Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

New and Affordable Graphics Card Anyone?

MD28MD28 Junior MemberPosts: 20Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
I need a new one for my computer. Anyone know of one that is under about $60. Also, one that makes sense for this system:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page File: 877MB used, 3051MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
Post edited by MD28 on

Comments

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    according to CNet your model currently has a Nvidia GeForce 8300GS.

But upgrading under $60.- thats going to be hard. But not impossible.

You might be able to buy a Radeon 5570 1GB model for arround $60.-. Alternatively you could go looking for second hand Radeon 4850 1GB on eBay.

But don't expect dramatic performance increases.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • MD28MD28 Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Would getting an external card for about $60 to $100 US do me any good. I was told that might make my ETW game actually playable. Right now I cant play in battles because the screen is all jumbled up. That and it shuts down in a naval battle.
    edited December 2010
    basiclly all i want to do is be able to play the game. I dont need online battles at real life speed with graphics so good that I wonder if I'm really there. Just a card that I can get from Best Buy that wont break the bank, or cost more than my computer is worth.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    I've just checked the BestBuy website. Best Buy doesn't exaclty have the lowest price. (Read: they are expensive)
    BestBuy has a 5570 1GB on the list for $119.- NewEgg sells the same card for $64.99. So if you don't want to break the bank don't buy at BestBuy.

If your budget allows it a ATi 5670 1GB would be a better choice though. NewEgg sells them for $89.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125340&cm_re=ATi_5670-_-14-125-340-_-Product
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

• IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    External cards are bottlenecked by their connection (to the mainboard). They are usually only have PCI or USB....way tooo slow for the fast data transfer needed for high performance graphics.

Definitely get a dedicated internal card if you wish to do gaming with it.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
    edited December 2010
    MD28's wife here.
    Scratch the external card, I got that one all messed up. We were never told that would work....but I misunderstood.
    What's the difference between 5670 and 5570?
    Would 512MB work? I know bigger the better usually, but am just checking what would work the best for this game. Although we don't need perfect graphics we want the game to run smoothly, and if we have to fork out an extra $10 or so not a big deal.
    Thanks for the websites, all we have around here is Best Buy for stores, and that's all we know about.
    Thanks for dealing with our inept computer skills.
    edited December 2010
    Is power supply going to be a issue as well? We are a little more willing to spend more money for a graphics card that will run off of our original power supply. The dell site says the Radeon 4670 will work but doesnt have a list of compatibility for the better ones. So we are a little confused.
    edited December 2010
    Lost patience and went into computer. First time i did that. Found out my psu is only capable of a meager 300 W. That probably means I need one of those too. Any recommendations? Is a 500 w good enough? If I have too I guess I am looking in the $50 range, and then the $100 range (gulp) for graphics card. If that doesn't help game play then please tell me to give it up. If my cause is hopeless, then does anyone want ETW for $10?
    edited December 2010
    500W is well enough. I have a 530W myself.

But wattage isn't all a PSU is about - rather take a good brand one, Corsair, be Quiet, similar.

The 300W PSU might be enough for a 5570 or 5670 though.
    Here check with the calculator your power needs. Assume "worst" case (Means 100% load or utilization and include really ALL components you have). That would be better for your budget I guess. If the calculator does not exceed 250W the 300W PSU is well enough, even if it is a generic one.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

EDIT: The 4670 is basically the same as the 5570. The 5670 would be significantly faster.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,599Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Iscaran wrote: »
    500W is well enough. I have a 530W myself.

But wattage isn't all a PSU is about - rather take a good brand one, Corsair, be Quiet, similar.

The 300W PSU might be enough for a 5570 or 5670 though.
    Here check with the calculator your power needs. Assume "worst" case (Means 100% load or utilization and include really ALL components you have). That would be better for your budget I guess. If the calculator does not exceed 250W the 300W PSU is well enough, even if it is a generic one.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

EDIT: The 4670 is basically the same as the 5570. The 5670 would be significantly faster.

You'd have to factor in the PSU age. If it is a generic... I don't like smokin' PSUs... (I burnt one before!)
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    thankyou that is very helpfull!
    edited December 2010
    My psu was made in 2008. is that too old?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Ah HAH! I see what the confusion is now... You have a very unusual mixture of items in that 530, some are too old, some are too new, and some... are too many! LOL Got a newer 530 version and then loaded up your old Xp and added ram maybe? Anyway:

1)What you have:Apparently silly 'Dellmonte Pineapples' changed their system specs all over the place for the Inspiron 530, so what you have is a C2D 4500 version probably with the Intel GMA x3100 - that's an inexpensive 'onboard', 'integrated' or 'embedded' video chip, meaning its built into the motherboard/system -not actually a seperate component like regular video cards. So, what you are looking for is a 'discrete' or independent card (its still going to be internally installed, its just not already built into the 'mobo' or motherboard - See? You're getting all this tech lingo no problem!).

