Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

Comments

• Kiing LeonidasKiing Leonidas Banned Posts: 308Banned Users
    edited September 2013
    CA could have been one of the best developer but they died for me. Rome 2 is definetly the last game i bought from CA and Sega.
  • robba9robba9 Senior Member Posts: 859Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    We all appreciate this OP!
    Peace can only be achieved through war, TOTAL WAR!!!:p

No purple-pijama-cowards will stop me, PARTHIA WILL DIE!:mad::mad:

European players looking for some multiplayer add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037250771/:o
  • DEADLY9996DEADLY9996 Senior Member Posts: 1,600Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    davek2807 wrote: »
    The forums were spammed with complaints about battle speed every time a new video came out showing battle footage and here we are after release with the battles pretty much as fast as those videos which they said would be toned down. All developers from most major franchises have a God complex these days, they know whats good and what isnt and screw the customer.

They lied on both factors -

They said Flags were in sieges and historical battles only.

Battle Speed - They said it was sped up for those live trailers etc and would be much slower on release (which it wasn't)

If implemented properly, flags could make the game realistic (they actually wouldn't need a flag todo it)
    as for the battle speed, it's not the actual speed of the men, thats realistic, it's how fast they fight, die & break.
    Say what?
  • T_TornadoT_Tornado Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »

One of you guessed right however.

edit: mb
  • AnnonDevAnnonDev Senior Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Riithi wrote: »
    I don't see CA coming out and telling us they didn't have the time to properly QA it.
    In a way they would kinda throw SEGA under the bus that way, so yeah, not going to happen ever.

Reality is that we cannot be given a truthful answer, because for CA/SEGA it is not in their best interest.

What I hope happens is that CA gets a pot of money from sega to fix these post-release problems, so CA can optimize, fix problems and retcon some design decisions..

It has happened before. Square did it with the Final Fantasy recent game. I remember them accepting the feedback and promising to sort it out. I was amazed.
  • madmariomadmario Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    It has happened before. Square did it with the Final Fantasy recent game. I remember them accepting the feedback and promising to sort it out. I was amazed.

Stardock too with Elemental. Takes a serious set of balls, though, and a cogent strategic vision. (Isn't that part of what's missing here, in several ways?)
    "[A]ges of siege warfare culminated in the use of torches. It is simply not plausible." Garbarsardar
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Posts: 997Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Darth himself or not, this guy seems to have only Darhtmod as words.

No idea who Anon really is, but your posts are far more "trollish" than any that come from the op :p
    Who cares if he is/is not Darth? The points are valid and well reasoned. I have not seen him trying to get attention onto Darthmod or even talking about them before you and a few others started discussing it.

Personally i love darthmod. Its up there with stainless steel for me, and i know he integrate alot from other mods into his mod (and sofar as i can tell, he always had permission and credited them with their work)

So love him, or hate him but facts are that his mods are and were very popular so please stop ****ing around. I respect your view that you dont like him or his mod but who cares? This thread is not a mod thread, we are not here to discuss darthmod but the state of the game and how it came to this.

Make your own thread, or discuss the topic of darth and his retirement in any of the other threads ive already seen on this topic
    2%
    edited September 2013
    I'm not a modder from warscape engine, so you do not know me. Although I concur with what the one you have in mind says at TWC.
    But here we are.

I'm not personnaly judging you, just I think this painful to always hear "Darthmod" as a magical word. It doesn't help modding. Darth did great things, but he is not entire TW modding.
    TW modding is interesting because of that whole souk of mods we have at TWC, not thanks to one mod.
    Darthmod is just adding some colors to a decent hair-cut, while other mods created their haircut, that's the thing, and that's why it is not at all representative to the whole modding community.

This is the last time I'm going to say this, stop talking about him, and either stay on topic or derail another post.
  • madmariomadmario Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Darth himself or not, this guy seems to have only Darhtmod as words.

That's at best an ad hominem. As pertains to the topic of the thread, his or her ideas are meritorious.
    "[A]ges of siege warfare culminated in the use of torches. It is simply not plausible." Garbarsardar
    edited September 2013
    Thank you to all that have posted here, I was taken aback with your good will. It was a tough choice for me to post this because I knew there would be an effort to find out who I am.

For example my Linkedin profile has been viewed 3 times in the last hour, one from a CA employee....
  • Kenshin_czKenshin_cz Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    excellent post!! thank you for it
  • VaulcanVaulcan Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    we should look at the talk about game size too, we all heard about the 40gig+ game, the closer to release they sayed it was around 18gig.
    I think the other 20+ thats missing is clear to see. they made it sound all great "oh yea loads DLC" that really ment "Finishing the game over time"
  • BennyMendtBennyMendt Senior Member Posts: 297Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Empire was awful and after I downloaded his Mod it was ok
    Rome II: Après Darth, le déluge.

