Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What Computer Were You Using 5 Years Ago?

evotucevotuc Senior MemberPosts: 983Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
And what are you using now?

This is just for fun and perspective. I'll kick it off...

5 years ago...

CPU: LGA 775 P4 3.2GHz

RAM: 2GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz

GPU: Nvidia 7600 - Burned it up, switched to ATI HD 2600XT - Toasted about 6-8 months ago

^^This computer died a little while back. Just got it working again for our youngest kids, who use it as a media player now. NEVER have I seen so much lint in a DVD drive. The tray wouldn't even open. I had to fix the hard drive also. Now I am just nursing it at its bedside. Nostalgia...

Current...

CPU: AM3 Phenom II x4 @ 2.6GHz

RAM: 4GB GSkill DDR2 800MHz

GPU: XFX HD 4890

2% Club
FX 8350
Sabertooth 990FX
8GB 1600 RAM
AMD 7950
How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
Post edited by evotuc on

Comments

• KurtenKurten Senior Member Posts: 217Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    5 Years ago:
    CPU: Some intel pentium 4 processor, single core with like 3GHz or something (Still working! :D)
    RAM: 1GB DDR2 i think, not sure on frequency (Also still works! :D)
    HDD: 2x 250GB IDE drives, must have been 5400RPM (fried)
    GFX: Nvidia 6600, unsure about specs. (fried)

R.I.P

As you can see i never spent time learning to understand the beautiful technology in the computer 5 years ago. I still got the shell of that computer in my room, just as a reminder to always keep the computer clean of dust. Today however it is different.

Current
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @3.2 GHz
    RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333 MHz
    HDD: 1x SATA II 320 GB 7200RPM && 1x SATA II 1000GB 7200RPM
    GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5850

:D
    [PORTABLE-ID]kurten[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Kurten wrote: »
    5 Years ago:
    CPU: Some intel pentium 4 processor, single core with like 3GHz or something (Still working! :D)
    RAM: 1GB DDR2 i think, not sure on frequency (Also still works! :D)
    HDD: 2x 250GB IDE drives, must have been 5400RPM (fried)
    GFX: Nvidia 6600, unsure about specs. (fried)

R.I.P

As you can see i never spent time learning to understand the beautiful technology in the computer 5 years ago. I still got the shell of that computer in my room, just as a reminder to always keep the computer clean of dust. Today however it is different.

Current
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @3.2 GHz
    RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333 MHz
    HDD: 1x SATA II 320 GB 7200RPM && 1x SATA II 1000GB 7200RPM
    GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5850

:D

Nice. How do you like the 1090? I am about to put another build together. I have chosen the 1055 because it can get to about 4GHz.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Desktop
    CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3.00
    RAM: 256MB + 128MB (384MB) DDR2
    GPU: Don't remember what it was, it had 128MB VRAM and was from Nvidia by MSI.
    HDD: 64GB

Laptop (HP)
    CPU: Celeron @ 2.4
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    GPU: Built in
    HDD: 128GB
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    5 years ago:

AMD XP 3000+
    512MB RAM (because I had troubles running 3x512 due to a latency mismatch with mainboard)
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Win2k

The system was running with a GPU updates (to a HD4670, because the 9800 died in service) until last month, when probably my mainboard or CPU died...currently investigating :).
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • KurtenKurten Senior Member Posts: 217Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    evotuc wrote: »
    Nice. How do you like the 1090? I am about to put another build together. I have chosen the 1055 because it can get to about 4GHz.

I ran a Athlon II x2 245 before i got the 1090, the difference is huge! I love my 1090, best CPU i had!

The difference was so large between the two cpu's that i actually thought winrar crashed because it executed and completed so fast XD

I hear the 1055 is easy to OC so i think you are doing the right choice in getting one :D
    [PORTABLE-ID]kurten[/PORTABLE-ID]
    edited January 2011
    Dark Side wrote: »
    Desktop
    CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3.00
    RAM: 256MB + 128MB (384MB) DDR2
    GPU: Don't remember what it was, it had 128MB VRAM and was from Nvidia by MSI.
    HDD: 64GB

Laptop (HP)
    CPU: Celeron @ 2.4
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    GPU: Built in
    HDD: 128GB

It's great how hard drives have gotten so much bigger. Your laptop has twice as much as your old desktop...:)
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    edited January 2011
    Iscaran wrote: »
    5 years ago:

AMD XP 3000+
    512MB RAM (because I had troubles running 3x512 due to a latency mismatch with mainboard)
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Win2k

The system was running with a GPU updates (to a HD4670, because the 9800 died in service) until last month, when probably my mainboard or CPU died...currently investigating :).

You have another computer, or I am mistaken, with a 4850. Did you sell that before your move?
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    LOL. Fun thread Eric.

Yeah I had to research this to see what I was doing
    I had the 2k build still as my main machine in '05-'06 (it is STILL functioning, and is to my immediate left as a mute and living technology museum-scary)... and had just built a gaming rig as an experiment at the end of '05, beginning of '06 (that machine is also still functioning, although we had to replace the BFG 7900GTX OC [sniff,sob] this year.

5 years ago
    Main machine: Built in 2000
    CPU: Athlon (Thunderbird) 1.4ghz (single core)

RAM: 512MB of cutting-edge DDR 266 (yes, that would be DDR1- LOL)

GPU: Originally an NVidia GE Force 2MX, it was upgraded through a 4 MX and then various 5xxx NVidia cards and today has some version of a 5500 (I think I had about 5 of these cards floating around as machines began mysteriously multiplying in my office and closets around this time...)

OS: Win2k Pro (currently has XP Pro) Nota bene, this machine could play Shogun 1 and DID! Today, I am afraid to let it lest it suffer a coronary or break a hip joint.