2) What you need. Don't give up! You're sooo close!
    You (or someone there) would certainly be losing out on a load of fun and (cough) completely unintentional (I assure you!) education...! Its also a great community of folks from around the world, and we want YOU! Lets look at what you need:
    NO doubt, you can't play with the integrated video chip you have -so you need a video card and I am almost certain you are going to need a PSU, or you are going to regret it: one, because you probably don't have enough power, or enough of the the "right kind"; and two, I doubt your 300 watt PSU has the PCIe cable you will need to hook up additional power to your newer video card (whatever it is), and may not even have an extra couple of plugs available for an adapter if you get one with your new card

2a)PSU How can you figure it out?
    I also occassionally use the PSU calculator that Iscaran pointed you to, but it may be a little intimidating if you are not certain about terms and basic system measurements... I also note that nearly all the older CPUs can no longer be retrieved for data - so you can't really get an accurate estimate of wattage - Also, you need to understand how much 'juice' (amps) you need on the 12+V rail. This is techno-geek-speak for a particualr 'flavor' of power your PSU provides for many of the components that need it, and it has to provide a certain minimum of it, or those components won't work well, or very long, or at all!

I am going to guess that your computer is between 2 and 3 years old already, and you will want it to work at least another year or two after you put a 'new' video card into it...Right? ;) That means we have to build in a safety margin because PSU capacity to provide watts, as well as amps on the 12+V rail diminishes over time (like my ability to play tennis - except without the laughing and injured passers-by)!

Anyway, you need to build in what it has lost already plus what it is going to lose in the future... A typical rule of thumb is about 5 to 10% a year. I usually go with the higher number because I am risk averse and value my expensive components. Its way cheaper to buy a new PSU than a new video card! Given this, your 300 watter is already not delivering what a real video card will want, and probably doesn't have the amps on the 12+v rail anyway, either.

So lets use a rule of thumb for a general system like yours that doesn't have a lot of stuff on it - this is about 12 to 14 amps on the 12v+ (with the safety margin included) for the 'system' (CPU, motherboard, all your drives, fans, lights, pci, and other add on cards EXCEPT your video card) - about 160 watts (with a small margin of safety but not much at maximum). Legit Reviews and Guru3d both test the 5670 video card out as using about 152 watts (12.3 amps) at idle, but about 226 watts (almost 19 amps) on full load. The likelihood of you ever using that much juice on the video card is close to zero unless you are benchmarking/testing -which seems unlikley :) - but better safe than sorry so you probably need, total: at least 400 watts, and 30 amps on the 12+v. If buying a new PSU (and I really would) you want it to last a while so at least a 500 watt, 34 amp on the 12+v is my suggestion to build in decay/inefficiency safety margins. As Iscaran said above, I would look for the reliable names he mentioned. Look, you can run it with less, but you are really taking a chance, and not only will your experience be less than hoped for, you could end up ruining your components.

Final note, make SURE your new PSU will fit into the itsy bitsy space Dell probably left for your 300 watt unit, BEFORE you buy it!!!!

2b)Video
    If your limit is $100, you really can't do better than the 5670 lordmaximus and Iscaran are suggesting. I will say it because I can't help myself, but an extra $40 will get you a 5770 and about double the results, but I understand budgets, and I would really rather see you get a good PSU AND a video card if you have to choose!

Two final comments on the 5670 (or similar cards if you decide to buy one).
    I)More ram on a video card is usually good - up to a point - typically to do with larger screen sizes and resolutions, for most titles. However, I can say with some authority that there is virtually no difference in frame rate or performance between a 5670 card with 512 MB or one with a full GB at the 17in screen resolution, and only in some cases for some titles for resolutions as high as 1920x1200 (this is the resolution on my personal 24" monitor). If we are right at guessing what you are using, you have a 19 inch monitor (1440x900) that came with your Inspiron. It is doubtful the extra ram will help much at all with that screen size/resolution. And there's something else:

II)It has been the general experience both of the community at large and our users here in my office that certain issues (like larger ram levels on video cards) are actually limiting factors with the specific game Empire:Total War. This is because of technical issues that have only been partially overcome, and if your XP is a 32 bit version (usually Inspiron 530s are Vista- I assume you loaded an old xp on your own), I would be less inclined to go with the larger ram card unless you are planning on a larger monitor (or already have one -given the other unexpected items you had in your system!).