Modders can´t change BAI, only adjust some aspects that might influence BAI decisions.

As pertains to the topic of the thread, his or her ideas are meritorious.
    Certainly, nobody denies it.
  • RavenXRavenX Senior Member Posts: 156Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nuphoria wrote: »

Well, that's it then....

If they start making TW games with console play in mind from the start, then TW:Rome 2 is the LAST ONE that will have any kind of gameplay detail and depth. Console gamers don't want complicated strategy games (not usually, always exceptions though). I don't think Rome 2 has been "dumbed down" in terms of the tech tree or basic mechanics that much, but if they start making these aiming at the console market then the series will completely become child's play in terms of real strategy, choices, and especially controls.

If they start going console with the main TW series I'm out. I don't care about Arena, go console with that, but please don't take the main TW series that way. If you do this CA, and you don't tell SEGA they can't do that with the PC franchise version, it will kill the series for your veterans such as myself who have been here for every PC game you've made.
  • BadvocBadvoc Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013

the problem here I just don't ******g understand, is why release a game without closed, open beta ?

I think we know now why there was no open beta or a demo. It would have dramatically affected sales.

I just went back and watched the early videos promoting the game and you know what the warning signs were there from day one. They were really pushing things like the unit cam mode and I mean really trying to sell it and now that I have the game I realise just how insignificant that feature actually is to this series. I used it once just to see what it was like in over 20hrs play.

The early videos now reek of being directed elaborate pieces and not really representative of gameplay.

I now think that CA have boxed themselves into a corner and this will not be resolved well. What I would love for them to do is be honest and hold their arms up and you know what the community would most likely forgive them and they can work their asses off for Medieval 3 or even remake this again and actually make it a Total War game that we all want.
  • T_TornadoT_Tornado Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    For example my Linkedin profile has been viewed 3 times in the last hour, one from a CA employee....

The plot thickens..
  • Col. GrizzlyCol. Grizzly Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    RavenX wrote: »
    Well, that's it then....

If they start making TW games with console play in mind from the start, then TW:Rome 2 is the LAST ONE that will have any kind of gameplay detail and depth. Console gamers don't want complicated strategy games (not usually, always exceptions though). I don't think Rome 2 has been "dumbed down" in terms of the tech tree or basic mechanics that much, but if they start making these aiming at the console market then the series will completely become child's play in terms of real strategy, choices, and especially controls.

If they start going console with the main TW series I'm out. I don't care about Arena, go console with that, but please don't take the main TW series that way. If you do this CA, and you don't tell SEGA they can't do that with the PC franchise version, it will kill the series for your veterans such as myself who have been here for every PC game you've made.

Yeah, I'm out if they announce on console. If they forget where they came from - PC. I will not buy another TW game. After having owned all since Rome 1.

It is a sad day.
  • markorplymarkorply Senior Member Posts: 733Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    That's the second time you've mentioned him in a negative tone. What I do know is that his mods were the most downloaded, most popular, most comprehensive, and the most stable.

Feel free to name better modders with better mods, because I smell something personal.
    I think he referred to the fact that part of the darthmod fanbase honor him for skills he does not have, no doubt he is a successful modder but there is only so much changing stats can do as to coding, saying he is great because he is popular doesn't reflect on the quality of the mod to me, justin bieber is popular, is he good? no, is darthmod good? at managing and modding why not, but saying he is better than anyone else is too far, he can't literally code AI,he can improve it.. sure but I am just saying if anyone thinks darthmod can save the game I'd say a lot of others would be just as able and as skilled as he may be I have seen people treat him as a prophet/messiah and it's sad

As for your review I can agree with a lot points you have put out there, bottom line the game was not tested..as for you claiming to be an anon dev I see no reason, you backed up your points without needing saying you were a dev but you did anyways, don't really care though
    Add:markorply on steam if you like
    "There is no ignorance in those who can see beyond what they perceive and into what they have yet to learn in a positive and edifying way." -Hardwaremaster
  • Col. GrizzlyCol. Grizzly Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you to all that have posted here, I was taken aback with your good will. It was a tough choice for me to post this because I knew there would be an effort to find out who I am.

Well, I applaud you for coming here and telling it how it is. CA should take some notes.
  • FieldMedicFieldMedic Member Posts: 92Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I'm a pretty big CA/Total War fan boy but this guy is spot on. I think the best thing we can hope for is the inevitable patches/mods to help this game reach it's full potential, because make no mistake this game has a ton of potential, even in it's current form.
    "It's not enough to live. You have to have something to live for" - Commander Adama
  • YngveYngve Senior Member Posts: 948Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for taking the time to create this thread.
    .. and on occasion, I play video games.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/videogamebanana
  • Stilgar of MundusBellicusStilgar of MundusBellicus Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    markorply wrote: »
    This was my idea, my english is not good you did better.

