Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Which Rome II expansion would you like?

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,384
    edited November 2013
    Peloponessian total war!
  • SolInvictusSolInvictus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 936
    edited November 2013
    Definitly Barbarian Invasion 2!! Will be an instant buy for me. So love the time period! So love the possibility to save the Empire against barbarian doom!

Honestly this game offers itself for some interesting mechanics should CA decide to do this right.

I can totally see in a similar fashion of Fall of the Samurai kind of a decision:

For example as a Roman faction you have a decision like barbarization vs roman traditionalism: if you decide to go with barbarization you can get a hell of cheap and fearsome barbarian units and maybe good diplomatic relations with other barbarian tribes but at the expense of public order. On the other side if you decide to remain traditional you consequently have access to more traditional Roman units which are expensive but discplined but also less in number. Should you remain traditional you will have less units probably (you probably don't want to hire barbarians restricting you recruitment pool) but you can benefit from a public order bonus.

I can also see for the barbarian factions a similar dilemma with modernization (in the sense of integration with Roman culture) which boost technology (civil and military) and income but at the expense of public order and traditionalism with maybe a public order boost and some special units.

So these mechanics would add flavour to campaign and make it up for a good game.

Of course this time around CA will need to add family trees because in late antiquity royal families were important so not implementing this feature which a lot of players care about will result in an epic fail on their part.

:) hope someone at CA will read this post!
  • WonsuSadosaWonsuSadosa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 177
    edited November 2013
    Sarog wrote: »
    My opinion as well. I think that when expansions offer a single full scale campaign, that campaign is typically inferior to the original one. I only played Barbarian invasion, Alexander, and Rise of the Samurai once or twice each before going back to the superior original campaigns. The only exception to this is with Fall of the Samurai, which was almost like a new game because of the different technology and therefore I played it more substantially than other expansion campaigns.

The Kingdoms model is awesome. Gameplay more focused on a specific geographical region, multiple different campaigns for you to play around with, resulting in something that doesn't feel like just a tweaked, gimmicky version of the original campaign.
    Kingdom expansions were awesome! Yes, and how about we don't repeatedly recycle old ideas and out right old expansions. for example barbarian invasion 2, At that rate(and obvious mass of innovative creativity) I can't wait for Rome 3 and barbarian invasion 3! Because I have no idea what that would be like :rolleyes:
    My wish of something new~ Cough not recycled*
    'Total War: The art of', Set during Seven Warring States of China.
    DLC/Expansion on map: 1, Three Kingdoms period (Goguryeo/Korea). - 2, Rise of the Mongolian hoard.
    - Dynastic Vietnam, Tibet, India, Kingdom of Pagan (Myanmar)
    정의로운 사람만이 마음의 평화를 누린다
    Only the just man enjoys peace of mind
  • Lucius_Cornelius_SullaLucius_Cornelius_Sulla Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 426
    edited November 2013
    At that wait I can't wait for Rome 3 and barbarian invasion 3! Because I have no idea what that would be like :rolleyes:

In Rome 3 siege AI will nuke the gates, instead of torching them.
    "I'm holding a burning torch. Your argument is invalid."
    Publius Cornelius Scipio at the siege of Carthage, 146 BC

Team Helvetii

Team Visigoths
    edited November 2013
    Kingdom expansions were awesome! Yes, and how about we don't repeatedly recycle old ideas and out right old expansions. for example barbarian invasion 2, At that rate(and obvious mass of innovative creativity) I can't wait for Rome 3 and barbarian invasion 3! Because I have no idea what that would be like :rolleyes:

A winning idea need not to be changed. Only tweaked left and right to make it perfect. Seeing how Rome 2 "innovations" stripped down every feature i liked about TW games, i take the lack of creativity anytime over the so called "innovation". Plus you don't have many choices with expansions either is something before or something after Rome 2.
  • WonsuSadosaWonsuSadosa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 177
    edited November 2013
    A winning idea need not to be changed. Only tweaked left and right to make it perfect. Seeing how Rome 2 "innovations" stripped down every feature i liked about TW games, i take the lack of creativity anytime over the so called "innovation". Plus you don't have many choices with expansions either is something before or something after Rome 2.
    Can I buy drugs from you? No, no it doesn't medieval 2 taught us really they can use everything they have and make near entire set mini games. In that case 3, crusades, briton and Teutonic knights if I recall. they used altered or different factions from the main game( let's be honest a mod team could change skins ;) ) not actually related all that closely to the overall game or 'around' the same time. There is no reason why they couldn't use assets from what they have, and base a TW mini expansion in China or india or Africa. No, no that won't do! \^.^/ *Remember to always think in the same old moldy-*** box* New ideas? na, lets just change a few names and be happy with what we have/done before. YAY!:p
    My wish of something new~ Cough not recycled*
    'Total War: The art of', Set during Seven Warring States of China.
    DLC/Expansion on map: 1, Three Kingdoms period (Goguryeo/Korea). - 2, Rise of the Mongolian hoard.
    - Dynastic Vietnam, Tibet, India, Kingdom of Pagan (Myanmar)
    정의로운 사람만이 마음의 평화를 누린다
    Only the just man enjoys peace of mind
  • OhdowsOhdows Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    No more "before" or "after"! No more boring mini campaigns!
    Expand the main campaign!
    Let me take my great empire into India, or Africa. Let me face China. Anything but a new mini campaign, please!
    make a civil war expansion, where all my provinces turn against me!

Whatever you do, let me use my empire!

We know that this engine can use multiple theatres. Add the rest of the world!
    edited November 2013
    Ohdows wrote: »
    No more "before" or "after"! No more boring mini campaigns!
    Expand the main campaign!
    Let me take my great empire into India, or Africa. Let me face China. Anything but a new mini campaign, please!
    make a civil war expansion, where all my provinces turn against me!

Whatever you do, let me use my empire!

We know that this engine can use multiple theatres. Add the rest of the world!

So what would change for you? Just more plain boring settlements to conquer, IMO instead they should add flavour to the game and depth. There is enough to conquer already plus you don't want to add China in a game called Rome 2 TW, it's just not right since it does not have anything to do with Classic civilizations. This game is not Civ5 where you have all civilizations (also ones that were not existing at time to wage war against each other). You have to create a timeframe and territorial limit to what you can conquer otherwise you lose depth to create an illusion of a giant barren world to conquer. Not to mention the historical problems this create. Roman legions conquer Asia?....yeah...game-breaking for me.

I still think the classical expansions are just fine but i'm also happy if they want release some DLCs for adding features on the main game. However instead of adding more lands to conquer and making even more painful the Campaign/Battle/Siege AI problems, they should add DLCs that add depth and flavour to the game. I would pay for a DLC that revamp the political system, add family trees, make the distinction between Roman Empire and Republic more evident and add tons of different events and decisions as well as intrigues and expanded politics. What this game lacks in my opinion is depth not more lands to conquer and people to subjugate.

Plus i still think BI2 would be a wonderful game.
  • ConsulTantalusConsulTantalus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 411
    edited November 2013
    I would like to have an expansion that finally fixes battle play and allows my romans to fight in a mechanistic formation-wise manner.

As promised.

By now they fight in blobs like barbarians.

Please fix this!
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • hernethehunterhernethehunter Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 590
    edited November 2013
    I did want Barbarian Invasion 2 at first but now after playing since release I want an "internal politics and intrigue" expansion
  • AetlaAetla Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 199
    edited November 2013
    Until that game is fixed, polished and working properly im not interested in any CA product.
  • MoutonMouton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 993
    edited November 2013
    I want the way way way pre alpha expansion
    Check out my incredible Youtube account !
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3LYIaGuec
  • JagLoverJagLover Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited November 2013
    Barbarian Invasions

This was one of the TW series finest achievements not for any improvements in AI or game design but simply because playing as the Western empire was a genuine challenge and so was a welcome breath of fresh air in comparison to a number of games in the series where NONE of the factions are difficult to win as, even on the hardest level of difficulty.
  • JagLoverJagLover Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited November 2013

I want to have an experience that covers the full span of Roman history, not several unrelated ones that force me to start from a historical base point. I want to see what the next 200 years of history hold for for the Empire I have built by the end of the current timeframe...or see where things go if I save the Republic instead.