Mobo: included for a laugh --> Epox 8K7A (don't think you'll find too many of those around-I have the box in my hand as I write this)- Had a whopping 4x AGP slot and max 1g of PC 2100 Ram. I have it running also today so I could look at the CPU rating.

The Experimental Rig : From my Newegg Records 05-06 (still currently running -#2 Son's game/test rig)

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800 (2ghz) - Later upgraded to a 3.2 ghz version

Ram: 2GB Corsair DDR2 800 (Later upgraded to 4g of the same)

GPU: Briefly had a 6600 scrounged from elsewhere, but was so hapless it was replaced with the BFG 7900GTXOC on release in early 2006. This was replaced in early 2010 with a BFG 260GTX Maxcore Super OC.

Mobo: This had the first, and at the time, ONLY quad sli commercially available when it was purchased. The Foxconn C52XEM2AA. I have to say although our intent was to put it through its paces, the advent of the 7900GTX in March made it pontless as that card was never seriously tested until much more advanced technology had surpassed the board. This board remains in service.

Currently: Game/test rig - From memory, Built primarily in 2009
    CPU: i7 920

Ram: 6g Corsair Dmntr DDR3 1600 (triple channel)

GPU: BFG 285GTX OC

MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    (This system is liquid cooled in a single loop for CPU/GPU through a 4 x 120mm double thickness, double pass rad with 4 hi-speed Scythe 120mm fans nearby and outside the case (when I am not venting CO2 vapor through it out the window to freak out the neighbors).

Planned purchases include DX11, SLI/CF versions. Nothing has been stressed by anything I have used it for yet, but we are thinking of adding additional monitors (currently 1 24" at 1920x1200).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    Dont have a minim idea about that ...
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    @evo:

Yes my current system is a X2 5400+ with a HD4850 and 4GB RAM running Win7 - I kept the other (old) one as my TV computer for DVD and video playback in the living room.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • AlexandroAlexandro Senior Member Zu Lai Temple againPosts: 1,404Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Model:Frankestein (mounted on my house):)
    Motherboard: ecs (I dont remember the model)
    else: almost the same as aljabberwock, except gpu geforce mx 4(128vram?. i dont remember :O)

sent to charity.

Current:

laptop:

philco phn15008:
    15.6" led
    with undervolting(80%)
    setting cooler via equus

ati mobility 4650 512vram
    320gb hd @ 5400rpm
    4gb 667mhz

possible update:

4gb 800mhz corsair (already purchased)
    hd 500gb xt momentus hybrid (budgeted)
    CPU: P9600 tdp 35w (searching)
    Currently run Napoleon without aa, to me is enough:)
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Former (retired only 2 months ago), Prometheus
    CPU: Intel P4 3.0GHz (Socket 478, still works )
    Mobo: Asus P4S8X (spa.r.s.e and random BSODs that finally got my goat in Nov 2010)
    RAM: Kingston 1GB DDR2 (still works)
    GPU: ATI Radeon 9200 (still works, > 5 years)
    HDD: Western Digital 80GB (dead after 3 years!!!! :() + Samsung 80GB (still works)
    Optical: Sony OEM CDRW (still works) + Sony OEM CDROM (still works, except for the force required to activate the eject button)
    PSU: 350W Black Cube PSU (suspect condition)
    Casing: Generic steel casing (which first housed a P4 1.4GHz in 2002! Rusting with warped side panels, t.o.s.sing very soon)
    Monitor: Samsumg SyncMaster 753DF CRT (died after ~5 years of service since 2002)

Replacement (less than 2 months old), Prometheus (again)
    CPU: AMD PII X4 955BE (currently not overclocked)
    Mobo: MSI 870A G54 (somehow, I seem to feel that the Southbridge is faulty... No more MSI!!!)
    RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3
    GPU: Free 2nd hand red HD 3870 (to be replaced with 6850/6870 latest by Shogun 2's release, preferably with a blue theme)
    HDD: Samsum F3 1TB
    Optical: Sony OEM CDRW (IDE and recycled) + LG DVDRW (recycled, slightly aged)
    PSU: Seasonic M12 II 520W
    Casing: 3R R120 V2SE (got it real cheap yesterday but detest the red displays which clash with the blue on the mobo)
    Monitor: Samsumg SyncMaster 931BF LCD (more than 3 years old and not widescreen...)

Future purchases:
    HD 6850/6870/6950, depending on local prices.
    1 or 2 more 120mm casing fans
    CM Hyper 212+ cooler, just to reduce noise level of the stock HSF
    2x2/2x4GB RAM, >1 year from now
    PII X6 (may be >2 from now, if software can really utilize the cores)
    21-23" LCD/LED widescreen (when the current monitor kicks the bucket)
    Win7 (prefer Professional but price is somewhat a put off)
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    5 years ago

AMD 2Ghz (I forget the form factor)
    RAM - 1GB DDR2 667mhz
    Video - Nvidia 128mb low end card
    windows XP
    I spent £750 and paid for everything myself when I was around 14, then just added what I could when I could afford it. It was never much, but it got me by in the games I wanted to play. Finally, when it could no longer handle Rome on low unit sizes and graphics, I stopped playing PC games for a couple of years and fell out of the loop completely.

2 years ago when walking through a HMV, I spotted what I thought must be a dream. Empire total war???!! I went home and ordered this machine I have now.

CPU- Intel E8400 Dual core 3Ghz @ 6mb lvl 2 cache
    RAM - 6GB DDR2 @ 800mhz
    GPU- Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512mb
    Windows 7 64b

Looking to get a new computer at the end of the year.
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Ok, LMAAAO @ Alex and Maeda those both cracked me right up.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest