Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Would you buy cutting edge hardware?

DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior MemberPosts: 1,549Registered Users
edited February 2011 in Technology
I am always plagued with this question when upgrading or buying a new piece of hardware. It took me 3 months to buy my current TV and the only reason I "rushed" my process was that I wanted to watch the World Cup last year in Full HD :D (Yes, sometimes I'm in the market for months before buying something)

When it came to my previous rig upgrade, I went for a step below the cutting edge (an i7-950). Now I will upgrade my Graphic card before TW:S2's release as my current graphic card is having a tough time when 3D Vision is turned on (GTX 260, frame rate is less than half with 3D Vision on)

So once again, I am in a dilemma: Should I buy the most cutting edge Nvidia card (which will be released next month and will have two GPUs and 3GB of VRAM), or should I get a GTX 580 or a GTX 570? (clarification: the purpose of this thread is not asking for which one you think I should get, but your input is more than welcome :D)

Most of the time, when I have an upgrade in mind, I set a budget based on my preliminary research. Then I refine my options based on the budget (give or take 20%). But most of the time I end up buying something beyond my budget by several folds (like in my previous upgrade where I've exceeded by budget by over 50%).

I am a sucker for better performance. But I almost always stick to the piece that is just one step below the best as that usually offers a better performance-to-price ratio.

How would you describe yourself and your purchasing behavior?

PS: Sorry for the long post, but I don't think AlJabberwock's answer would be shorter :D

PPS: If you have an input/advice about the GPU upgrade, know that budget is not an issue. Only the performance-to-price ratio as I don't like to feel that I'm being robbed.
Post edited by DarkSideHome on

Comments

• HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited February 2011
    Personally no, I wouldn't unless said hardware is a Mobo or PSU.. This is due to future proofing, generally its the best idea to spend your money on the newest parts that will define compatibly in the future, this is your Mobo and PSU mostly... They will define your choices in the coming years, and will save you money and frustration in the long run.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,235Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I usually buy in the "upper-mid range". Sometimes the top models have only trivial bonuses, like a 5% increase from the next model below. It'd be like buying MS Office Enterprise edition when all you'd use is Powerpoint of Word. Things like GPU I'm less likely to compromise though. I'd definitely buy the lowest 5870 card on newegg for example, but only if a 5850 is very close to the price.

As for the OP's question, in that position I would opt to buy the top current card of today, when the new series are released, on the basis that prices will likely drop because of the new line, which will have high prices in itself as well as likely not offering any revolutionary leaps and bounds that would justify getting it ASAP in the first place. Worse comes to worse, I'll turn down the settings when the next new game is released.

Of course, I wouldn't really be consistent with this position if I had a bajillion dollars like the tech mods around here.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited February 2011
    Where did you get the idea that we have Bajillions of dollars? We just know where to get components for cheaper :P hehe
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • GodofCatsGodofCats Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I almost always buy cutting edge. This is due to the fact that I have saved up for the purchase for some time and just want top of the line for now hardware.

I do planning, but when I have enough saved up where I can do a serious upgrade, I do it.

It may not be the smartest or most practical way to go, but if I were to try and make a purchase at a time I would drive myself crazy (even moreso than I am now) by pondering and mulling over whether or not this part should wait, or that part should go first, or which part should I absolutely upgrade next, etc., etc.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    To clarify: I do not have a bajillion dollars. Contrary to popular belief (if Daelin is popular), I have even less than a jillion, however as HWM said I DO build my own stuff and buy it all online in the US, which helps...

@DS
    To your OP, what I buy (for internal use) depends on what I am trying to do. I often have very different objectives to do with either a new tech or learning about something that might or might not work in a new way that isn't already being done. How long it may take me to make the investment depends on two things: Is it new tech or application of an existing tech in a new way? Is it neither of those?

If it is neither of those, it takes me about twenty minutes on average as I will usually be aware of the likley suspects well in advance of an actual need to make the build, so I will just be looking for sales, or last-minute entries. If it is one of the former, it takes me anywhere from a week to a month to read what documents may be available, consult with my buddies at ETA and or MS if it is something really unusual, and then I'm on it. I am usually less concerned with whether it is 'cutting edge' than if it is interesting in some ground-breaking way as these two things are not the same. Like Daelin, I rarely will buy the most expensive model unless what I am interested in can only be accomplished with that, although I usually will only buy the best of whatever level model I AM acquirng.

This time frame was longer before I began building liquid cooling systems simply because of the volume of material and the amount of engineering-level documentation I had to absorb on various physical-system attributes and materials characteristics.