3)Newegg
    lordmaximus is absolutely right if you are in the US -buying computer components from a traditional 'brick and mortar' store like Best Buy will cost you almost double, and your selection won't be as good either. Here are a couple of Newegg links to look at where I have narrowed the search for video cards and PSU by type and the amount you might want to spend. Click around and see how easy it is, and then think about the fact that not only are the prices cheaper, but unless you live in California, you won't pay any sales tax either and the stuff shows up in about 3 to 5 days at your doorstep! I have bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them every year since 2000. Good luck! Hope to hear good news soon!

Video for $75 to $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204027&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
    PSUs $50 to $75 with up to 500 watts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014020%204026&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
    PSUs for up to $50 with up to 500 watts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014020%204025&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20
    Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,599Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    The model is a mid-tower? If that is the case, the PSU size isn't an issue? I thought there is only one size for PSUs?

Size as in physical dimensions, as opposed to wattage.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited January 2011
    To:AlJabberwock

From MD28's wife again,

Yeah, that's going to take me awhile to read through that and comprehend everything you said...but it made some sense the first time around, and as I write this I will be reading it over again and again.

I think you basically nailed it on the head except for a few points which I don't even know if they matter. But here they are anyway
    We bought the computer January 2008, Vista was just released, but Dell was still selling XP. I had heard too many negative things about Vista and my Dad (who I think is a computer genius, but is probably still pretty behind on some things) told us to go with the XP. So that's what we did, taking wisdom from our elders. So nothing has been changed on it since we purchased it. I am not sure why it is as you explained it "a very unusual mixture of items in that 530, some are too old, some are too new, and some... are too many" but that is how it was delivered to our door.
    Second, we upgraded our monitor when we bought the computer to a 22 inch. What is the recommend resolution setting for that?

Thanks for the newegg links too. We made a trip to Best Buy just to check them out....definitely dealing with salespeople who want to make money, and priced high.
    We purchased a new video card last night from newegg. Here is the link.
    Unfortunately, one of the ones that Maximus had posted was no longer available, so we went with the same brand and found one similar. (or at least I think it is similar, and it had free shipping) It should arrive Monday.

Yes, my Dad did enlighten me on the fact that our video card is on the mother board (that's how he put it to me anyway) and that is where the confusion between internal and external video cards came from earlier in this post. All my fault in misunderstanding him. Unfortunately he lives 1000 miles away from us, so he can only help out over the phone....kinda like you guys.

Yes, the PSU calculator was very confusing and we gave up.... so thanks for some more information. I am definitely, no matter what, saving all of our nice pictures and other such stuff (and the not so nice ones too) before we start adding or subtracting anything from our computer. I should have had it done already anyway.

Question, what's the best way to figure out what dimension of PSU we would need? Probably a tape measure, but just checking. It's a normal looking tower to me, I know they make some skinny ones but that's not this one.
    Next, I am slightly nervous to even mess with the PSU, because it says to have a qualified technician take it out, yada yada yada. My guess is that the warning is Dell's legal **** so that they don't get in trouble if we blow ourselves and the computer up. But, can anybody who has some common sense figure it out? (No, I won't sue you :)

Ok, I think that is it for now....I am sure when my husband gets home in about an hour, he will have some fun reading this, and who knows how many more questions.
    Thanks for the help again, we are learning a lot, so much sometimes my brain hurts.
    edited January 2011
    Your dad was right with Vista then. Vista did have a lot of bad press (even within MS itself from leaked internal memos). After service pack release(s), things got better, somewhat. XP is perfectly fine for your current setup.

What AL meant by the unusual mix refers to the way Dell tends to change system specs even for a single model name as time passes, as well as set up systems with different components that are far apart in terms performance (thus creating bottlenecks). Many gamers tend to customize systems to get the most suitable bang with a certain amount of buck.

When you bought your monitor, it should come with a manual (you can also try finding it online) which would state the optimal screen resolution.

Most modern GPU cards require a separate power plug. I'm not sure if your PSU has one spare, and one that can supply the necessary wattage. See if you can find a black 6 pin connector from your PSU (2x3 pin arrangement). Otherwise you may need something like this:

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=57724

Just don't take apart the PSU and switch off all power before disconnecting internal cables and removing, and you'd be fine.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited January 2011
    We took your advice and bought a PSU tonight from Newegg. Its a Corsair 500 W with the 34 amp on the 12+v. It has the same dimensions as our current psu. I took off the panels for the second time to do that. It also looked easy to take out and such. Just loosen four screws in the back and it should come out. Hopefully. Thankyou for the extensive post that you must have took a lot of time to do. We really appreciate all the feedback on this forum!

