Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Roman Auxiliaries Guide

Comments

• Siven80Siven80 Senior Member Posts: 478Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Awesome guide.

But it is sad that this info isnt displayed in the game/encyclopedia.
  • Cracked shieldCracked shield Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I would like to have auxiliaries in my army but I really do prefer to stay 100% roman units only :( plus its very tedious sending your general around the map recruiting these units :(
  • GrudgeNLGrudgeNL Senior Member Posts: 7,082Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited September 2013
    Awesome guide. Thanks!
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • DP1982SKDP1982SK Senior Member Posts: 719Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Siven80 wrote: »
    Awesome guide.

But it is sad that this info isnt displayed in the game/encyclopedia.

It actually is......
  • Siven80Siven80 Senior Member Posts: 478Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    DP1982SK wrote: »
    It actually is......

Not in an easily found and read location and display.
  • djvdjv Senior Member Posts: 279Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Tomice wrote: »
    @djv: Maybe you want to add such info to the initial posts? It would make your guide even more useful IMHO.

Done
  • DP1982SKDP1982SK Senior Member Posts: 719Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Siven80 wrote: »
    Not in an easily found and read location and display.

you said it isn't displayed, that implies it is not there at all... it is there, although you need to commit some time to read that part of encyclopedia.
  • TomiceTomice Senior Member Posts: 302Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    djv wrote: »
    Done

Awesome! Now it's definitively a 5-star guide! :-)
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    I kinda feel like the total war siege AI is taking revenge on my for abusing it for 10+years :(
  • MechanicalTurkMechanicalTurk Senior Member Posts: 601Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Fantastic work, Thank you.
  • SashimigSashimig Senior Member Posts: 2,834Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thx a lot for such an amazing job and thread.

Can someone tell me what the best auxiliary archers and slingers are? Are they up to the regular from other factions?
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides
  • nosscirenosscire Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Awesome work mate!

For someone who is completely **** with names, I figured this will be easier to visualize if added to a map.
    As such I decided to make it into a semi-interactive map. Didn't quite have time to finish it before going to work this morning, but will finish and post it tonight.
    Just writing here now if anyone else was planning on doing the same, so that we can avoid doing double work :)
  • Marcus OctaviusMarcus Octavius Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    I love the Roman Auxiliary system.
    Separate barracks chain for auxiliaries is a great idea and a staggeringly huge variety of units available. I can build a semi-historical alea legions with Socii troops alongside my Manipular legions then use realistic foreign auxiliaries to fight alongside my Roman heavy infantry post Marian reforms.

If you want the best auxiliaries you need to plan ahead to conquer regions with the most valuable auxiliaries available. This adds a lot of depth to the campaign. It could have been even better with some kind of manpower system limiting Roman troops and forcing the use of auxiliaries but overall the auxiliary system is bloody brilliant.

Working out which region the different auxiliaries are available is however a huge pain.
    So I made this guide.

Outstanding work Djv!!!!! I had no idea that the Roman Auxiliary system was so large with all those different troop types available to you. again kudos for this guide STICKY THIS!
    edited September 2013
    nosscire wrote: »
    Awesome work mate!

For someone who is completely **** with names, I figured this will be easier to visualize if added to a map.
    As such I decided to make it into a semi-interactive map. Didn't quite have time to finish it before going to work this morning, but will finish and post it tonight.
    Just writing here now if anyone else was planning on doing the same, so that we can avoid doing double work :)

Sounds great. I'll put a link in the the OP.
    edited September 2013
    Sashimig wrote: »

Can someone tell me what the best auxiliary archers and slingers are? Are they up to the regular from other factions?

Yes they are identical to the regular from other factions.

Singers:

Iberian Slingers are bugged. They have the attributes of javelins so avoid.
    The remaining three auxiliary slinger units are some of the best slingers in the game.

Briton singers are the cheapest option of the three and you only need a level II auxiliary building.
    They are the best barbarian slingers available, reloading significantly faster than Celtic and Germanic counterparts.

Balearic Slingers are outstanding and will obliterate the opposition in a skirmish.
    I recommend using these, just as Rome recruited all its slingers from the Balearic isles historically.

Rhodian Slingers are even better, undisputed best slingers in the world.
    If you want the best go for it but probably an unnecessary luxury when Balearic slingers are already so good.

Archers:

Egyptian, Sabaean and Dacian archers are all cheap entry level archers.
    There is nothing to separate them except the Egyptians and Sabaeans are resistant to heat.

Longbow Hunters pack a serious punch and are significantly better than the other level II archers.
    Persian archers are also very good, on par with Longbow Hunters.

