Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Anyone else feel like Shogun's gonna be...

-cap1tal1sm..-cap1tal1sm.. Junior MemberPosts: 3Registered Users
edited February 2011 in The Graveyard
more of the same?

I mean really, what "new"things are they putting into this game? Let's go step by step into the features of Shogun...
Total War redefined:

Shogun 2 is the ultimate refinement of the original formula with a new, cutting-edge AI, more polish and online functionality than ever before. The result is the perfect mix of real-time and turn-based strategy gaming that invites both veterans of Total War and new players to experience the enjoyment and depth of the series.

Vague, baseless, fluff. So far haven't seen a concrete change.

New character progression:

Choose from 9 different clans and compete on and offline for the undisputed supremacy of Medieval Japan. Gain experience to level up your own character-warlord as well as your generals and agents.

Good to see they're expanding on the number of factions... :rolleyes:
Sweet, we can level up our agents now! Oh wait...we could do that as far back as Rome: Total War...
A complete single and multiplayer offering:

Play through the Main Campaign in single player or invite a friend online to play competitively or cooperatively in Campaign Multiplayer mode. Join 8-player multiplayer battles with your own upgradable avatar and climb the online Leaderboard to show the world who reigns supreme. Also including exciting new modes of team play for clans, a first in the Total War series.

Moar multiplayer, moar of the same...
New Generation AI system:

Developed according to Sun Tzu’s principles in the Art of War, the Artificial Intelligence constantly ****yzes its situation and reacts to your every move with greater precision and variety

This made me laugh. They just blandly say "Eh, there's some new AI...and we base it on a book." They don't explain what exactly the AI will be doing differently now, how the campaign AI will improve from pre-cavemen levels, or how the AI will finally intelectually challenge the player.

Improved land and naval battle gameplay:

Land battles never felt so realistic with new multi-staged castle sieges and terrain features changing according to the weather and time of the day - turning each engagement into a tactical challenge. Set buildings on fire to force garrisoned troops out and use your units’ special abilities to turn the tide of the battle. Naval combat also offers more variety with the addition of coastal battles. Islands can work as effective cover for your ships, while sand bars and reefs can be used as traps against an enemy fleet.

Actually, they were more realistic in Rome. Lol.
Okay, they add in land to naval battles, but typical neo-Total War, it doesn't have any actual value; you can't land troops D-Day style on a beach, it's just for looks.
Accessible and in-depth empire-building gameplay:

A streamlined User Interface makes management of your kingdom much easier. Build and govern cities, recruit and train troops, conduct diplomacy and manage your agents – each feature is now introduced with comprehensive tutorials, gradually revealing the depth of the Shogun 2 campaign map – the heart and soul of the Total War experience.

The same as any other Total War game.

In summation, I believe Shogun is just another marketing attempt to sell games. They added absolutely nothing to this; not to detract from the skill of the developers, (necessarily) but it's near impossible to make any significant changes in a couple of months work. They're using an old idea, claiming it's "going back to Total War's roots," when in actuality, it's cause they're too lazy to think of an idea.

Prediction: Stupid campaign AI, Overpowered or underpowered battle AI, and dull factions (It's one country! How diverse can the troops really be...?) After all, the epitome of the Total War games lies in the difficulty settings: In order to make the game more difficult, they don't make the AI smarter, or foresee tactical changes farther in advance, but they just give them point bonuses, in both campaign and battle.

I don't want to keep conquering the map CA, it's getting boring (Doubly boring conquering the same map twice!); I want an innovative AI to interact with, make me think, and not just outright "throw stacks at"
Post edited by -cap1tal1sm.. on

Comments

• NecroNecro Senior Member Posts: 136Registered Users
    edited February 2011
  • nobunaganobunaga Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    im guessing your not looking forward to S2TW
  • -cap1tal1sm..-cap1tal1sm.. Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I'm just not going to drop $50-60 (Not counting possible PC upgrades) on a game with a couple more pixels than STW1...maybe I'm just poor?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Moved
    ...In summation, I believe Shogun is just another marketing attempt to sell games. They added absolutely nothing to this; not to detract from the skill of the developers, (necessarily) but it's near impossible to make any significant changes in a couple of months work. They're using an old idea, claiming it's "going back to Total War's roots," when in actuality, it's cause they're too lazy to think of an idea.

Prediction: Stupid campaign AI, Overpowered or underpowered battle AI, and dull factions (It's one country! How diverse can the troops really be...?) After all, the epitome of the Total War games lies in the difficulty settings: In order to make the game more difficult, they don't make the AI smarter, or foresee tactical changes farther in advance, but they just give them point bonuses, in both campaign and battle.

I don't want to keep conquering the map CA, it's getting boring...

This is more of a Rant than anything substantively open to discussion...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • XooXoo Senior Member Posts: 2,997Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    mm - We wanna AI should be smarter than us... But.. Let TW work so long they could... If u wanna to do it, do your job for MOD group, so fine. None is free projects... ... All minor/major AI will make from own history who worst enemies and wanna to destroy them. Good reason TW said 55-60 years on grand campagin. If 100 years -> More stranges plus more fantasies.. A minor clan become Shogun...Yah?

When Shogun 2 become successful, so next games will be better and better....

It is just my meaning...
    Carthage > Burn Rome :p
    Macedon > Burn Rome :D
  • nobunaganobunaga Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I'm just not going to drop $50-60 (Not counting possible PC upgrades) on a game with a couple more pixels than STW1...maybe I'm just poor?

Im more than confident that this game will be far superior to the original shogun and also in previous games you could not choose your generals attributes when they level up in previous games also the book art of war by sun tzu will make the ai very challenging. Art of war has been used by many great generals of the past.
  • jojo11jojo11 Senior Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    he rights but its too explain it to new people. the only thing i care is the infantry naval mix and a east asia expansion
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I play most games for a couple of months before dropping them. On the other hand I keep TW games for years. I have Rome, Medieval 2 and Napoleon installed on my machine and I keep switching between them as my mood changes.

If you don't feel like buying the game it's your right as a customer, but TW is the ultimate strategy and tactical gaming experience for many people and I'm sure tons of people are going to pre-order the game to have a chance to play it on release day. It all depends on your preferences and how much you like a game.

PS: I remember ranting to the original announcement of TW:S2 about the Sun Tzu's part on these very forums. I agree with you, it's totally meaningless and is only a buzz phrase. But that's called marketing. I don't judge a game on marketing material, I refer to previews, reviews and demos to decide whether to buy a game or not. And so far all previews and reviews have been 100% positive with no negative comments to be found anywhere.
  • SkunkOneSkunkOne Banned Posts: 333Banned Users
    edited February 2011
    I have never heard more moronic babble in my life, seriously dude you have no idea what you are saying.....................
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    SkunkOne wrote: »
    I have never heard more moronic babble in my life, seriously dude you have no idea what you are saying.....................

LMAO,depending on your point of view, this is undoubtedly true, but WHICH moronic babble is the question... :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,224Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I was thinking of doing a Raja-style hoe-down on his post, but the endless rhetoric turned me off.

But I'll say this: you need to PLAY the game in order to prove your points right, now sit here, glance at the words, and magically know what the game experience will really be "moar of the same!"

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited February 2011
    cap1tal1sm,

Write 25 proper posts to show the forum you're a serious member, play the game and then make a constructive thread like this and I'll treat your comments with all the gravity they deserve but until then you look like someone who just joined up to troll.

Moved to the rubbish pile.
This discussion has been closed.