Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

how can I force my opponent to attack?

AudaxAudax Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 708
edited September 2013 in Total War Eras Multiplayer
Hi, i never won a multyplayer battle on rome, medieval and rome 2 because im always forced to attack the enemy.

Can anyone share some tips for make the camping strategy not convenient and force my enemy to face me in an open battle?

i tried:

Skirmishers, but the enemy has always some advantage (even if i have some elite skirmishers against levies etc).
Cavalry: same they always have better or more cavalry than me.
Artyllery: is not allowed in most of the battles and is not fair
Elephats: they are not allowed in most of the battles.

im such a bad general XD
Nec recisa recedit
Post edited by Audax on

Comments

• fugglesfuggles Member Registered Users Posts: 34
    edited September 2013
    If you want to force your opponent to attack you, meaning they bring the main body (infantry) to attack yours, then you generally need to outskirmish and not yield control of the field. For you that means two things usually: ranged units and cavalry.

If your opponent has you beat completely in both those areas then you must attack, you have no choice unless you literally camp and allow yourself to get shot to death.

Bear in mind that if you stack your cav and ranged units to gain complete superiority from the onset, then it probably means you shortchanged your infantry.
  • DudeStu1DudeStu1 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 317
    edited September 2013
    Artillary is a great motivator ;)

Also if your opponent just sits and waits for you, he "in consequence" gives all the initiative to you ;)

think bout that!!
  • HarbaHarba Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 256
    edited September 2013
    i tried:

Skirmishers, but the enemy has always some advantage (even if i have some elite skirmishers against levies etc).
    Cavalry: same they always have better or more cavalry than me.
    Artyllery: is not allowed in most of the battles and is not fair
    Elephats: they are not allowed in most of the battles.

Waitwut?

If you want to force the enemy to attack you bring more missiles than he did. Cavalry can rarely force an attack from the enemy.. I also don't see how elephants can entice an attack from your opponent.. Artillery is just lame and can even make the enemy camp far away from you, outside the range of your artillery.
  • ViivrabeViivrabe Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 434
    edited September 2013
    singers have superior range, if the enemy archers move foreword pull your singers back farther (you can usually get 2 vollies off before archers can shoot 1, so after the second pull back immediately)

archers are jacks-of-all-trades. they get out skirmished by slings, and kills less per volley then javelins, but make a good middle ground.

if you manage to kill all of an enemies ranged units, get real close with what you have. max range has less accuracy and damage than close range, so if your ranged units are closer they kill more.

also you want all of your ranged units to aim at one enemy.
    if you focus fire on one of his ranged units that units DPS drops to nothing very fast while yours each take a tiny hit, then (assuming 3v3 with same units) its a 2.5 v 2.9, then 2 v 2.8 then 1.5 v 2.6 etc.

if you have the ranged advantage. flank with your missiles (make sure the enemy cav is taken care of or you ranged units have support)

a volley of stones (or arrows or javelins) from the side with no shield (right or rear) is 200% more effective than the same volley from the front, and those vollis are more effective than the most powerful infantry as you loose no men.
    then when they are wavering hit them with your men.

when i say flank with them i mean either tie them down so they cant turn, or put 1 ranged unit in front (not fireing), one to its left shooting and if possible one to the rear, that way if he turns to face the incoming projectiles to make the most of his shields, then just have the other unit begun firing while turning off the first. repeat until out of ammo.

if hes not ret**ded and tries to attack, then you got exactly what you wanted from this thread, congratulations

i bring 3 slingers and 3 javelin throwers each match. and i dont even have access to archers at all or good singers, but i say they are worth bringing

end of battle kill scores are not the only way a unit can earn its value, hp drops do not equal kills for the ranged units, but that means when melee starts your men will have less "healthy" enemies to fight so kills will technically be faster
    Point is, there is a reason that the ESRB does not rate online [play].

