Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Review from an Anonymous Developer [CA response]

Comments

• ZDTreefurZDTreefur Senior Member Posts: 161Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Norsa wrote: »
    This reminds me of Sword of the stars 2. That release was among the worst to ever happen for any computer game! (the ai was almost not even included into the game)

Kerberose are the developers with Paradox as publisher. Both parties went out on their respective forums (kerberose forum and paradox forum) and apologized to the fans. They said it was do or die, they had to release it or risk not getting the game out at all. They then laid out a plan with 2 patches a week in the first period + a free expansion to all who bought the game early.

This is the right way to handle things, the outcry died down a fair bit due to this!
    Macron (the boss of kerberose) even made a thread himself inviting people to say(troll) what they felt (suspending the normally strict forum rules) He also read and answered all of the most common complaints.

To be fair though, the release of Sword of the Stars 2 problems had a legitimate reason.
    It was basically an accident. They sent off an old half-completed beta version of their product instead of the final one they had finished. Having it already released in that way, they scrambled at somehow putting back in the last 6 months of their development into a running game with patches.

The apologies and all that? I don't see that remotely happening here with CA.
  • BadvocBadvoc Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    AnnonDev wrote: »
    The post would have been drowned out and you know it.

You are absolutely correct and marko is completely wrong on that point. The fact that you are a developer gives your post a sense of, for want of a better word, gravitas.
  • Col. GrizzlyCol. Grizzly Senior Member Posts: 312Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Norsa wrote: »
    This reminds me of Sword of the stars 2. That release was among the worst to ever happen for any computer game! (the ai was almost not even included into the game)

Kerberose are the developers with Paradox as publisher. Both parties went out on their respective forums (kerberose forum and paradox forum) and apologized to the fans. They said it was do or die, they had to release it or risk not getting the game out at all. They then laid out a plan with 2 patches a week in the first period + a free expansion to all who bought the game early.

This is the right way to handle things, the outcry died down a fair bit due to this!
    Macron (the boss of kerberose) even made a thread himself inviting people to say(troll) what they felt (suspending the normally strict forum rules) He also read and answered all of the most common complaints.

I remember that. Even though it still took about 1 Year+ to fix that pile of crud.

But at least they acknowledged everything and make an apology. Fat chance of CA doing that. Not with being SEGA's lapdog an' all.
  • DrippyDrippy Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I was as big an optimist for this game as probably anyone was, loved the original Rome and had been waiting on this for a while. I've played every Total War since Shogun 1 and have been a huge fan of the series (despite being an absolutely terrible tactician). I can run the game on Extreme no problem, but that doesn't cover the glaring gameplay problems. At the end of the day, it just isn't a fun game for me and I don't feel like it should have been released in its current state. I was a bit bored with Shogun 2 despite it being a good game because of the homogenous pool of units and factions to choose from. However, I feel like at this point that I'd have been happier with a Rome-skinned copy of Shogun 2 over this clunky piece of ****. It makes me really sad because I was so looking forward to this game, and even bought myself a new PC as an early birthday present entirely to run it on.

It is almost like this game was designed by people that don't actually play video games. It makes me feel almost like either our opinions aren't valued, or they simply aren't listening. It would go a long way for me for CA to just own it and come out and say "hey guys, we're really sorry, we know we messed up but we can fix it." It's gonna make me really sad if R2 was developed with porting to console in mind, because if this is the trend TW games are going to take, this is probably the last one I buy.
  • markorplymarkorply Senior Member Posts: 733Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Maybe, but I dislike the fact you reassure anonymous statements with a vague background, I guess persuasion helps to carry a point I have no problem with it though, are you able to show some of your works too? if not that's fine, I don't want it as a weapon just curious
    Add:markorply on steam if you like
    "There is no ignorance in those who can see beyond what they perceive and into what they have yet to learn in a positive and edifying way." -Hardwaremaster
  • VaulcanVaulcan Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    yea i cant understand how they missed so much during testing, some if the bugs are IN YOUR FACE! lol
  • busa27busa27 Senior Member Posts: 1,744Registered Users
    edited September 2013

I'm agreed.

Excellent read. Thank you.
    edited September 2013
    Badvoc wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct and marko is completely wrong on that point. The fact that you are a developer gives your post a sense of, for want of a better word, gravitas.
    how can anonymous take credit for something they can't prove give gravitas, if anything it's just a way to butter the post
    seriously, how am I completely wrong....annon didn't even disagree that being a dev gives a logical point in an argument valid info, he agreed it only helped his post to be taken a bit more seriously
    "There is no ignorance in those who can see beyond what they perceive and into what they have yet to learn in a positive and edifying way." -Hardwaremaster
  • JonniJonni Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Example: Battles lasting 5mins? That belongs here and will have been picked up in a robust testing cycle
    Example: Passive Battle AI? Units rushing your troops then breaking off last second? That belongs here and will have been picked up in a robust testing cycle
    Example: Passive Campaign AI? That belongs here and will have been picked up in a robust testing cycle

This is so true, personaly im enraged about the AI that its so passive on campaing, dosent make good units or dosent attack whit armys that have eaven small chance to win. its simply madly ridiculous.

