is though, it might cause some issues with games (especially the firewall).

Malewarebytes is a good scanner (it only scans and doesn't heal) if you want to run a diagnostic on your system or suspecting a virus.

I remember Iscaran once had a list of Anti-Viruses on Yuku once and there was a couple that were free of charge.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Please note, I am not advising you to do what I do, but sorry, I don't use any on gaming/personal only rigs. Gave them up for precisely the reason you are asking that question. Depending on what I am doing, I 'may' use up to three firewalls and even an extra hop through a 'sitting duck' machine along with enforced common sense (by far the hardest part) to prevent any nonsense these last ten years. I do occasional sweeps, back up or store duplicate disk images off-site, and I wipe my drives whenever I have the slightest notion they're even messy... I am not, however, a typical user and have spare hardware, OS software, and systems lying about at all times.

For Business and tax machines which are on a seperate network from personal and lan machines, I have some perennial Nortons (Symantec), but prefer Kapersky, although the 2011 version is more expensive than last year, it is supposed to be better on resource useage - there's a review of the 2010 version on the first link below. Also the sites below have a number of reviews on other AVs, of which the first one seems to prefer Vipre, while the other likes the two I use along with F-Secure and Avira. You can look around at the new and not so new, including what they tested on your McAfee by clicking on links on the upper left of the first site.

Note that DarkSides' AV gets a pretty good rating on the second site as does another AV called Avast which also offers a free 'light' version that is an AV only. Note the tested versions are the full-boat copies of these makers (which are NOT free).

Individual Reviews, and indepth scoring
    http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/reviews/kaspersky_antivirus_software.html

A more proffessional and (boringly dry but) scientific benching of AVs in a comparative format is found here:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I use the free version of avira...very slim (only uses less than 10% CPU power and based on an old athlon x2 5400+) and fast and very reliable AV (see linked reviews). Never noticed and significant performance drops while gaming.

I can't agree with Al though that having multiple firewalls makes an AV installed obsolete - I have had some occassions where some "downloads" contained a virus...not to mention some of the newer forms spreading via ICQ and consorts or just by visiting a hijacked forum page. But AVIRA has blocked all of those in the past even when our university network (a few years ago) broke down due to the blaster worm, my own avira protected system was clean. Whilst all other were ****** up I was still doing research *LOL*.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I have always used Spybot Search and Destroy. It is free and regular updates are made available.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Iscaran wrote: »
    I can't agree with Al though that having multiple firewalls makes an AV installed obsolete -...

LMAO!
    Now, now! Heh heh, I didn't say they were obsolete, and I didn't say that firewalls would make them so! Also I said I 'may' use multiple firewalls... though in fact, much of the time I myself don't use more than a very good router's firewall, enforced common sense, and nothing else. Other users may get slapped with more firewalls, etc - I OWN the network. lol

I also believe I said I am not a typical user, and don't do what I do! [chuckle]

My personal network is used only by my family and the very few users we let onto the lan. My rules on what can be done or used are strict and the primary router on that network is a DL4100. Screw up and I will not only micromanage what sites and specific pages you can access, but what (if anything) you can download, get for e mail, edit, or even access on your individual machine's account. I regularly 'listen' on the most common ports and daily router log reports tell me what is going on for either network - Anything abnormal, I not only know it within a day, I know where it is and, probably, what it is.

Not everyone is a 51 year-old techno-geek fanatic looking for an excuse to play with obscure settings, secretly hoping someone has a melt-down so there is a justification (no matter how weak) to buy more hardware...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,640Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Good stuff all.

For Al, I had not be using a Anti-Virus program, just a Firewall, and regular scans from MS updates. The automatic update is screwed up now due to something Microsoft updated and I have to do the checks manually now. With other family members using it from time to time I just am not comfortable any more without an anti-virus something. I backup weekly but it is a pain to clean up a PC and re-install everything.

Thanks again everyone.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited January 2011
    I know how that can be, dge1 !

Best of luck, and let us know what you decided to do?

Al

• maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    i have used ESET smart security for a few years now and touch wood have been virus free. I am currently using the 4th edition and its the best yet. It adds around 1 second to start up time and uses barely any resources. It scans your computer constantly for threats, everytime you open a file or click a webpage. It sounds as though it would be a hog, but seriously, I haven't come accross a more CPU friendly anti-virus, ever. It has the complete package, including ad blockers, firewall, malware blockers (although I also use malwarebytes to make double sure). I would highly recommend you try their trial version and see what you think.
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War