Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Overclocking Help Needed

MizuBushidoMizuBushido Junior MemberPosts: 28Registered Users
edited February 2011 in Technology
Hi
I have a question concerning Overclocking, I was going to get an i5 760 and an ASUS
P7P55D-E PRO(originally going for Sandypantz and that fell through, no need to cry over spilt milk). I came across a youtube video on overclocking an i5 and they gave settings close to the results I was looking for(3.34ghz=197mgh x 17). Would that be stable setting for an overclock? I'm going for an Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus, after market heatsink,will that be good enough? Do I need to change the voltage? I'm new to overclocking and was hoping to avoid it all together, but thanks to Sandy Bridge I can't. Any advice would be useful and be much appreciated.
Thanks Mizu
Post edited by MizuBushido on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Erm,
    I'm an old biddy when it comes to cooling, so I will not say I would be happy with that cooler because I am not familiar with it. Yet. I will take a look at it and edit this post later.

On overclocking, I do not want to get into the habit of providing advice or being responsible for the OC'ing habits of the community or suggest that we can regularly provide that facility here. Shortly, (before S2 releases) we will be putting up a rather extensive FAQ and Link Library List that will provide sources for this type of information as well as forums, communities and guides for a number of technically related subjects.

That said, each chip/system combination will react slighltly differently in the environment and with the components it finds itself, so there is rarely a 'universal' stable point... There MAY be an establishable stable point for a given mobo/CPU combination, although sometimes even certain other components (notably RAM) can effect this. The same is true of the voltage-you may have to up it to mantain stability, or you may not. ALso note that the process of binning means that some of the better dies may be 760's and therefor remain more efficient (using less voltage and creating less heat), requiring lighter cooling.

Overclocking is not a science, it is an art; a tinkerer's heaven or hell, and a self inflicted wound that is both challenge and occupation.
    Welcome!

God Save You ;)

MuHAH hah hah hah hah haaaaaah!

(On a slightly less demonaical note, as a hint, I would probably scour Youtube and like forums for folks overclocking your specific Mobo and CPU... because as I said there MAY be a specific CPU/MOBO-combo-stable point that is common to them all... or if not, yours will probably not be far off)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I'm no hardware expert, but does your Asus Mobo support overclocking from inside Windows?

I have a Gigabyte Mobo which is n00b friendly. It comes with an application that allows you to overclock at 3 different percentages (+10%, +15%, +20%). For my i7-950 that means a whooping 3.7GHz OC. The nice thing is that the application will do all the required modifications in the BIOS (Voltage, Frequency, Multipliers, etc). Of course, I have added a Coolmaster CPU Fan (V8) which keeps the temperatures under load below 72 degrees.

Check if your Mobo has this feature.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    ASuS usually has a more advanced program called Turbo that requires a bt of knowledge, although I think they have included more locked step items such as you mention in SOME new boards....

Egad - well at least your heat bill should be low :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• MizuBushidoMizuBushido Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Overclocking is not a science, it is an art; a tinkerer's heaven or hell, and a self inflicted wound that is both challenge and occupation.Welcome!
    The very reason I wanted to skip overclocking....:(
    I'm no hardware expert, but does your Asus Mobo support overclocking from inside Windows?
    Yes as AlJabberwock mentioned, it uses Turbo. When it comes to my heatsink here a link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Well I 'm not looking for anything overkill when it comes to overclocking, just slight at best. The guy overclocking the i5 said that it was super stable up until 4.0ghz, I have no intention in doing that.
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the link...
    Well, its cheap. For benefits, it is NOT the stock heat solution which is more of a heat 'saver' than a heat 'sink'...and... its cheap. Thats about it, although it DOES apparently come with an extra clip if you want to buy another fan... an unspoken suggestion by the manufacturer I most certianly would take...Look at THIS at OC Club:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_hyper_212_plus/4.htm

In this price range, I think I would go with a Xigamtek... I think you would find a number of reviewers on that bandwagon as well. The real champions in the air cooling OC league these days are typically the much pricier Noctuas, but the silly inexpensive Xigamateks are often dark-horse challengers. Note the OCC guy was using Thermalrites -Yeah, those have been has-beens for a couple of years...and the article was written in 2009 or he probably WOULD have been using the X's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000%204025%20600035298&IsNodeId=1&name=Fan%20%26%20Heatsinks

edited February 2011
    Yeah the Xigamtek look like very sleek heatsinks, i'll check them out. When it comes to OC'IN what the real difference in raising it from 2.8ghz stock to 3.34ghz anyway. If I didn't would it bottleneck my system or something....hmmm.
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I agree with Al, at this price range, Xigmatek really stands out.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
    edited February 2011
    ... When it comes to OC'IN what the real difference in raising it from 2.8ghz stock to 3.34ghz anyway. If I didn't would it bottleneck my system or something....hmmm.

Um, 0.54 ghz.

LMAO, well you asked what the REAL difference was ;) You may not realize this, but that is an i5... Dude, it TURBOS BY ITSELF to 3.33 ghz without you 'doin' nuffing':cool:

I cores self 'overclock' to varying degrees according to factory preset specs- it is more efficient, allows increased frequency only when needed (manual overclock stays at a higher rate whether the CPU is in use or not), and also allows it to remain available to idle below stock when nothing much is going on - the most common state for most machines. If you don't just let it do its thing when you get it, you're probably doing more work than you need to... I doubt highly you are going to need to OC that for S2.

Third thread today I have advised OC is probably unneccessary - so you're not alone, but [best Freud voice imitation]
    'You ah nought vuweed abowwt yaw cawmputah -rrrrepeat aftah me... "

edited February 2011
    Um, 0.54 ghz.
    LMAO, well you asked what the REAL difference was You may not realize this, but that is an i5... Dude, it TURBOS BY ITSELF to 3.33 ghz without you 'doin' nuffing'
    I cores self 'overclock' to varying degrees according to factory preset specs- it is more efficient, allows increased frequency only when needed (manual overclock stays at a higher rate whether the CPU is in use or not), and also allows it to remain available to idle below stock when nothing much is going on - the most common state for most machines. If you don't just let it do its thing when you get it, you're probably doing more work than you need to... I doubt highly you are going to need to OC that for S2.
    Third thread today I have advised OC is probably unneccessary - so you're not alone, but [best Freud voice imitation]
    'You ah nought vuweed abowwt yaw cawmputah -rrrrepeat aftah me... "
    At last light decended from the sky, behold it was AlJabberwock; he said onto us "Last man leaving don't forget to turn off the lights"then all was well.:cool: