Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patch 4 Beta Live Now - updated on the 10/10/2013

Comments

• DaOneShotDaOneShot Senior Member Posts: 177Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Cai feels kinda weird now. They still kind of ignore players if you choose to play as rome, sparta or macedonia for example even if you play on legendary. They seem to hate nations like egypt or carthage tho ( i prefer to play those hard races cause its boring to play as rome for example currently ).

The cai also kind of seem like its cheating nowadays. Their population is always happy even if they just took over a city, they sometimes run around with 4 generals even if they only got 1 city left, and they seem like they would never run out of gold.

I mean, i definitely want a harder and smarter cai/bai, but i dont want a cai that is not playing by the rules ( makes them unpredictable ) could be that its not the case but i had this feeling about the cai in my newest legendary campaign as carthage in beta patch4.
  • Salthan NewarkSalthan Newark Senior Member Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    It's not much in the way of feedback, but the Veneti have the honour of being the first AI faction to ever declare war on me. This was a new campaign, playing as Rome on legendary. I'd left the northern part of Italy undefended whilst I was embroiled in a couple of wars in the South, when the surprise declaration came.

I quickly reinforced with a fresh army, and the Veneti are yet to actually attack me, but something's changed for the better at least!
  • Cpt FestimCpt Festim Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Civil war now seems to be broken. Playing as Carthage on hard, the enemy troops (9 stacks of armies, 6 of navies) took over Carthage and then sat there suffering attrition penalties, even though I had unprotected regions nearby that they could have moved on. It was only when I asked my client state Libya to enter the war that the civil war troops moved (5 turns later).

It seems like the protect your last city logic is taking precedence over the civil war logic....?

Had the same problem....tought civil war was supose to be challenging....guess i was wrong
    When you make a mistake, admit it, learn from it and move on.
  • salamadersalamader Senior Member Posts: 171Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    once you beat a few of the civil war generals, the others i have found just stay in forced march stance and run around aimlessly. It took me 30 turns to eventually herd them into a corner of the map. It was so bloody annoying.

I also think that there should be the chance of multiple civil wars, prompting you to actually give a **** about your politcal influence etc.

I have also noticed in recent campaigns in patch 4 that I get loads of political intrigue events (which i love) and then after about turn 20. Nothing. Its 56BC on my current campaign and i dont remember the last political intrigue event.
  • BarbolaniBarbolani Member Posts: 56Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    salamader wrote: »
    I have also noticed in recent campaigns in patch 4 that I get loads of political intrigue events (which i love) and then after about turn 20. Nothing. Its 56BC on my current campaign and i dont remember the last political intrigue event.

Me too, I think maybe it is Civil war related, because since I won mine, those events dissapeared. Has some kind of sense in the political events, but not with others (The "Notorious Craftsman" and others like this)

Also, I've seen AI starts to recruit elite units, but sometimes you still may find an army with 4 spears and 15 slingers...

And I could'nt notice any anti flanking tactics I've seen in the patch notes. Generally speaking I achieve flanking in 100% of my battles with my cavalry while te enemy spearman are busy in the front line and his cavalry is inexistent or not enugh (except the Eastern tribes, of course)
  • PharaohciousPharaohcious Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Im planning on buying the game this weekend from steam, would these updates be included (or at least the first 3)? Or would I have to take care of that myself?
  • El Monstero29El Monstero29 Senior Member Posts: 540Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Im planning on buying the game this weekend from steam, would these updates be included (or at least the first 3)? Or would I have to take care of that myself?

For the love of god don't buy this game! Wait at least another month when it will (hopefully) be much better
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins
  • Lord ZeusLord Zeus Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Been playing the patch for a while now and the things I'm noticing so far are

1. General is dying really really quickly... Would be nice if the General didn't die so easily

2. When using the tab key to look at the map, can't tab out of it for some reason

3. In battles, often when I send a group of spearmen to chase some archers, they'll run back and my spearmen will stop chasing them and just stand there while they get impaled by arrows... would be nice if they kept the chase up
  • LugerLuger Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I can confirm the inability to tab back out of strategic overview on the campaign map. I can tab in but cant tab out. Gotta use the UI button.
    Rome is mother to us all!
  • DunetsDunets Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited October 2013

Dont buy it yet
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Corsair 3rd gen SSD 256GB
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
  • UltimaratioUltimaratio Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited October 2013

Save your money. The game is aboloutly not worth 50 €. It is still a lame beta version. Dont let trick you by faked vids.
    "The spirit of Germania is the spirit of freedom" - Hegel
    Involuntary Rome 2 fullpriced Beta Tester
    The mysterious button of Rome 2 Where is it gone?:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/90973-CA-Have-you-seen-this-button
  • DefengarDefengar Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I really wish CA would release another statement.
    Rome 2 Total War = the Ford Pinto of modern RTS
    edited October 2013
    Hey,

Played patch 4 for about 100 turns with a friend (coop-camp) me playing Egypt, and my friend with Athens.