A Knight in shining armor is a knight who has never had his metal truly tested.
  • QuigleyerQuigleyer Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,339
    edited September 2013
    Viivrabe wrote: »
    singers have superior range, if the enemy archers move foreword pull your singers back farther (you can usually get 2 vollies off before archers can shoot 1, so after the second pull back immediately)

archers are jacks-of-all-trades. they get out skirmished by slings, and kills less per volley then javelins, but make a good middle ground.

if you manage to kill all of an enemies ranged units, get real close with what you have. max range has less accuracy and damage than close range, so if your ranged units are closer they kill more.

also you want all of your ranged units to aim at one enemy.
    if you focus fire on one of his ranged units that units DPS drops to nothing very fast while yours each take a tiny hit, then (assuming 3v3 with same units) its a 2.5 v 2.9, then 2 v 2.8 then 1.5 v 2.6 etc.

if you have the ranged advantage. flank with your missiles (make sure the enemy cav is taken care of or you ranged units have support)

a volley of stones (or arrows or javelins) from the side with no shield (right or rear) is 200% more effective than the same volley from the front, and those vollis are more effective than the most powerful infantry as you loose no men.
    then when they are wavering hit them with your men.

when i say flank with them i mean either tie them down so they cant turn, or put 1 ranged unit in front (not fireing), one to its left shooting and if possible one to the rear, that way if he turns to face the incoming projectiles to make the most of his shields, then just have the other unit begun firing while turning off the first. repeat until out of ammo.

if hes not ret**ded and tries to attack, then you got exactly what you wanted from this thread, congratulations

i bring 3 slingers and 3 javelin throwers each match. and i dont even have access to archers at all or good singers, but i say they are worth bringing

end of battle kill scores are not the only way a unit can earn its value, hp drops do not equal kills for the ranged units, but that means when melee starts your men will have less "healthy" enemies to fight so kills will technically be faster

Thanks for the ranged talk. I don't usually have a problem attacking/being attacked, but the information and ideas are good regardless. I normally just bring one type of ranged unit, but I suppose I'll be trying two now. Thankee sir.

I'm glad this section has turned more from disconnection issues to strategy.
  • Galvanized IronGalvanized Iron Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,058
    edited September 2013
    As others have said, cavalry is not something you force someone to attack with (unless you mean missile cavalry), cavalry/elephants is a tool for attacking or used defensively to protect your missiles. Missiles is what forces someone to attack you, if you got 3-4 missile units left and the enemy has none he pretty much has to attack or be slowly duke under to missile fire.
    |Sith|Lord|Galvanized Iron
  • Argon ViperArgon Viper Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 156
    edited September 2013
    Always keep in mind that a guy who's camping has given up the initiative.

If he's got enough ranged units to keep you at bay, you can rush with your infantry because his infantry is probably weak. Hit every one of his units with one of yours and use the remainder to flank.

If he's got enough cavalry to keep you off his flanks, his infantry center is also probably weaker. Distract him on the flanks and push the center as before.

If he's got enough infantry in the center to hold you off, his cavalry and/or range are probably weak. Engage him from the flanks. If he turns to face the flanks, charge up the center.

Also, just because he's facing a certain direction doesn't mean you have to attack from there. If he's on a ridge, climb the ridge at another point and engage him from the same height. Attack from the right or the left. Heck, circle around behind him.

Always remember that the camper cedes the very important advantage of mobility.
  • AbiesterAbiester Registered Users Posts: 3
    How to win against ranged focused or cavalry heavy teams in multiplayer??

In a multiplayer battle, it is best to recognize the shortcomings of your faction's troops and understand that of your opponents. In multiplayer battles consisting of 3+ players, having a more defense (ranged) and flexible (speedy) comp is advisable as it allows you to rotate units more easily and launch skirmishes and strikes to your opponent. But what if I don't got good calvary or ranged units ? How do I beat the big bad defensive and flexible teams?

Well, let's start with ranged focused teams. Their biggest shortcoming are heavily armoured and/or shielded calvary units as they are literally sitting ducks with bubble blowers. But a strong alternative to that is bringing armoured and shielded infantry along side a few units a calvary and some archers, cycling your archers in and out of their archers range while having your infantry advance towards them and bringing your calvary as a distraction behind their lines. As such, they will be forced to micro manage their archers to fire on yours, having to reserve/ use their calvary or other units to continuously deal with your calvary, allowing your shielded units to soak up some of their volleys while closing the gap between your armies. Although this strategy seems much more plausible in a 1v1 match, in a 1v1v1 match it can be ever more effective. Although you'd have to keep your archers defended/ closer to your main body, the third/fourth opponents would have to make the choice between firing their arrows at the shielded, armoured infantry or the suppressed infantry, and tied down archers which normally get more than their moneys worth... Hmmm I wonder which they'd pick? Then you after you defeat the ranged heavy army, get as much value as you can by dealing with the third/fourth/etc.. opponents.

Against calvary heavy armies, formation is key (eg. the square) and due to the immense micro managing challenge they have, you should normally be able to pick up some positive engagements.