Also the current PSU doesnt look like it has any other plugs... so that would have been disappointing. Our current Graphics card is right on the motherboard. Should I remove the old one once our new one is in? Or does the new one disable the old?
    edited January 2011
    You can't physically remove the onboard video. When you plug in the new card, the onboard graphics is usually disabled automatically (remember to plug your monitor to the new video card instead). Otherwise, you'd need to enter the bios and disable it.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited January 2011
    Ok, and the new g card comes with a plug for my monitor then I suppose. My wife is gloating because she was right.
    edited January 2011
    Looks like Al JW has much more time to post here then I have :).

I confirm all nice explanations he said - and happy new year for all of you, now that I am back *G*.
    Iscaran

Hero.

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    @ Iscaran
    LOL, thanks for the kind comments though! Well I was off for Christmas to New Years for the college football bowls (GO IRISH! 33-17!) so I have to make up for all the hot air I have been collecting!

Hope you all had a great holiday season! (I just lost a huge post just now, so Santa paid you all a late visit! LOL)

Let me recap it as succinctly as I can...

@MD28
    I have been married for 22 years, and have determined both for public consumption and to prevent confusion, my wife is ALWAYS right. This makes the gloating thing boring after a while - so it goes away as irrelevant (LOL!).

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments, let's just touch on a few brief points to tie it up before install so there's no surprises this time or next...

1)Video Card Plugs and PCIe Slots
    Yes, your video card has the plug you need! It will usually come with a white digital plug, and/or a blue vga plug. It may have other interfaces usually for other uses than a monitor though... The new card you chose has BOTH digital and vga, so whatever you have for a cord and Monitor input should be fine. Be aware that however this will not always be the case and most new cards have digital interfaces (as will newer monitors) since the older VGA inteface (plug) is going slowly away. Make sure you have the right cable or adapters handy for whatever end may need 'em in the future! Note we also did not discuss the fact that for a new card your motherboard has to have a PCIe slot available for it to go into. Don't panic, I had already verified that the 5 (LOL, Yeah 5!!) different motherboards all used in the 530 all have a PCIe slot and its a 16x (the best interface size available so far for video cards), so thats good. However, you should know to check for that yourself in the future, and ask knowledgeable people what is the best standard for cards, their slot and make them swear they told you everything and that they are knowledgeable. Then find two more knowledgeable people and make them swear too! Heh! We have not discussed PCIe standards (not all 16x slots are created equal either!), and for the moment we'll leave off that unless you are a glutton for punishment and don't know when to quit...

2)PSUs and "Proprietary Machines"
    If you recall that Maeda and I were going on about the "PCIe" connector for your video card, and you discovered yours didn't have that, the new PSU you bought (nice one by the way) DOES. That's good because nearly every modern video card at midlevel or higher will require it - But... Guess what? Yeah, the one _you_ bought DOESN'T! Its odd, and probably one of the last ones we will ever see like that, but don't panic, because you would STILL need that new PSU because the wattage and 12v+ draws will remain unchanged for the new card. No way your old PSU would handle it without crashing, or ruining your components by 'browning them out'. Your PSU is also prepared for a more powerful card, or newer card for whatever you get or build next.

"Proprietary machines" are what we call boxes or systems made by name-brand mass-production houses like Dell. We call them that because they nearly always have specially made or configured components made to fit or work ONLY in the specific model they are in. This includes things like size, connections, types of interfaces, or physical attributes like size, fan placement, unusual opening locations, scoops, cables types and numbers and so forth. This can make regular -'consumer' components occassionally hard to use, because propietary machines use nonstandard items to make everything work/fit/comeoutfast/goinfast/be cheapest...etc. I know it seems prehistoric to use a measuring stick to figure out the physical space your old PSU is in and make sure the new one is the same size or within the "affordable limits" that your particular box will accommodate, but because EVERY proprietary box has untold surprises waiting inside for the unwary, unless you open it up and look, you won't know until its too late and you have a problem. Yeah, the screws for any PSU will usually line up just fine, but that doesn't mean they will fit, go in or come out because of other constructions or oddball scoops, heatsinks, fans and god-knows-whatall. I usually will not personally work on proprietary boxes anymore because often upgrades can lead to the need for significant modification, often more work than its worth.