I remember when i watch the rally point video when the dev said that the AI will be epic that its better than ever before. Just one question what happend between that video and launch? Did they change tactic to stupid AI is much more fun or something? If theres no challenge in the game eaven whit legendary difficulty whats the point in the game specialy when it strategy game so it should be hard if u want it to be. -_- hopefully they chance the AI system soon cos atm its so boring that i can not eaven but it to words how annoyed i am.
  • nomisumnomisum Senior Member Posts: 129Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    excellent posting.
  • AnnonDevAnnonDev Senior Member Posts: 144Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    markorply wrote: »
    Maybe, but I dislike the fact you reassure anonymous statements with a vague background, I guess persuasion helps to carry a point I have no problem with it though, are you able to show some of your works too? if not that's fine, I don't want it as a weapon just curious

Stick to subject please, I've been clear about what I will and wont say about myself If you don't believe me that's your issue.

Someone here knows me already.
  • ZhijnZhijn Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yup this game is filled to the brink with issues. I too have em, and im rather dissapointed in how it has turned out.

But there absolutely no way your post have convinced me your an "Anonymous Developer". What i see reading your topic a angry (or trolling) gamer attempting to gain attention by creating some fantasy persona. And you folks replying to him need to read between the lines.
  • Drop ShockDrop Shock Member Posts: 88Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Zhijn wrote: »
    Yup this game is filled to the brink with issues. I too have em, and im rather dissapointed in how it has turned out.

But there absolutely no way your post have convinced me your an "Anonymous Developer". What i see reading your topic a angry (or trolling) gamer attempting to gain attention by creating some fantasy persona. And you folks replying to him need to read between the lines.

Why would it even matter? It's an extremely well written post, and that is what (most) people have been replying to.
  • madmariomadmario Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    But there absolutely no way your post have convinced me your an "Anonymous Developer".

More ad hominem fallacy. They have the ring of authenticity to my eyes and ears--but it doesn't matter. His or her ideas stand on their own.
    "[A]ges of siege warfare culminated in the use of torches. It is simply not plausible." Garbarsardar
    edited September 2013
    Stick to subject please, I've been clear about what I will and wont say about myself If you don't believe me that's your issue.

Someone here knows me already.
    if you don't want to share that info then don't use it as a backup, that's like me saying, I'm famous then telling people to not talk to me about it
  • DrippyDrippy Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited September 2013

Regardless of whether he is or isn't, his post is spot-on, and would probably be ignored or moved to Rants and Raves otherwise.
  • VaulcanVaulcan Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited September 2013

Who he is does not really matter. the relevance of his post it what counts.
  • HogiewanHogiewan Senior Member Posts: 150Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Big publishers are always the death of any new media. Once it becomes a purely commercial enterprise, products become lacklustre and marketing budgets double.

Publishers have no love of great games they take a purely mercenary outlook. The issue is they are the only ones with the money to fund the scale of game we want to play, so any developer has to dance to their tune.

In respect to Rome 2, I honestly believe CA did their best with the budget and time they had. We need to face facts that they're only the Director of the game, and no matter how talented a Director is, producers have final say on deadlines and budget. You could be the greatest game developer of all time and still make bad games if they're rushed out the door.

Ever see a terrible movie and then hear the Director's cut was awesome? Same principle :(
  • robthegreatrobthegreat Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited September 2013
  • lewisalewisa Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    if you don't want to share that info then don't use it as a backup, that's like me saying, I'm famous then telling people to not talk to me about it

Small industry. Bridges burn.
    edited September 2013
    Drippy wrote: »
    Regardless of whether he is or isn't, his post is spot-on, and would probably be ignored or moved to Rants and Raves otherwise.

Correct. Without a doubt it would be moved.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,295Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    well, at least, reaching 1k hours achievement will be really, really, really hard. it may scar your psyche for an entire life. Op's list is nice, gonna compare it with what has been done after todays patch
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

edited September 2013
    Hogiewan wrote: »
    Big publishers are always the death of any new media. Once it becomes a purely commercial enterprise, products become lacklustre and marketing budgets double.

Publishers have no love of great games they take a purely mercenary outlook. The issue is they are the only ones with the money to fund the scale of game we want to play, so any developer has to dance to their tune.

In respect to Rome 2, I honestly believe CA did their best with the budget and time they had. We need to face facts that they're only the Director of the game, and no matter how talented a Director is, producers have final say on deadlines and budget. You could be the greatest game developer of all time and still make bad games if they're rushed out the door.

Ever see a terrible movie and then hear the Director's cut was awesome? Same principle :(

An interesting post my friend, and fairly on target. The moment you sell you cease being CA you turn into a division of SEGA
    edited September 2013
    Correct. Without a doubt it would be moved.
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/78891-The-official-constructive-criticism-thread
    is he an anon dev too?
    edited September 2013

Someone messaged me to ask if I would post this there too, so I did.
    edited September 2013
  • hvypetalshvypetals Senior Member Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    thanks anondev us old tw vets appreciate your honesty.
    edited September 2013
    hvypetals wrote: »
    thanks anondev us old tw vets appreciate your honesty.

You are welcome, the best thing you can do is keep this thread alive to make it clear you all have a voice.
  • Emperor DomitianusEmperor Domitianus Senior Member Posts: 1,243Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I like the OP post but I disagree with him about the modders being the future of the game. For TW games I never found the mods the best way to improve them. I would say that is CA duty and job to make the game perfect. They made it they are the only one capable of pulling out the best from it.
    edited September 2013
    '

As it clearly says in the post....
    I was talking about the threads op..not this...mainly the fact his thread remains while he is not a dev
This discussion has been closed.