EXPERIENCES SO FAR :

- Encountered 6-7 "out of syncs" which the ingame desync detection fixed for us (Good job CA)
    - Game starts off fast but slowing down at around 30 turns in, and 60 turns i can go make myself
    a cup of coffee while i wait for the AI,s turns. (turned off show AI movement)
    (same with singleplayer campaign)
    - Stuck in diplomacy about 4-5 times (thank god for timer)

Note : I,ve got the weaker computer. And ISP delivers 50mbit fiber.
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
    edited October 2013
    Defengar wrote: »
    I really wish CA would release another statement.

Yes.
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
  • DuneDune Member Posts: 42Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    2013-10-09_00001.jpg

So even though Rome had a larger army than me in this game, i've managed to take all of italy and magna gracia with fighting a single non-garrison unit... why? because their armies (in transports) have been moving back and forth between the eastern sea of magna gracia, up past Alalia and then back to that random spot for the last 10 turns instead of fighting me. This really needs to be fixed and all patch 4 has done has increase the size of these useless armies.
  • HorsemanNLHorsemanNL Senior Member Posts: 119Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    That addresses a big piece of AI problems... thanks. Looking forward to the rest of the patches and additons.
    Quo Usque Pro Roma Ibis, CA?
    edited October 2013
    Dune wrote: »
    2013-10-09_00001.jpg

So even though Rome had a larger army than me in this game, i've managed to take all of italy and magna gracia with fighting a single non-garrison unit... why? because their armies (in transports) have been moving back and forth between the eastern sea of magna gracia, up past Alalia and then back to that random spot for the last 10 turns instead of fighting me. This really needs to be fixed and all patch 4 has done has increase the size of these useless armies.

This happens all the time, seems like Rome has the worst AI in this game, just cruising those transports up and down the coastline while beeing overrun onshore.
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
  • MarcerorMarceror Senior Member Posts: 362Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    They're not doing that in my game. Of course, I'm controlling them, and am around 15 settlements shy of my military victory!

Sad to see them in such a state.
    This is not a troll post. Sometimes I make humorous posts. These forums desperately need a bit of humor to contrast all of the angst. Moderators, please do not ban me for making an innocent, humorous post every now and again.
  • MIHALISMIHALIS Senior Member Posts: 125Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Any news on official release of patch 4??
    I understand patch 4 is much more stable in comparison with patch 3...i.e. no reason for a 15 days testing...

except if ca delays patch 4 cause patch 5 is not ready............
    edited October 2013
    Marceror wrote: »
    They're not doing that in my game. Of course, I'm controlling them, and am around 15 settlements shy of my military victory!

Sad to see them in such a state.

Considering how powerful their hastati is, as to other early game units like the levy and such, you would think they would do quite well. I,ve played over 200hrs now, with all factions cept for the Eastern(pontus or whatever it is), and Rome never seem to get going.

Nice to hear they are doing good on youre campaign at least.
    i5-2500k @4.8ghz
    16gb Dominator 1600mhz
    Gefore 680 AMP! ed.
    Win 8

Rome 2 Greek States DLC
  • jkm1864jkm1864 Senior Member Posts: 252Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Yes the magical transports need to be scrapped. I am so fed up with coming to a city and the enemy flees on the ocean with a full stack of soldiers. The AI is better but its still super ******ed. If Jerry played this game He would even agree that one of His kids wrote the AI.
  • bentygerbentyger Senior Member Posts: 574Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Patch 4 has improved gameplay, but decreased frame rate massively on battles where it's raining (It takes 30 odd seconds for the wait or attack option too come up)
    Also, I have noticed an intermittent fault where names of settlements etc will disappear, and I have too click through several other panels before it resets.

Seige AI still isn't holding it's own properly. It has a tendency too sit there and wait to be slaughtered, even if it has superior numbers.

Also, I had my first CTD and my first BSOD on this patch.