To return to the opening post, I agree with it on many points. But I don't think this is different from the release of Empire Total War. I have the real feeling of living the same release.

@ Annon : I've sent you a pm, which explains more.
  • jmaszkjmaszk Senior Member ...riding with the Sarmatae Auxilia...Posts: 1,297Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I fully agree with everything you have said. Thank you for coming here and laying it all out.

I am deeply distressed by the direction that my favorite game franchise has gone to. I've been playing Total War since the original Shogun. It seems that the rich experience that used to be available has been replaced by a d.umbed down console friendly version. LOL...the metrics used to convince us that the redesign was a good one. "We will replace siege battles with 5-min battles & capture the flag. Because that is better."
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum";)

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori
  • Vash The StampedeVash The Stampede Senior Member Posts: 533Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    More wood to the fire. Just what we needed.
    "the stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I’m not dead either."
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,110Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    yes, this game lacks so much, ui, units formations, controls, even move forward button is lost - almost as if this game was tailored for console pad with no respect for TW tradition. in fact it has been simplified to a level where I can imagine it being on my cellphone as 3 euro worth game. Empire was a little bit of a ""shock"" to me because of stationary combat - shooting, something that I was unfamiliar with. but even Empire was much more enjoyable than this one. I was hyped for Shogun 2 and there was no big dissapointment, after watching Rome 2 spots, gameplays - I was almost climbing skyscrapers with my hype levels - if somebody was to ask me about my life trauma connected with my hobby (gaming) then I would easily say Rome 2.

about Darth, most probably I'm wrong but something make sme think that someone wants this topic shut down and that is why he/they try to derail it
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• Gen Hannibal BarcaGen Hannibal Barca Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You know, thinking back on it I really was super into the graphics/new campaign options/even the sound, but mostly because I figured the basics of the game would be built on or kept the same. I'll admit I was into the hype, but because I never could have imagined this.
    Thank you for posting this and keeping it professional, props to you. I'm not entirely sure how it would work but you and the Rome 2 - A casualty of the casual? aught to get together with a group of other representatives from the community and sit down with CA. As someone who really sees the value in this type of strategy gaming, I'd love to see this saved.
    Do you think such a thing is possible?
    "Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
    - Erwin Rommel
    "He who defends everything defends nothing."
    -Frederick II
    "I will either find a way or I will make one."
    -Yours Truly
  • NorsaNorsa Senior Member Posts: 997Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This reminds me of Sword of the stars 2. That release was among the worst to ever happen for any computer game! (the ai was almost not even included into the game)

Kerberose are the developers with Paradox as publisher. Both parties went out on their respective forums (kerberose forum and paradox forum) and apologized to the fans. They said it was do or die, they had to release it or risk not getting the game out at all. They then laid out a plan with 2 patches a week in the first period + a free expansion to all who bought the game early.

This is the right way to handle things, the outcry died down a fair bit due to this!
    Macron (the boss of kerberose) even made a thread himself inviting people to say(troll) what they felt (suspending the normally strict forum rules) He also read and answered all of the most common complaints.
    2%
    edited September 2013
    markorply wrote: »
    I think he referred to the fact that part of the darthmod fanbase honor him for skills he does not have, no doubt he is a successful modder but there is only so much changing stats can do as to coding, saying he is great because he is popular doesn't reflect on the quality of the mod to me, justin bieber is popular, is he good? no, is darthmod good? at managing and modding why not, but saying he is better than anyone else is too far, he can't literally code AI,he can improve it.. sure but I am just saying if anyone thinks darthmod can save the game I'd say a lot of others would be just as able and as skilled as he may be I have seen people treat him as a prophet/messiah and it's sad

As for your review I can agree with a lot points you have put out there, bottom line the game was not tested..as for you claiming to be an anon dev I see no reason, you backed up your points without needing saying you were a dev but you did anyways, don't really care though

The post would have been drowned out and you know it.
  • rad13rad13 Member Posts: 616Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I applaud the OP - that is a brilliant insight and having read through this whole thread, has obviously resonated and educated many fans including myself.

Thank you for taking the time. Fingers crossed that your optimism in CA and the mod community proves well-founded.
  • Stilgar of MundusBellicusStilgar of MundusBellicus Member Posts: 58Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This reminds me of Sword of the stars 2. That release was among the worst to ever happen for any computer game! (the ai was almost not even included into the game)

Although I hope these two games have not much in common. Indeed Sots2 is not only buggy, the design is **** from scratch...
This discussion has been closed.