Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Hyper Threading?

Bulldog773Bulldog773 Senior MemberPosts: 196Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Will Shogun 2 Use Hyper Threading?
Post edited by Bulldog773 on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I do not believe this has been deifinitively confirmed or denied, but you will see in the sticky thread on GPU and CPU limits in games in this section towards the middle of the first page an interview I linked which shows the CA crew working with TBB (Threading Building Blocks).

This is Intels' tool for breaking tasks up amongst cores physical and logical. Hyperthreading is the division of a physical core's ability to handle a discrete process in to two separate 'logical cores' each handling a separate activity. As such, the graphing they appear to be doing on the screen in the video looks to me to have 8 threads. That said, it is a challege to just get all four PHYSICAL cores into action in most applications, so I am certain the idea is to use two and four first, and more if Irish eyes are smiling. ;)

Obviously time is a factor as is the use and availability of DX11 cards as DX11 has a much greater capacity to optimize multicore use and also relieve pressure from the CPU in general.

Nota Bene that this means CARDS- your system may say you have DX11, but it can say that even if you don't have the ability to use it. DX11 will accompany any of the latest drivers you may have downloaded, but that said, the main advantages that DX11 brings also require hardware architecture that does not exist on pre-DX11 cards, so you MUST have either an NVidia card from series 4xx or later, or an AMD card from series 5xxx or later.

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest