Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Laptop will not load past the Windows Logo screen!

Son of EgyptSon of Egypt MemberPosts: 68Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Hi I have a Dell Latitude D610. Whenever I turn it on, it just stays at the WIndows logo screen and doesnt go past it! I have already tried to push f8 and choose The Last Known Good Configuration, and it still wont work. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!
Post edited by Son of Egypt on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Easy as Dell... If a ballpeen hammer is not immediately to hand, I have enjoyed punching, punting and jumping on them. That said, if I am not getting any satisfaction from the install and not conversant with commandline editing, I am probably getting the windows disk and doing a repair. What version OS do you have? Do you have a windows disk, if not do you have the recovery or whatever nonsense Dell called it? Also if you know your OS, do you know what subversion (like deluxe, home, 64 bit,) and SP # if any (SP refers to service pack and will usually be seen as something like Windows XP SP3).

It may be you would also like to go to bios and try resetting it to deafault settings... But lets get a few answers to the questions I have posed first?
    Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Son of EgyptSon of Egypt Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Haha thats hilarious! Believe me, I have desired to do just that many times!

Ok let me see if I can answer some of these questions. I am by no means a computer expert, so please forgive me if I cannot answer all of them.

To the question "What version OS do you have?" I can answer that I'm an uncertain of exactly what it means. But I will take a guess and say its Windows XP.

To the question "What subversion do you have?" I will say honestly that I do now know what that means. I apologize.

To the question "What is the SP #?" I must again say that I do not know. I'm very sorry.

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance you give me. I appreciate it immensely!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,221Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Have you or anyone done anything to your laptop recently? Installed programs, installed new hardware, opened the laptop, ran out of battery, anything that's not routine? Sometimes old laptops just bite the dust like that.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited January 2011
    Um, well. I recently bought this computer, and since then I have install numerous games on them, including Rome and Medeival, and all of their add-ons. I also installed a few other, but I cannot remember them since I cannot get into my computer to see it!

As well as the games, I bought a mouse to help me with the micro management part of the games. I do not think that is the problem because I've used it for a while now and these problems have not happened.

I have not tampered with or unscrewed any part of the laptop. So thats not the issue.

Everything has been perfectly fine (aside from a few faults in gameplay) until now.

I will also say that this computer was relatively cheap and not the best I could have gotten!
    edited January 2011
    was it brand new when bought?

• Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited January 2011
    I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer or a reputable local dealership and have them take a look at it. It sounds like something is either not booting up in Windows, or Windows has a problem within itself.

Do you have all the install discs/programs separate to files on the computer? The reason I ask is because it could, and I stress that I only suggest this may be the problem, require a clean sweep and reinstall. Many dealerships can circumvent the big issues with this and save some if not all of your saved files on the machine if they do a clean and sweep. I've had to do this once before when my machine died, and it was a pain to reset everything, but better than starting from scratch.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
    edited January 2011
    It was not brand new, it was used!

I plan on taking it to a computer store soon. True, it wont be fun to reset everything, but it IS better than startingall over again. THanks for the help guys. Any additional help you might be able to give me is very much appreciated. :)
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I would love to help you, but if you could please let us know

1)Do you have the windows disk, and is the windows key(serial number) stuck on your laptop somewhere, or still with the windows disc in your possession?

2) If you do not have the windows disc, do you have a recovery disc or some such named item from Dell that includes the operating system? And if so do you have the windows key stuck on your computer or elsewhere and available to you?

XP can have all sorts of reasons that it simply gets sick of starting up one day (like me!) and it may need a repair of start up files, something has adhered itself to your operating system and wants to comeon at startup and your machine isn't having any of it, a system file is missing, or any of a few other things that don't have to do directly with windows but can interfere with it starting up (including media or hardware component failure). It is usually either something has corrupted, gone missing, or been lost in a bad sector or somesuch and can be repaired with te disk, often rather automatically... Sometimes its NOT so easy and you can try a 'dirty' install (dirty because you aren't really wiping stuff and starting over but just writing on top of what is already there. This is not always successful, and if not, usually only leaves a mess requiring a full wipe and start-over situation. There are those times when even this will not work, and then we are usually talking about a component failure somewhere.

ALl of this is lovely of course assuming you have the disc and key. Without either of those, it is not possible unless you can somehow gain access to both (assuming yo uhave the key and, perhaps, borrowing an XP disc from a friend or relative for example).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    reinstall. if its hanging during the windows logo loading screen its a fubered driver. tried booting to safemode to check?
    edited January 2011
    Yep, could be that too, my favorite in that category would be the DVD drive...

edited January 2011
    Yes I have! It still has not worked.
    edited January 2011
    It was not brand new, it was used!
    I'm starting to think this is why. At this point, a computer of that age and make will likely have so many deficiencies that you can't possibly solve all of them before the time and money spend would be more than just buying a new laptop.