Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Getting Started on an Iceni Campaign?

HeskeyHeskey Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 107
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
Hi all,

When the game is patched a bit more, I'll probably make my first proper campaign (above 10 turns!) on the Iceni on Legendary difficulty. Just wondering what you chaps advise when you're starting off with them.

For instance, should you outright conquer the British Isles, or should you seek to confederate where possible.

Should you advance into Europe and maintain good relations with the other Britannic celts until such a time as they peacefully accept confederacy because of your size?

Should you make grand allies to reduce the corruption tax modifier whilst maintaining your victory province count, or should you vassalise everyone you come across? Or occupy their lands for your own?

Is there any difference other than your faction name and colour if you confederate, besides the possibility of getting their goods at the time.

I.E. 15 turns into the campaign, whether you conquered or confederated the British Isles, you'll still 100% own all the territories, correct?

How important is it to own every region in your first province, and not allowing yourself to ally with Iska (I think it's called)?

General battle tactics as well?

----

General game questions:

When you build a building that gives +experience to units recruited... Is that global, provincial, or regional? E.g. If you produce troops in (what is) London, and the +experience buildings are in (what is) York, will those units get the benefits of that building, or must you go North and retrain?

Throw me everything you've got on the Iceni!
Total War Battles: KINGDOM Lord name - Hesketh
Post edited by Heskey on

Comments

• DEADLY9996DEADLY9996 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,600
    edited September 2013
    Your playing on Lengendary so i wouldn't want to make it too easy for you. So i'm keeping my secrets :p
    Say what?
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläRegistered Users Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2013
    It`s a fun campaign,this is what i did in my current legendary playthrough :

- In my opinion you should rush and conquer the isles ASAP,build up a strong strong economy based on agriculture ( rank 2 cattle along with temple of cernunnos and the rank 3 upgrade ,speaking purely of early game,along with other agricultural increase buildings and character traits filled my Celtic coffers greatly in the campaign.

You don`t have to worry about more food from generic farming in the early game,it`s crucial,but you recieve enough from the port stuff and the cattle pens,they`ll net you great money early AND later on,and if you`re a creative cattle breeder,you can offset any possible food shortcomings).

Rush the Demetae and Dumnonii on the same turn,you can conquer both by turn two or three,you have got two decent armies- use your scout agent wisely to posion and assasinate,it`s a great asset.

You can try confederating,albeit it is a bit random at occurance-for example,if you`re having good relations,maybe then you won`t get them to accept. I`ve had the Brigantes and Caledones accept confederation,and i have given them nothing but big,hard rooster,and they`ve had bigger armies than me- they accepted by some in-game miracle,and i had 2 full stacks transfered to my armies ( on legendary).

When you confederate,the only thing that changes is the name- you become the British confederation. The emblem stays the same,and any left-over other faction generals usually end up into your political party.The faction symbol depends on the original faction that forces the other to confederate- if the Brigantes would initiate the confederation,the confederation would have the awkward horse mask funny face thing as the faction symbol.

After unifying the isles,i sent a couple of stacks into different directions - one made a base in Iberia,then i conquered Africa for a **** ton of money,and sacked around the Mediterranean,while the other conquered all the areas on the Baltic,and the Gaulish coast. Once i bother continuing the campaign,it`s Arabia and the east time baby.

One last thing,never forget your agents ! Especially the champion,golden chevron top tier Celtic units are...rather deadly(9996) :)

Hope this helped,poke me if you want me to go into more depth,i`ll be writing an Iceni guide at some point.
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team Beastmen

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

Coming back on track with dem uploadz soon !
  • RoflwaffleauthoritahRoflwaffleauthoritah Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 144
    edited September 2013
    Just be a warrior and conquer everyone, especially Britain. Conquering Britain and most of gaul means that Britain will be tucked away and would be a very safe place.
  • anubis4567anubis4567 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 500
    edited September 2013
    Conquer the Island, you can use it as a base of power. Get a moderately strong navy and you're untouchable, and safe to make invasions into the mainland as you please.
    "The so called negative feedback is often love in disguise. Take full advantage''
  • EaglePhoenixEaglePhoenix Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,270
    edited September 2013
    I thought to be a turtle, trade/have treaties with dumnonnii and fight the war with Demetae.. only the Demetae weren't so easily giving up but I got the city without too much hassle after all.
    Then the nemeteneneneneeisssisis (no idea how to spell it) declare war and the brits above me as well. I ask dumnonnii to fight the nnene's down below, which they accepted (but didn't do anything regardless of their high stack army standing idle).

The brits destroyed my army coming from Demetae, they also destroyed my army coming from my starters city (they're pretty smart, had 3 army's, moved them all close before issuing an attack and thus ensuring they have reinforcements).