PS, My post is shorter than yours :p
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I may butt in here and ask a possibly stupid question. If I were to buy the components for a machine in the US, do I have to pay duty when they are shipped over here? If I did, I wouldn't be saving any money, but the components in the US are so much cheaper than the UK.
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I can't answer the part about customs and duty charges, but I have a small warning. Shipping costs are very high (not sure if it's the same between US and England). It costs me 12$ per 0.5 kilograms to ship something from US/Europe to Dubai. Also remember that RMAing is very costly in case you get a defective part (pay shipping 3 times not just once). So it is safer to just stick to buying your stuff from the UK.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Have to agree with DS (ack!) on the shipping and RMA procedure. UNless you are certain no RMA will be required and or you are buying VERY expensive and light-weight components, seems hard to make a reasonable savings for the risk... And my post is AGAIN shorter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited February 2011
    maff87 wrote: »
    I may butt in here and ask a possibly stupid question. If I were to buy the components for a machine in the US, do I have to pay duty when they are shipped over here? If I did, I wouldn't be saving any money, but the components in the US are so much cheaper than the UK.

UK customs do spot checks on incoming packages and add customs charges onto goods with a higher value of £18.

Just grabbed this from HM Revenue and Customs website it seems it's now £105 although that figure seems a bit suspect to me, why would it suddenly jump from £18 to £105?
    I have been charged VAT and duty for goods bought over the Internet, why is this?

All goods imported into the UK from countries outside the European Union are subject to Import Duty and VAT at the rates applicable. However, import VAT is not payable on commercial consignments if the total value of the goods in the consignment does not exceed £18. This limit is raised to £40 for personal gifts between private individuals. If this tax was not applied, there would clearly be an unfair advantage to foreign businesses over UK trade.
    Where the value of gifts is below £290 per consignment, a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied - but only if it is to your advantage.
    With effect from 1 December 2008, customs duty will not be applied on goods with a value less than £105.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_FAQs&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD_008654#P36_6965
    edited February 2011
    LOL! Numbers and inflation.

Rather concentrate on items that you might actually get enough tax on to pay for the time of the inspector... Given the 18k items all valued below 100 pounds delivered into each port per day, its probably just a pointless excercise to suggest the 12 inspectors assigned to a given port could possibly make any impact anyway.

• DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    And my post is AGAIN shorter.

And it must be killing a little bit of your soul every time that happens :p
    edited February 2011
    What a kind, if left-handed, compliment to suggest I might have one...

Mmm, what was this thread about again?

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Cutting edge hardware.

It depends a bit what kind of hardware we are talking about. When buying Graphics card I usualy buy the fastest one I can afford. As high end graphics card usualy stay under the EUR 500,- I mostly end up buyin the cutting edge components.

When it comes to CPU's & Mainboard I won't be buying cutting edge just because its too darn expensive. I just a buy the best CPU, Mobo, Cooler & Memory combo I can buy for the budget.

Another factor is the already mentioned performance difference. Or performance per currency. A EUR 1000,- CPU is not that much faster then a EUR 300,-. But a EUR 450,- Graphics card is a lot faster than a EUR 200,- model.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited February 2011
    Cutting edge hardware.

Thanks lordmaximus! I KNEW there was something topical around here besides isopropyl! (lol)

That is an interesting observation by the way, and translates to the dollar quite seamlessly. While we all know this instinctively, I am not certain anyone has concisely stated this difference between CPU and GPU price/performance (dis)parities... (PPdP lol).

Another good rule of thumb for would-be builders.

• ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    aim for mid level performance items and you cant go wrong generally, thats my rule.

the high level performance have a massive markup for the results, so are to be avoided, yet you want something that lasts which generally avoids the lower and mid midrange.

it depends on budgets, i wont spend over £120 on a motherboard, 80 on a psu, 250 on a cpu, 90 on ram or 100 on a harddrive. gpu's i stretch to 250 but prefer 200 mark. whilst i tend to use my old case (v1 coolermaster 690 for 80 quid) 35 for cpu cooler.

i rely on the better performance for the same price that cycles constantly. i generally make new builds every 2 years.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Even without things like the SB chipset snafu, I generally do not buy the most cutting age of stuff. Primary reason remains: budget. Like most, I tend to aim between the middle of mid to high of mid range. If you look at the Intel i-series, my aiming point would be somewhere near i5-760, although I settled for a cheaper (and less capable) AMD alternative. The only thing I intend to "splurge" on is the graphics card, though I am waiting for further downward movement of AMD HD 6XXX prices. Still, the range is about 200-250 USD?
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!