Specs are
    i7 2.67
    Gtx 460se
    8 gig ram
    windows 7 (32 bit, yes, I know, upgrade too 64, get into the 21st century blah blah ;) )
  • sobonationsobonation Member Posts: 40Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Please end the AI's ability to indefinitely blockade an enemy's port. Also Iceni should be able to get slaves, otherwise what is the point of the slave market other than getting ambushers for having a level 3?
  • KatterKatter Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    I also have horrible framerates in the rain, with Patch 4 Beta. Other weather types don't seem to be a problem, but in the rain, I drop to like 1 frame per 3 seconds... it is so bad I can't even click through the settings menu or even consider deploying properly.

i5 2.6
    gtx 660m
    8 gig ram
    windows 8 64 bit
  • MattyAndoMattyAndo Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    AI just isn't expanding at all, 80 turns in and the next biggest faction to me has 4 settlements
  • StudStud Senior Member Posts: 498Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    looks like they made some changes to V4 beta. My version is updating right now
  • Matthias CAMatthias CA Administrator Posts: 2,505Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited October 2013
    Hi all,

You might have seen a new download for those who have opted in the patch 4 BETA.

This has called for an update of the patch notes; the following entries have been added:

- Fix rare crash when AI initiated diplomacy with the player.
    Fixed problem with slinger units being overpowered as their shots could hit multiple units and made balancing adjustments to other projectile types.
    - Fixed pike phalanx single-click and double-click attack behaviour. They will now try to maintain proper distance from targeted unit instead of running into them.
    - Made it much harder for enemy infantry units to move/push through a pike phalanx.
    - Flaming projectiles are now set as default for naval artillery when available.
    - Increased the range of torches that can be thrown to burn down gates in battles.
    - Cinematic camera view in battles now works better with siege vehicles.
    - Disabled damage from rolling flammable projectiles that have landed on the ground (This does not include fireball deployables)
    - "Army Destroyed" event message now displays the name of the army instead of the name of the general.
    - The "Food Shortage" event message no longer contains a list of provinces affected. This can still be reviewed in the Provinces panel.
    - Added event message for when units defect during a civil war in Campaign modes.
    - Rank up event message now contains the new rank for both characters and armies in Campaign modes.
    - When attacking a door of a fort with a battery ram, the per cent of damage will now reach 100% when the door to opens, instead of 20%.
    - Fixed issue where double clicking on a map in the map list in the Battle Setup screens (in Custom Battle and Multiplayer Battle modes) would make that map always remain highlighted as if it was selected.
    - Fixed multiple issues surrounding certain events being fired at the same time as winning the game.
    - The movie player for Campaign movies will now correctly re-initialise its full screen state between queued movies.
    - Fixed reinforcing armies unit banners sometimes appearing darker and missing their outlines on the battlefield.
    - Unit banners will no longer appear black when turning on unit flags in a battle after turning them off in the campaign map.
    - Fixed tooltips for incident event effects in Campaign modes.
    - The resources icons in the Trade & Finance tab now fit in the user interface better when multiple (over 6) different types of resources are being traded.
    - Fixed face animations and audio not working correctly in the diplomacy screen when declare war, and prevented adding new offers/demands from interrupting the face animations.
    - Addressed inconsistencies in the campaign Heads Up Display when selecting between enemy and friendly settlements and characters.
    - Added details of the effects to "Public Order" event messages.
    - Fixed text clipping issues on building tooltips in Campaign modes in some languages.
    - Fixed text clipping on the campaign factors tooltip in some languages, now shows ellipsis to show text has been cut off.
    - Fixed possible cut-offs of text in the "Trait / Ancillary Gained" event message in Campaign mode.
    - Subtitles added to the Parthia Civil War video in Campaign modes.

We are committed to continue working on all issues that are found. Thank you to all of you for your help.

Regards,

Matthias
    PLEASE READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING YOUR ISSUE ON THE SUPPORT FORUMS.

Need to contact us?

Forum Terms & Conditions

Formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
  • AquizarAquizar Member Posts: 62Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    There is some extra amount of download happening for patch 4 beta I noticed... never mind
  • Caratacus MagnusCaratacus Magnus Senior Member Posts: 313Registered Users
    edited October 2013
    Kuldeiris wrote: »
    Yeah, the C2D is still a surprisingly effective chip. Linked with a decent GPU and enough RAM it can cope with a hell of a lot.

Yep, I have a core2duo coupled with as you say, good RAM and a strong GPU - I run Rome II all on extreme with nice unit detail, nice faces and stuff, runs better it seems than most - even if it isn't perfect.
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member Posts: 15,259Registered Users
    edited October 2013

- Made it much harder for enemy infantry units to move/push through a pike phalanx.

THANK YOU! :D I must test this! It's been driving me mad, seeing people have so much success with these guys when mine seem to mostly get a bonus for frontal combat, rather than actually keeping the enemy at bay! :D