Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

next purchase

t52ndt52nd Junior MemberPosts: 8Registered Users
edited January 2011 in New Players
Hi all,

I've been playing medieval 2 for some time now, and I'm looking to buy a new total war game. I hoped that you guys could give me some advice.
Now here are my choices: Empire, Napoleon or shogun 2

i like the first two mainly because of the time period they are set in, but I have some questions about napoleon. is there a campaign option where you can just play like the previous games? (by this I mean a regular campaign, just factions and a world map.) I couldn't find a clear answer somewhere else.

so what would you choose? napoleon? empire? or wait for shogun 2 to come out?
(and more importantly, why?)
Post edited by t52nd on

Comments

• BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    There are a number of Campaigns in NTW. The first is the Italian Campaign which is a sort of tutorial where you play as Napoleon on a map of Northern Italy. Then there is the Egypt Campaign, another slightly longer tutorial type campaign where you play as Napoleon on a map of Egypt and the Near East. Then there is the Grand Campaign which is playing as Napoleon on a map of Europe.
    On top of that there is the Coalition Campaign where you play as either GB, or Prussia, or Austria or Russia on a map of Europe.
    There is also a DLC Peninsular Campaign where you can play as France, Spain or GB on a more detailed map of Spain, Portugal and SW France.
    Personally, if I were to have to chose between them (I don't because I already have the first two so my next purchase is obvious) I would go for Empire. Main reason is the scope of the game - it's set over three theatres and has more naval combat opportunities than NTW. Having said that it is also the weakest of the three technically, and graphically, and is more prone to bugs/breakdowns.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,876Registered Users, Moderators
    edited January 2011
    My sentiments exactly.

Also it seems that you won't have problems with the question of melee versus gunpowder. ETW (and NTW) does differ from the M2TW style of battling so much that it has turned away some TW fans who favor melee.
  • LeckanLeckan Senior Member Posts: 798Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I agree with ETW over NTW, but I believe Shogun 2 has a lot of potential aswell. If there comes a Shogun 2 demo you should try that out. I remember playing the ETW and NTW demo, there we see that the NTW gameplay is better in battles, but on the campaign map NTW can't compare to NTW.

Note, I haven't got the whole NTW game. *sadface*
    In a thread about the 21st of may "rapture"
    "Good job it didn't happen really because I'm still watching the last season of Married with Children and I'd hate to not know what happens in the last episode." - Shireknight
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,872Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I wasn't meaning to ignore Shogun 2 - it's just that as it has not been released yet it's not easy to comment.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • vaptinvaptin Senior Member Posts: 752Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    If it's only one out of the three, I'd wait until Shogun II, unless the big world style campaign map that you get in ETW is a major draw, Napoleon is a lot more "locally focussed", less diverse than Mtw2 in terms of faction styles, I think Shogun II might be like that, although I haven't been closely following press releases and things for it, or know much about the time period.
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Get the gold edition pack that contains both Empire and Napoleon together. Just play Empire first, then move on to Napoleon.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,178Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Or just buy Both the gold edition (Empire / Napoleon + all DLC) and shogun 2 :o
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • t52ndt52nd Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    I think i'm going to wait for shogun II and decide then.
    And i'll keep an eye out for a good deal on empire :p