Hopefully some day you guys will visit Arizona and I will show you how to build a machine for free. Swear it. Otherwise, get your elder to show you. Its empowering, rewarding, cheaper overall as well as more effective per dollar, and less complicated than some of the lego projects I have been handed by my kids this Christmas.

Oh yeah, the comments on your machine parts... You see I am aware of this machine as I have the specs and so forth as I HAVE worked on them in the past...What confused me was I know the version with the 4500 wasn't offered until 2008 so it was one of the latter ones, and yet all the info I have from Dell showed they were only making those machines with vista by that time. Further, the reference 4500 machine only had one GB of ram - What I didn't think of was that you might have ordered it direct from Dell whch would have offered you the ability to upgrade the ram straight away. You see lordmaximus was right about the 530 version he was looking at too, but that one has a discrete video card and a slower CPU - altogether, the 530 was always a lot more about what the price was than what components or capacity it had. Very confusing machine without the parts list.

As my gift to you, here is the owners manual showing (among other things) the 5 different motherboard versions Dell SAYS are in those machines. Don't be surprised if yours isn't any ONE of them (LMAO!)
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/PDF/om_en.pdf

Hope you have your hardware soon and look forward to the upgrade process (because _I'M_ not doing it!) Seriously, sounds like it should go readily enough, and I look forward to your good news!

PS... Um, that wasn't very 'succinct'! Oh well... LOL

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited January 2011
    I think my brain would short circuit if you tried to explain what the differences are in each PCIe slot. However, if I need to know then I'll ask. I've only been married for three years since December 28, so I guess I still have a little fight left in me. Or maybe a little stupid. Once again thankyou for the good advice, hopefully the hardware will be installed by this weekend. Or my proprietary machine gets the ax. If all else fails I'll duct tape the thing in there. I do after all live in Allegan County, Michigan. If you know of it, then you understand.
    edited January 2011
    LOL
    Yeah, when I was at ND, my parents had a place off the Orion road between Troy and Pontiac. I know where Allegan County is, although I don't know if I could GET there! Heh!

edited January 2011
    The Graphics card came last Thursday. The PSU came Friday. Installed them within that night and WOW! It made a huge difference. The screen looks better with everything we do. Most importantly, the game runs great. Installation was a bit of a learning process, but still fairly easy. First we installed the PSU. We figured with the graphics card not in there then there is one less thing in the way of getting the box in. Also the cables wouldn't get tangled on it. The proprietary machine lived up to its namesake. The frame of the back of the computer has a bump out into the PSU area. This was solved by taking a pliers and bending the metal right out the back. Thus we could snug the PSU right in. We then connected all the cords to the appropriate plugs and such. We turned the thing on and too my surprise it all worked! Stage one complete. Then the graphics card went in (after we unplugged the computer of course.) The only hitchup there was that I couldnt figure how I could possibly plug the 16X into the white sockets down there. No matter how I tried it wouldnt work. First of all the 16X was on the wrong side of the card! As all you smart computer geniuses know already, I had the wrong place. Just when I was at the point of dispare, my lovely wife pointed out the black plug just a little farther up the mobo. Then all went well, she plugged right in. So my wife of course gets to gloat again.
    I would like to thank all you who helped us figure this out. Your advice was much appreciated! I played the game a lot over the weekend and very little has gone wrong. Now if I can just get my cannons to stop firing on my own troops in combat. HA!
    edited January 2011
    Wow, thank you SO much for the follow up, and glad it went (relatively) well, especially considering what you had to contend with in a proprietary... It could have been MUCH worse -

DOH, if none of us geniuses told you, more or less input slots (or I/O interfaces) usually come fairly well color and/or shape coordinated -although the white for regular PCI only scheme is eroding away as PCI's slowly get replaced by PCIe's completely. PCIe-16s usually have a little tail and USUALLY are a color other than white (says Al as he glances inside his case to the right and sees BOTH a PCI and a PCIe that are white- DOH!)

Tough luck on the wifely thing... On the other hand, it IS handy that she suggested you try out the other slot - and if you got to play and see the great things a real card can do... Wasn;t it WORTH a little gloating?

Everyone on the thread who helped will be happy to hear your good news, so please, enjoy - and we'll see you online soon!

Al and the gang.

EDIT: Yeah, wait till your general goes to direct your artillery... From directly in FRONT of them ;)

edited January 2011
    Thanks for the follow up MD28. Good the hear all is working well. :D

Oh... about the cannons. A normal cannon fires in the horizontal direction. Don't put your troops in front of them :p