I think the expanded timeline concept and new events could solve some of the current problems with Rome's late game. It would be great to have specific , world changing events like the barbarian migrations, invasion of the Huns, rise of Christianity, etc. All of these things could be done in a way that they would provide a challenge to a large empire. There are so many great possibilities here.

I think the problem with this approach is that the mismanagement of the western empire and the declining effectiveness of their military contributed to their fall. If a player had been managing the empire well up until the point of the barbarian invasions then they would represent far less of a challenge.
  • JeanLannesJeanLannes Banned Banned Users Posts: 276
    edited November 2013
    I'd like to see a Barbarian Invasion II that encompasses the Dark Ages including Charlemagne and Byzantium, to just before the onset of the Normans in 911. It goes without saying that, all the problems of Rome II having been dealt with, and a return to the Total War model of wargaming.
  • SpongebobSpongebob Member Registered Users Posts: 64
    edited November 2013
    Rome 2 Complete!!
  • AetlaAetla Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 199
    edited November 2013
    Spongebob wrote: »
    Rome 2 Complete!!

/pretty much this,

until then i won't even spend a single penny on any CA game,
  • Wargame2017Wargame2017 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 201
    edited November 2013
    fix the game first then expansions only then will i be satisfied
  • ChrisNHChrisNH Member Registered Users Posts: 70
    edited November 2013
    Anything that plays on smaller maps with shorter goals.
  • Free RoninFree Ronin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 329
    edited November 2013
    I really don't want to see an expansion any time soon because that would mean it was rushed.
    Whatever expansion they make for Rome 2 to improve it and fill in all of it's gaps I want them to take their sweet *** time on it. I want it to have all of the features they and the community dreamed of that would make Rome 2 a great TW.
    " But nothing makes the team prouder than delivering a 90 percent game and selling two million copies. So that's the bottom line, and people do come to understand that."
  • LeloucheLelouche Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited January 2014
    I would really enjoy the Annibalian Campaign in Italy.
    And the Justinian Reastauratio Imperii .
  • zzman305zzman305 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 459
    edited January 2014
    The Punic Wars.

Hannibal is neglected in this game.
    Veni Vedi Veci
  • TheBraveKnightTheBraveKnight Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,659
    edited January 2014
    Aetla wrote: »
    Until that game is fixed, polished and working properly im not interested in any CA product.
    Agreed!
    Current Top 3 Total War List

1) Thrones of Britannia - Art style, soundtrack, aging portraits, sieges, politics, and trait system!
    (Prob 3 Kingdoms after I invest more hours. Awesome awesome game!)

2) Warhammer 2 - Eye of the Vortex

3) Shogun 2

Honorable mentions - Medieval 1

• tuffgong_jamaicatuffgong_jamaica Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited January 2014
    Hannibal DLC expansion
    Love the life you live, Live the life you love :)
  • Lt.ChrisLt.Chris Member Registered Users Posts: 60
    edited January 2014
    Rome 2 The Roman Senate
  • rjmac1rjmac1 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2014
    Similar model of expansions to the Kingdoms pack - maybe the 4 expansions could include the Peloponnesian Wars, Punic Wars, Barbarian Invasion, Persian Wars, Justinian Period(Rome's last hope)
  • alecwermuthalecwermuth Banned Banned Users Posts: 506
    edited January 2014
    Alexander the Great
  • LeovigildLeovigild Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Rise of Islam.

I think we already had Barbarian Invasion and on the limited past evidence of Medieval and Medieval II we will not get another BI. Of course this is only a little bit of evidence. If it is a new BI I would still enjoy that, assuming CA takes their time and does it right.
  • Alexander the great 1602Alexander the great 1602 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 126
    edited January 2014
    Barbarian Invasion II. Bringing us the fall of the Western Empire and the beginning of the Dark Ages was one of TW's finest hours in my humble opinion.
    i agree fully
    Team MACEDON
    Team Odrysia
  • CarsonCCarsonC Banned Banned Users Posts: 70
    edited January 2014
    Would like a new stand alone expansion similar to CIG that focuses on the true First World War we know of in recorded history. The Greeks or western civilization v the Persian led eastern invaders.