I think I'm losing this campaign. It's great :D.. i think.
    Team Empire!..and also tiny lil bit VC - but shhh
  • dorpendorpen Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 501
    edited September 2013
    Just a side note as the Iceni you can't confederate the mainland Celtic tribes for some reason, so you'll have to conquer them if you want the land.
  • HeskeyHeskey Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 107
    edited September 2013
    dorpen wrote: »
    Just a side note as the Iceni you can't confederate the mainland Celtic tribes for some reason, so you'll have to conquer them if you want the land.

It's because they're not of your blood; only the tribes on the Brit Isles can be confederated.
    Total War Battles: KINGDOM Lord name - Hesketh
  • KotliKotli Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 132
    edited September 2013
    You can Confederate Ireland if you wish.
  • dorpendorpen Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 501
    edited September 2013
    Heskey wrote: »
    It's because they're not of your blood; only the tribes on the Brit Isles can be confederated.

That's what I mean. Personally I think since they have a fairly close religion and government system that they should have the option to confederate them.
  • Greasy DaveGreasy Dave Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 267
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, it's easy once you take the isles. and taking them isn't that hard when they AI jumps out of its cities and runs away. I beelined chainmail. It takes about 13-15 turns (can't remember exactly), and then it's game over for the rest of the world - unless the patches do something serious about AI teching and unit builds.

Recruit one fleet and send it South into the med - meet everybody you can. It doesn't cost much to get trade routes going, 500 gold max, mostly. The trade makes me my money, and a series of non-aggression pacts buffering my gradual expansion.

I haven't teched any economic techs. Just the druidic stuff and the military necessary to get heavy cav. Now I'm pushing for the final "heroic" units.

Don't bother with chariots, there a big let down. In my battles they don't skirmish well - and they melee even worse - they charge like tricycles with broken axles. (Maybe I'm being harsh - the battle AI is pretty swift in getting spear units into any slowed horse units it can at Legendary).

I've just taken Rome and I have to admit, I'm getting a little bored. The campaign is ridiculously long. The AI just doesn't offer any challenge. It's all gotten a bit meh. I'm going to be getting heroic bands in twelve turns, so I'm holding out so I can see what they look like. Then I'll retire.
  • FindusFindus Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Yep agree with Greasy Dave chariots are a great disapointment. I went for a Confedertion with the Scottish city ( being a scot I never had the heart). Basically wandered through france and spain with not too much excitement for legendary mode. Good use of spies helps a lot to foresee any problems. Got an imperium message and 2 turns later a civil war which produced about 8-9 full stacks of armies. My 3 armies were scattered to the south so it was good fun leggin it back and sorting out the mess. By that time the Iceni council had taken all of the british isles and lumps of northern France. Best tactic to avoid losing so many settlements ( if of course you have the loot and the capacity for raising a force) is to raise an army of 1 general and buy some mercenaries. You can do this in one turn . Place it in one of your garrison towns where you are a bit weak. It is often enough to tip the balance in your favour when a settlement gets attacked. Disband the mercenaries as soon as you have the chance.
  • WarpigWarpig Member Registered Users Posts: 50
    edited September 2013
    Just storm Hibernia and Britain as quick as poss. Build six armies then turn all your buildings into temples and farms. Leave one army to guard both provinces, then head off for Egypt where the grain is. Might as well, no one's gonna stop you. I've been rampaging through the Middle East on my legendary Iceni campaign doing 90% auto-resolves, and meeting almost no resistance. I'd play more battles if it didn't cause the game to crash....
  • LancelotOCTLancelotOCT Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 137
    edited September 2013
    Grab the wood and iron resource right away so you get the unit recruitement discounts and more money from trade agreements. :D
  • DrexelUKDrexelUK Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    It`s a fun campaign,this is what i did in my current legendary playthrough :

- In my opinion you should rush and conquer the isles ASAP,build up a strong strong economy based on agriculture ( rank 2 cattle along with temple of cernunnos and the rank 3 upgrade ,speaking purely of early game,along with other agricultural increase buildings and character traits filled my Celtic coffers greatly in the campaign.

I don't believe this works in terms of economy - Cattle Pen income is Livestock not Agriculture - hence the Temple of Cernunos has no effect on it - sadly.
  • vercinixvercinix Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    It's actually not so easy after patch 1.7.
    I did legendary with Arverni which is perhaps the hardest and found it to be very easy, so quite disappointing, but with the last patches the AI got more aggressive. Conquering Britain with Iceni is not really piece of cake. If you are really good (and lucky) you might perhaps storm two of the five factions of Britain in the early turns but when you get back your stacks you find out that the other three factions are unfriendly and have two stacked armies. What follows is a cat and mouse game, often like chess, calculating your every move and trying to outsmart and outnumber the other factions. I eliminated all within 50 turns or so but wasn't easy. With the current level of difficulty Iceni might be easier than others once you have a solid foothold because Britain keeps you relatively safe and you can build up your strength and prepare your move on the continent. But the initial 30-50 turns are perhaps the hardest because all British factions are going to be against you and you'll be their only focus, whereas on the continent they might move freely in other directions.
    P.S. I played like 10 campaigns so far with non-Roman factions and Rome never made it. WTF...I found a bunch of barbarians in Italy every time