The next step up is Syrian archers who have a faster reload rate and are are armoured so will win a shoot out with anyone and Cretans are the best archers in the game but do not benefit from armour.
  • oliverdonkeyoliverdonkey Member Posts: 46Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This list is brilliant. Glad to see its gone in the guide of guides. Looking forward to nooscires map as well. Shame I've just quit my Roman campaign, I got bored of sweeping through Europe with little resistance, but this list means that when the AI finalised I'll be able to conquer as Rome again, but with more varied armies.
  • SashimigSashimig Senior Member Posts: 2,834Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    @ djv thx for the answer I know what territory to target.now :-D
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides
  • dr.randomdr.random Senior Member Posts: 334Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Nvm, already covered in thread.
  • JooKooJooKoo Senior Member Posts: 218Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Elephants

Auxiliary African Elephants [III]
    -Aethiopia
    -Libya
    -Phazania

Auxiliary Indian War Elephants [IV]

-Bactria
    -Arachosia
    -Aria
    -Gedrosia

Dogs

War Dogs [II]

-All regions

EDIT: Nvm, missed the libyan province
    So does all this apply region-wise or province-wise?
    edited September 2013
    Any region in the province, unless otherwise stated.
  • nosscirenosscire Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Hey guys, here's the map as promised:

http://tallmyr.se/rome2

I ran out of colors for the Melee Cavalry one, so that one got a bit messy :\

This is a very basic map. I'm considering making it a bit more advanced, with mouse over info etc, but that would take me much longer then this did, so if that is of interest give me a shout. I won't waste the hours if no one feels they need it.

Note to CA/SEGA: Map borrowed from the official total war page. I hope this is alright, if not give me a shout and i'll remove the design and make it a plain map.
    edited September 2013
    Great work nosscire. I linked it in the OP.
  • WintermistWintermist Senior Member SwedenPosts: 4,871Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    nosscire wrote: »
    Hey guys, here's the map as promised:

http://tallmyr.se/rome2

I ran out of colors for the Melee Cavalry one, so that one got a bit messy :\

This is a very basic map. I'm considering making it a bit more advanced, with mouse over info etc, but that would take me much longer then this did, so if that is of interest give me a shout. I won't waste the hours if no one feels they need it.

Note to CA/SEGA: Map borrowed from the official total war page. I hope this is alright, if not give me a shout and i'll remove the design and make it a plain map.

That's brilliant! Thanks you too!
    My DirectX Diag: DxDiag.txt
  • illapaillapa Member Posts: 45Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    That's awesome. Can we get something similar for mercenaries too for those of us who play non roman factions?
    edited September 2013
    illapa wrote: »
    That's awesome. Can we get something similar for mercenaries too for those of us who play non roman factions?

The official Rome II Campaign Planner already covers this, just hover the mouse of a region and it will tell you which mercenaries are available.
  • RhykaelRhykael Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    This is awesome. Thank you!
  • MumbolianMumbolian Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Yes they are identical to the regular from other factions.

Singers:

Iberian Slingers are bugged. They have the attributes of javelins so avoid.
    The remaining three auxiliary slinger units are some of the best slingers in the game.

Briton singers are the cheapest option of the three and you only need a level II auxiliary building.
    They are the best barbarian slingers available, reloading significantly faster than Celtic and Germanic counterparts.

Balearic Slingers are outstanding and will obliterate the opposition in a skirmish.
    I recommend using these, just as Rome recruited all its slingers from the Balearic isles historically.

Rhodian Slingers are even better, undisputed best slingers in the world.
    If you want the best go for it but probably an unnecessary luxury when Balearic slingers are already so good.

Archers:

Egyptian, Sabaean and Dacian archers are all cheap entry level archers.
    There is nothing to separate them except the Egyptians and Sabaeans are resistant to heat.

Longbow Hunters pack a serious punch and are significantly better than the other level II archers.
    Persian archers are also very good, on par with Longbow Hunters.

The next step up is Syrian archers who have a faster reload rate and are are armoured so will win a shoot out with anyone and Cretans are the best archers in the game but do not benefit from armour.

More of this kind of information would be awesome
    Roman Auxiliaries Guide

nosscire has created an interactive map to display this information. It's pretty awesome.
    To access just click here.

Preview of nosscire's interactive auxiliary map:
    This is fantastic!
  • TomiceTomice Senior Member Posts: 302Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thx again, both for the map and the archer/slinger info! Awesome work!
    Sjiriki wrote: »
    I kinda feel like the total war siege AI is taking revenge on my for abusing it for 10+years :(
  • zeock9zeock9 Senior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Thank you very much,

it's wonderful to see a thread that is actually helpful for a change in this forum.
  • Man o' WarMan o' War Senior Member Posts: 974Registered Users
    edited September 2013